What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In what way disturbing?:confused:
Well, it anayzes the Bible from both a traditional and modern biblical perspective. So there’s a lot of commentary on why, for example, the Garden of Eden story was originally about man’s knowledge of agriculture and child birth, as opposed to a story about the fall of man.
 
Well, it anayzes the Bible from both a traditional and modern biblical perspective. So there’s a lot of commentary on why, for example, the Garden of Eden story was originally about man’s knowledge of agriculture and child birth, as opposed to a story about the fall of man.
Does it give any coherent reason why we should believe the story was meant for anything other than what is apparent? I do not understand why a modern understanding seems to have to contradict the traditional, and I have come across that attitude several times. It is difficult for me to understand why we should believe them.
 
Does it give any coherent reason why we should believe the story was meant for anything other than what is apparent? I do not understand why a modern understanding seems to have to contradict the traditional, and I have come across that attitude several times. It is difficult for me to understand why we should believe them.
What is “apparent” in these stories often depends on what assumptions the reader brings to the table. For example, in the story of Adam and Eve, the “fall of man” isn’t mentioned. Anyway, I’m only 1/3 through the book. There’s a webiste that the author set up which some might find interesting.
www.jameskugel.com
 
Right now I am reading Jane Kirkpatrick’s “Every Fixed Star”

Kathy
 
Believe it or not, I read all these posts last night and it is fascinating to see what people here actually read. I will read some of them myself. Right now I am reading:
Code:
 "Come Be My Light," which is a collection of many of Mother Teresa of Calcutta's letters, with the editor's commentary. This book comes to seem too repetitive after awhile, but gives a very rich understaning of her soul. I am reading and mulling over a few pages at a time

 "Honey from the Rock," ed. Roy Schoeman, which is a collection of the accounts of 16 Jews who became Catholics. This book, which I found out about from a favorable review in the "National Catholic Register" last year, is better than I expected.

 "Visionaries, Mystics and Stigmatists through the Ages,' by Bob and Penny Lord. This couple has written excellent books on the saints, and perhaps are best known through their appearances on EWTN. The title of this particular book had me think perhaps it was too sensational, but it has excellent accounts on people such as Saint Rose of Lima and Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (the American Indian). I order their books inexpensively as used books from Amazon.com and abe.com.

 "Robinson Crusoe," by Daniel Defoe. I decided to read this for relaxing reading after finishing a similar account for young people,  "Island of the Blue Dolphins." The same story by a lesser writer would have been boring, but this book shows why he is an important 18th century English author. I just decided to save this book, though, to read on my flights to the Philippines next month to keep the day and a half of flights from becoming tedious.

 "The Forgotten Soldier," by Guy Sajer, an engrossing self-account by a German soldier on the Russian front during World War II, which I found in a list of best books.

 "Mexico: Splendors of Thirty Centuries," published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Last October and Christmas my wife and myself went to the shire at Guadalupe, trips which got me much more interested in Mexico. I got this book from my library because of the high-quality reproductions found towards the end of this book of the Mexican muralists of the last century, such as Rivera. (Mexican art from other periods doesn't seem important.)

  Keep up the good posts!
 
The Tide is Turning Toward Catholicism by David Hartline.
I needed to hear some good news! His writing isn’t particularly stellar, and he uses wikipedia as a reference (which isn’t supposed to be reliable enough for that purpose), and there were a few other errors, but I’m enjoying it.

Letter and Spirit by Scott Hahn.
saintjoe.com/

I read most of Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.
Be glad Hillary will not be the likely Dem. candidate. Read the reasons why in this book.

I’m a book fan, and read a lot. I’m helping to stock our tiny parish library with book, talks on audio CD, and DVD’s.

Anyone have ideas on how to get people to use it??

God bless,
Mimi
 
When it comes to a parish library, I would think that the best thing is to get books people would actually like to read. You could use this thread for example. Or even start a thread for parish libraries.
The Tide is Turning Toward Catholicism by David Hartline.
I needed to hear some good news! His writing isn’t particularly stellar, and he uses wikipedia as a reference (which isn’t supposed to be reliable enough for that purpose), and there were a few other errors, but I’m enjoying it.

Letter and Spirit by Scott Hahn.
saintjoe.com/

I read most of Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.
Be glad Hillary will not be the likely Dem. candidate. Read the reasons why in this book.

I’m a book fan, and read a lot. I’m helping to stock our tiny parish library with book, talks on audio CD, and DVD’s.

Anyone have ideas on how to get people to use it??

God bless,
Mimi
 
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

I’m not impressed.
 
The Tide is Turning Toward Catholicism by David Hartline.
I needed to hear some good news! His writing isn’t particularly stellar, and he uses wikipedia as a reference (which isn’t supposed to be reliable enough for that purpose), and there were a few other errors, but I’m enjoying it.
I have read the book and see a lot of what he writes about.
I read most of Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg.
I have bought this book and I have it in the queue to read. It is, however further down on my list, but at 45% off, I could not resist buying it when I did. It is still #2 on Amazon’s best sellers.
 
Hi everyone–I finally bought some new books yesterday–and can chime in here.🙂

I bought Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth…and “You Staying Young.” It’s a book about fitness, how to eat healthy–and live disease free throughout life. The same docs wrote the first of the series…You On A Diet…so far, it reads like a textbook which oddly enough, I really have enjoyed. Funny how I didn’t enjoy textbook reading in college, but now I do?🤷
 
Believe it or not, I read all these posts last night and it is fascinating to see what people here actually read. I will read some of them myself. Right now I am reading:
Code:
 "Come Be My Light," which is a collection of many of Mother Teresa of Calcutta's letters, with the editor's commentary. This book comes to seem too repetitive after awhile, but gives a very rich understaning of her soul. I am reading and mulling over a few pages at a time

 "Honey from the Rock," ed. Roy Schoeman, which is a collection of the accounts of 16 Jews who became Catholics. This book, which I found out about from a favorable review in the "National Catholic Register" last year, is better than I expected.

 "Visionaries, Mystics and Stigmatists through the Ages,' by Bob and Penny Lord. This couple has written excellent books on the saints, and perhaps are best known through their appearances on EWTN. The title of this particular book had me think perhaps it was too sensational, but it has excellent accounts on people such as Saint Rose of Lima and Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha (the American Indian). I order their books inexpensively as used books from Amazon.com and abe.com.

 "Robinson Crusoe," by Daniel Defoe. I decided to read this for relaxing reading after finishing a similar account for young people,  "Island of the Blue Dolphins." The same story by a lesser writer would have been boring, but this book shows why he is an important 18th century English author. I just decided to save this book, though, to read on my flights to the Philippines next month to keep the day and a half of flights from becoming tedious.

 "The Forgotten Soldier," by Guy Sajer, an engrossing self-account by a German soldier on the Russian front during World War II, which I found in a list of best books.

 "Mexico: Splendors of Thirty Centuries," published by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Last October and Christmas my wife and myself went to the shire at Guadalupe, trips which got me much more interested in Mexico. I got this book from my library because of the high-quality reproductions found towards the end of this book of the Mexican muralists of the last century, such as Rivera. (Mexican art from other periods doesn't seem important.)

  Keep up the good posts!
Hello:)

I read Mother Teresa’s book Come Be My Light, as well–and although it was enriching and encouraging to us when we stumble in this life–I scratched my head as to what the controversy was about…she never ever lost her faith, like some in the media would have us believing…she was a human being, and thus suffered with sometimes feeling empty despite her vocation and prayer life…I think we can all attest to that. I think she was a beautiful woman, and agree with you–it was a bit repetitive in sections. I am glad that the book is here for us, but I believe that it was published against her wishes…didn’t she want her memoirs burned?😦
 
Just began the Pope’s book, “Jesus of Nazareth”. So far, I am enjoying it and think I will learn quite a bit as well.
 
Just began the Pope’s book, “Jesus of Nazareth”. So far, I am enjoying it and think I will learn quite a bit as well.
Good to hear–I am going to begin it tonight. It is remarkable what brilliant writers the Church clergy are/have been…I have read a few books written by Pope JP2…and although not a pope, Bishop Sheen was brilliant, as well. Really deep thinkers!!!
 
Good to hear–I am going to begin it tonight. It is remarkable what brilliant writers the Church clergy are/have been…I have read a few books written by Pope JP2…and although not a pope, Bishop Sheen was brilliant, as well. Really deep thinkers!!!
Do you have a favorite Bishop Sheen book? I would like to read something by him, but not sure where to start.
 
Do you have a favorite Bishop Sheen book? I would like to read something by him, but not sure where to start.
I do–I particularly enjoyed Peace of Soul, and love his Advent & Christmas prayer book…Peace of Soul is like eating a really rich meal…you really need to take some bite-size morsels–digest–before going on…lol I wrote a book review on it for a Catholic publication, I liked it so much, though. Hope you enjoy it!🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top