What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started " Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy " by Donald Kraybill . It is the story of the Nickel Mines, PA Amish school shooting. It promises to be interesting.
Kathy
Let us know what you think about it when youre finished…I might put it on my list :hmmm:
 
I just started reading God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It. It is written by Jim Wallis, who is an evangelical pastor and editor of Sojourners Magazine. I’ll summarize the book with a quote from the Amazon.com review:
What Wallis sees as the true mission of Christianity–righting social ills, working for peace–is in tune with the values of liberals who so often run screaming from the idea of religion. Meanwhile, in his estimation, religious vocabulary is co-opted by conservatives who use it to polarize. Wallis proposes a new sort of politics, the name of which serves as the title of the book, wherein these disparities are reconciled and progressive causes are paired with spiritual guidance for the betterment of society
I bought the book a couple years ago, but just couldn’t force myself to read it. That is hardly a glowing endorsement, but it seems a much easier read this time around. 😊
 
I’m reading “Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Educational Issues” by James Noll, in e-book form for my Master’s of Education.

I’d love to read some non-fiction about multiculturalism, linguistics, and the nature of learning (not necessarily all in the same book, of course) but there are no English-language libraries near me and I can’t afford to buy books anymore. So, I’m just reading my assigned e-books for my course and making do with the 40-odd books on my bookshelf.

I wish I could afford books again. 😦 I know that a year from now, when my degree is finished, I’ll probably be thankful that I sacrificed so much to get it, but right now it’s difficult. But I’ve never met someone who’s said “Oh, man, my worst mistake was getting an education and a master’s degree in my field”, so I’m probably safe, but I miss the finer things in life.
 
“Jesus of Nazareth” by Pope Benedict XVI

“Help for Worried Kids: How Your Child Can Conquer Anxiety and Fear” by Cynthia G. Last
Spe Salvi, Sacramentum Caritatis, and The Adam Complex, (The Passions of Eden) by Dee Margaret Pennock (just started this)
Grace An gel.:love: :angel1: :harp:
 
Let us know what you think about it when youre finished…I might put it on my list :hmmm:
Reading has always been a passion of mine. Never has a book made such a profound impact on me. I cried as I read about the actual shooting. Actually, it has been difficult to read. But I am reading now about the Amish sense of grace and forgiveness. Such a tribute to their faith.

Kathy
 
I’m reading “Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Educational Issues” by James Noll, in e-book form for my Master’s of Education.

I’d love to read some non-fiction about multiculturalism, linguistics, and the nature of learning (not necessarily all in the same book, of course) but there are no English-language libraries near me and I can’t afford to buy books anymore. So, I’m just reading my assigned e-books for my course and making do with the 40-odd books on my bookshelf.

I wish I could afford books again. 😦 I know that a year from now, when my degree is finished, I’ll probably be thankful that I sacrificed so much to get it, but right now it’s difficult. But I’ve never met someone who’s said “Oh, man, my worst mistake was getting an education and a master’s degree in my field”, so I’m probably safe, but I miss the finer things in life.
A Master’s in Ed in Korea? Are you in the military? Anyway, hang in there; don’t overdose on the kimchee.
 
A Master’s in Ed in Korea? Are you in the military? Anyway, hang in there; don’t overdose on the kimchee.
Nope, not military… well…:confused: kind of military. I teach English here, for the Korean military. So I’m not American military, but I’m a civilian contractor to a foreign military.

And don’t you know, Kimchee is an important part of a complete diet! It should be eaten at breakfast, lunch, and dinner!😃
 
**Yesterday I finished “The Last Cato” by Matilde Asensi about a secret society of the True Cross. It’s more of a mystery.

And today I just finished Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials. A difficult read for me, trying to figure out the underlying meanings.

Since I gave up buying books for Lent, I am currently starting on my pile that has been accumulating, starting with “Julie and Julia” by Julie Powell. It’s about one woman’s journey to cook one recipe a day from Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”. If I really, really like it, I may try “Margaret and Martha” by purchasing a Martha Stewart Cookbook and doing the same thing.**
 
I am reading a book called “Carthago Delenda Est” by, well, me. But that’s because I’m editing it.😃 The author needs to add more, and he seemed to be deep in the gin when he wrote certain parts. Also he likes obscure wisecracks too much.

For fun I’ve lately been re-reading good old Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, and Stephen Barr’s book on physics and religion (whose title I forget), and Adler’s “Ten Philosophical Mistakes,” and “An Introduction to the Science of Metaphysics”, by someone I forget.

Yes, those are for fun.
 
*My Grandfather’s Son *by Clarence Thomas. His story of going from wretched living conditions in the South to the Supreme Court, and how his grandfather prepared him.
 
The Secret Diary of Elisabeth Leseur, The Woman Whose Goodness Changed Her Husband From Atheist to Priest. It’s excellent. 👍 🙂
 
“Daily Life in Palestine at the Time of Christ” by Henri Daniel-Rops.
 
How to Read the Bible,
A Guide to Scripture, Then and Now.

James Kugel.

Amazing and disturbing
 
“Daily Life in Palestine at the Time of Christ” by Henri Daniel-Rops.
Henri Daniel-Rops is one of those forgotten historians who deserves to have his work read and re-read. Speaking of which, has anyone read any Christopher Dawson? He is another in the line of Catholic historians whose work needs to be kept current. Dawson is extensively quoted in George Weigel’s The Cube and the Cathedral.
 
**UGH!!!

Don’t buy it! I am 3/4 of the way through this book and am seriously thinking about not finishing it. I have never not finished a book before.

“Julie and Julia” by Julie Powell

How did anyone think to print this? And I thought Jacob’s book about reading the encylopedia was awful, this is way worse. It should have just stayed a blog (the original premise).**
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top