What can we do about the shootings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YourNameHere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it is not an attempt to derail the argument.

Back in 1975 or 76, I took a college level writing class and was assigned a research article on the (then) recent UK law passed to ban many types of fire arms. I do not remember the details of the law and after 40 years, no longer have my paper however on point I do remember. The law successfully reduced the number of crimes involving the fire arms targeted. Other weapons (knives, blunt objects, etc) crimes went up almost proportionally.

Currently, there are several thousand laws targeting fire arms in the US, the number depends on the locality. I have passe a back ground check. I have no problem with that.

And to answer another response, Yes, a driver’s licence is more difficult to get almost anywhere in the country but Cars as statistically more deadly than fire arms.

Patrick
AMDG
 
40.png
Asinner:
Well, I now concealed carry everywhere I legally can.
Yeah, I’ve been going unarmed for the past several years, but I’m back to carrying just about full time.

D
I’m looking for a new holster now so I can get back to it. Shame really, but crime is ever increasing in my area. I need to be able to defend myself and my kids.
 
Our culture has become a cancer. You don’t give chemotherapy to everyone - just to those with disease. Each offender, each murderer, has given numerous signals - some very public - which were ignored.

We so often hear of “troubled loners” - and there is part of the problem. Withdrawn to inside of themselves, every thought becomes acceptable. Every horrendous crime is justified.

We have too many troubled loners.

But, now what?
 
Last edited:
Respectfully @HomeschoolDad, have you lost your mind? Even the thought experiment lacks rational perspective.
Thanks, your observation gave me a good chuckle. I didn’t say it would be a good idea, and I didn’t say it would be a bad idea. I just threw it out there.

My gut-level answer would be that it would have been a good thing in societies where you don’t have groups that have hated each other from day one — they’d all just kill each other — but not such a good thing in other societies. In “civilized” societies, if I can use a horribly politically incorrect adjective, you might have had more reluctance for the powers that be to round up inconvenient demographic groups (because they too would be armed), or for enemy nations to invade (because they would meet massive civilian resistance on top of the military response).
I don’t know the answer to gun violence, but I’m confident it isn’t having 7,700,000,000 guns on the planet
As I said above, the answer is conversion of minds and hearts. Not disarming everyone.
 
Everyone has some great suggestions and sensible attitudes on this thread 🙂 sensible and Godly Americans like you are the way it will have to be. I cant imagine what life would be like if we had the same access to guns here what with knife crime how it is on the rise. What I find heart breaking for you guys is that these happen time after time and nothing changes no matter how many marches, protests you do. You must feel like you’re screaming into an echo chamber
 
It’s an attitude problem. A majority of Americans think they have a right to be armed. That’s it. No more needs to be said to explain the problem.

Solving the.problem will require a change in attitudes. That won’t happen any time soon so don’t expect any changes in the death toll. It’s a price that too many Americans are prepared to pay.
 
Well you know, there are other countries where people think they have a right to be armed as well, and where there aren’t huge mass shootings. So. . .is it really all about guns (don’t get me wrong, I don’t own any, I don’t want to), and the attitude, “I am entitled to a gun” that causes these mass shootings, or is there something else?

And look at the recent situations in Japan. No gun involved, but mass killing. Look at the people who have been throwing people under trains, mass stabbings, etc. They didn’t have guns, but what they had was anger and they didn’t care ‘what’ they used.

Until we address that root anger, which itself has nothing to do with guns or weapons, we could regulate every gun in the entire world, vet every owner, conduct daily mental health checks, screen every possible ‘public space’, and still, we could have the same situation over and over --somebody (male, female, young, old, any race, any ethnicity, any socioeconomic class, any religion, no religion) decides, "I’m angry and I’m going to do something about it’ and if they have access to a gun they’ll use it; if they have access to a knife it will be a knife, if it’s ‘just’ their own hands they’ll strangle; if they CAN do it they WILL do it. . .

We need to realize that ‘regulating guns’ is like putting a huge cast on a broken leg; very necessary IF a person has a broken leg, but it will not STOP the person from moving if the person wants to move, and if the person has a broken arm, a leg cast will be useless. Make sure that we are putting the treatment where we need to, one-size doesn’t fit all.
 
There are multiple reasons why a person will want to shoot people. But there is only one reason why they will have ready access to the means. That’s an attitude problem.

Don’t focus on gun control. Focus on attitudes.
 
I remember when mental health institutions were shut down and the mentally ill thrown out into the streets but I wasn’t paying any attention to what the statistics showed that followed. It wouldn’t surprise me if many things resulted…homelessness, shootings in general, rise of drug and alcohol use.

I’m going to look into it as I think this was a leading factor in all of the above.
 
Last edited:
There are multiple reasons why a person will want to knife people. But there is only one reason why they will have ready access to the means. That’s an attitude problem. . .

I AM focusing on attitudes.

BTW, why do other countries have large numbers of guns per their populace yet do not suffer from these mass shootings?

Why aren’t we asking the people there how they are managing this?
 
These shooters are people who have been destroyed by indulging the toxic swill our culture offers.
If toxic culture is the main cause for mass shootings in the US, can we conclude that European culture is far superior to American culture since they don’t have all these mass shootings?
 
Last edited:
A majority of Americans think they have a right to be armed.
Think? It’s in our constitution and it has been reaffirmed over and over again by the courts. In order for there to be a scenario where Americans don’t have the right to be armed we would have to amend the constitution.
 
It’s really becoming the Modern Wild West. Thankfully, Ohio allows Open Carry as well as CCW. I will probably do both.
 
Last edited:
As I recall (not from being there, I’m not that old yet), the lawlessness of the Wild West was brought under control by swift stern justice and cooperation from society.

IOW, towns and states brought in the Rangers and the marshalls and braced themselves for things to get even bloodier as the bad guys learned that they could no longer rely on coercion by gun; that the ‘good guys’ outnumbered them and were willing to meet fire with fire.

The attitude got changed. It took time. A lot of innocent folk suffered. But it took the cooperation of pretty much everybody ‘not bad’ to vanquish ‘the bad guys’. If you just had Dodge City bring in a marshall but nobody had his back, and everybody kept complaining, and bad guy A paid off the local judge, and bad guy B made it clear that they would call in every bad guy around such that all the citizens in Dodge would have somebody tailing him or her with lethal intent, pretty soon Dodge City would be without a marshall. And the people in Dodge City would only be alive day to day at the ‘whim’ of the bad guys.
 
We need to bring back federal Reconstruction
No thanks. That kind of thing easily goes out of control. In my state, anti-Catholicism was adopted as part of it and Catholic priests were hanged for performing weddings.

Probably the very first thing we should do is stop advertising these events. Some psychopath sees the moment of glory achieved by some other psychopath and the next thing you know, it’s happening again.
 
40.png
Nihilo:
We need to bring back federal Reconstruction
No thanks. That kind of thing easily goes out of control. In my state, anti-Catholicism was adopted as part of it and Catholic priests were hanged for performing weddings.
Federal Reconstruction is associated with hanging priests? This is news to me. Which state, or is there a search term or link, so that I can learn more?
 
If toxic culture is the main cause for mass shootings in the US, can we conclude that European culture is far superior to American culture since they don’t have all these mass shootings?
It’s not peculiar to the U.S. Britain has very restrictive gun laws and two knife murders per week.
Adjusted for population size, that would be about 330/year here.
 
Something that we really can’t do. I doubt these things can be done in our current environment.
Bring back Judeo-Christian culture, including prayer in schools.
There are just so many things.
Hollywood needs to re-instate a form of the Hayes Code for movies.
Every child born into a stable family.
Today we are working on a 4th generation of disfunctional families.
Adults need to put their children first.

I was born in the 50’s and spent most of my childhood in the 60’s.
We respected our elders and never even dreamed of calling our friends parents by their first
names. We need to reverse the sexual revolution of the 60’s.
 
I’ve done about as much as I can at this point as an individual private citizen. After the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas high school shooting I stopped voting for any and all candidates who take money from the NRA. It’s my litmus test.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top