What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reading Dean Koontz’ Odd Thomas series—finished Odd Thomas, now reading Forever Odd, and am awaiting Brother Odd.

When I read my first Dean Koontz book (From the Corner of His Eye), I did not realize he was a good Catholic boy. 😉 I just knew he was speaking of things like God in a positive way, and it resonated with me.

I’ve since read Watchers, and One Door Away From Heaven, and my admiration for his work grows.
 
I just finished a wonderful thriller called **The Program **by Gregg Hurwitz. It’s about a young woman who takes one of those Large Group Awareness Training courses (like Landmark or est) and gets totally sucked into The Program. The Teacher of the course is a charlatan who physically and sexually abuses his followers. The girl’s father askes US Marshall Tim Rackley to help, and he goes undercover to one of the meetings where he finds out that The Program is very dangerous. I love a good thriller, and Hurwitz’s books are excellent.
 
Just finally finished the Pope’s book on Jesus and started Charles Frazier’s latest, Thirteen Moons.
 
Part 2 of Goethe’s Faust. I’d only ever read little bits of it, and finally found a copy of the second half. So far, it’s at least as good as part 1, and much, much weirder. Truly one of the greatest works of the human imagination.

Also, in the same vein, I just finished Terry Pratchett’s -]Faust/-]Eric. Not bad.
 
I am reading Dean Koontz’ Odd Thomas series—finished Odd Thomas, now reading Forever Odd, and am awaiting Brother Odd.

When I read my first Dean Koontz book (From the Corner of His Eye), I did not realize he was a good Catholic boy. 😉 I just knew he was speaking of things like God in a positive way, and it resonated with me.

I’ve since read Watchers, and One Door Away From Heaven, and my admiration for his work grows.
I am also a big fan of Dean Koontz, love his suspense thrillers and he does always have a positive ending with the good side winning out over great evil. The first one I read many years ago was Dragon Tears which got me hooked. You would probably like his Christopher Snow novels, “Fear Nothing” and “Seize the Night” which were very good also.

I’ve read the first two of the Odd Thomas series and thought they excellent, lots of twists and turns. I have Brother Odd but have not had the chance to read it yet. I want to finish the Pope’s book, “Jesus of Nazareth” first. But as soon as that is finished I’ll get back to Odd again.
 
**I’ll soon be reading
“Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To”

Let us know what you think of this book. It sounds interesting.**

So far, the book is quite good!! 👍

I am also re-reading
WORTHY IS THE LAMB, The Biblical Roots of the Mass
by Thomas J. Nash (and published by Ignatius Press).
This is, hands-down, the BEST biblical explanation I have ever read
of our Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Thomas J. Nash has given
a priceless gift to the church and faithful by writing this
superb book. I recommend it to EVERYONE.

Jaypeeto4
+JMJ+
 
Even if you’re an adult,
for a great reading time,
read
CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG by Ian Fleming.
Yes, it’s about a flying car,
but it’s a great book (and the musical film is delightful too,
though the book is a little “darker” than the movie).

👍 Jaypeeto4 +JMJ+
 
Just finished The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler. Good writing as usual, very depressing.

Halfway through A History of the World in 10 1/2 Weeks by Julian Barnes - absolutely marvelous so far.
 
That’s a great book! If you haven’t read it, you should also read Atlas Shrugged. I think it’s even better than Fountainhead. Enjoy!
I’ve read Atlas Shrugged and loved it. I have to agree that it was better than The Fountainhead.

I cannot agree with Ayn Rand’s objectivism but she is truly one of the great authors.
 
I’ve read Atlas Shrugged and loved it. I have to agree that it was better than The Fountainhead.

I cannot agree with Ayn Rand’s objectivism but she is truly one of the great authors.
I’ve read everything she’s written, just about. Her atheism is a sticking point, and Objectivism isn’t much of a philosophy, but there are other ‘philosophies’ that are tons worse.

Still, no one ever did a better job on dissecting what’s wrong with the Collectivist line of thinking. If you look around, the world of Atlas Shrugged seems to be coming to life.
 
I can’t recommend enough reading “Left To Tell” … it will change your life forever. You won’t be able to put it down either. It is written by a Catholic woman who lost her family in the Rwanda genocide. I believe that some of the profits from purchasing the book go to children orphaned by genocides. Ipersonally believe she could perhaps be a Saint one day.
I just read in my local paper yesterday that she is coming to town for a speaking engagement in November. I will definitely be there if I can get tickets, on sale Monday.

Truly an amazing book, and amazing story, an amazing woman.
 
Ransomed from Darkness by Moira Noonan.

It’s a short book but it’s actually subdivided into five even shorter parts.

The first part is Moira Noonan’s own story. It goes like this. She was introduced to the New Thought movement when she was injured in a car accident and signed up for a program in pain management. The New Thought techniques she learned worked for her and this led to her enthusiastic study of Religious Science of which she eventually became a practitioner. She then went the whole nine yards and got into the Course in Miracles, crystals, reiki, a contemporary Sant Mat group, and so on. Things began to go very wrong after she trained as a clairvoyant. She kept involuntarily seeing disturbing visions. Through various encounters with Our Lady and a knowledgeable priest she was eventually led back to the Church. She tells her story in a conversational style and reading it is a bit like receiving a long letter from a friend.

The second part describes other people’s conversions the author was involved in. These are joyful and inspiring stories of prayer, healings and miracles.

Part three consists of sketchy descriptions of aspects of what might be called the “New Age” movement. This is the weakest part of the book and it’s really no substitute for the better-researched materials available in other books.

Part four provides a somewhat longer description of the Course in Miracles. One interesting tidbit I picked up is that Fr Benedict Groeschel actually knew Helen Schucman rather well.

The fifth part offers criticism and suggestions for the Church as it encounters the so-called “New Age” movement. Again, I think you’d be better off reading this in conjunction with something like JESUS CHRIST THE BEARER OF THE WATER OF LIFE: A Christian reflection on the “New Age” published by the Vatican.

Still, while the book isn’t totally satisfactory as a Catholic response to the “New Age,” it’s a good, quick read. The foreword is by Fr John Hampsch. The book ends with a 2-page prayer for use in spiritual warfare. To protect the author’s copyright, I’ll just give a short extract:
**Heavenly Father, I thank you for sending your son Jesus, who won victory over sin and death for my salvation. I thank you for sending your Holy Spirit, who empowers me, guides me, and leads me to fullness of life.
Lord Jesus, I place myself at the foot of Your cross and ask You to cover me with Your Precious Blood which pours forth from Your Most Sacred Heart and Your Most Holy Wounds. Cleanse me, my Jesus, in the living water that flows from your Heart. I ask You to surround me, Lord Jesus, with Your Holy Light.**
 
The Book of Enoch.

If it’s good enough for St. Jude to quote as the work of a prophet, it is *definitely *good enough for me 🙂 😃
 
Whew – FINALLY got through Justin Martyr’s “Dialogue with Trypho”

Am now continued in my path through the earliest Christian writings and am reading Hermas’ “The Shepherd”

I am planning to work through all the early writings, reading them on-line and then linking up to my book collection – which starts with St. Augustine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top