O
Observing4Grace
Guest
**WARNING: If you’re not going to give a full reply but something short or if there’s an insult, please send me a private message instead. This is not intended for people who are only going to be here once. **
Hello Friends,
Ever heard of the fabulous nursery rhyme, Mary Mary Quite Contrary? If you can remember it well, I believe the story went off something like this:
Mary, Mary
Quite Contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With Silverbells and Cockelshells
And Pretty Maids All in a Row
Nobody dares to consider the thought until they apply this to what the Catholic Church teaches about Mary. According the various sources, all seems fairly unstoppable in the titles as the list continues to go on and on about her. I do wish to know where they get the titles from and how they should be attributed to her.
"Queen of heaven
Conceived without stain of sin
Ark of the Covenant
Door of heaven
Star of the morning
Healer of the sick
Refuge of sinners
Queen of the angels
Queen of the patriarchs
Queen of the confessors
Queen of all saints
Mystic Rose
Tower of David
Holy Mother of God
Holy Virgin of virgins
Mother of divine grace
Virgin worthy of veneration
Virgin worthy of praise
Powerful virgin
Merciful Virgin
Mirror of righteousness
Throne of wisdom
Source of our joy
Spiritual vessel
Venerable vessel"
And the list keeps going and going and going. Never in my life have I ever seen such names attributed to a saint. Sadly neither any of these titles should be rightly given to her because those titles belong to Jesus Christ himself. He’s the real one who’s the source of our joy and not Mary.
I know there’s a dire need to defend these claims but for the record, may add some more questions to your claims?
**If Mary Can Hear Our Prayers, why isn’t she referred to as an omnipresent being?
If Mary Knows Our Hearts, why isn’t she given an omniscient qualities?
If Mary can come in an out of heaven, does this mean she’s given the power to walk enter hell and preach salvation?
What about her ability of working in the office of salvation, how does she get a title like that?**
I’m not trying to offend Catholics by any means, (that’s why I over looked this carefully) but there hasn’t been any lights shed on these questions. My assumption is that, unlike the Mary of the New Testament whereas she’s portrayed:
**-Insignificant in role, shortly after the birth of Jesus
-Unknown about her life after Jesus’ resurrection, her teachings and his death
-To have very little significance Jesus’ teachings
-Not treated as a superior or equal to Jesus
-Had other kids **
The Mary Catholics portray is almost treated like a goddess. No wonder why protestants say they worship her, these titles imply as if she were. Now, don’t go thinking we’re idiots here but if strangers came and witnessed to a Catholic event where they might:
**-Parade around with a small statue of Mary
-Bow their knees to Mary
-Use the beads to meditate and call upon her for assistance on scriptures
-Make Holy Days Consecrated to the virgin
-Carry a picture around her house **
Someone will eventually conclude that they (the Catholics) actually do worship Mary. Even if they stopped and explained it, I’m sure it still amounts to idolatry because they make claims about Mary which seems as if she were a God. She’s without sin, ever virgin, didn’t have other kids, knows our hearts, I could keep adding because there’s a whole book that speaks as if she were. (For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, please read the glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus Liguri)
I don’t know how we protestants could be wrong about this but I can assure you that this is sheer nonsense. Is it possible for you to show me other convicting evidences that this isn’t worship. I would also like you (Catholics) to show me where in the NT do we also see the classification of worship in such circumstances as yours?
Parker
Hello Friends,
Ever heard of the fabulous nursery rhyme, Mary Mary Quite Contrary? If you can remember it well, I believe the story went off something like this:
Mary, Mary
Quite Contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With Silverbells and Cockelshells
And Pretty Maids All in a Row
Nobody dares to consider the thought until they apply this to what the Catholic Church teaches about Mary. According the various sources, all seems fairly unstoppable in the titles as the list continues to go on and on about her. I do wish to know where they get the titles from and how they should be attributed to her.
"Queen of heaven
Conceived without stain of sin
Ark of the Covenant
Door of heaven
Star of the morning
Healer of the sick
Refuge of sinners
Queen of the angels
Queen of the patriarchs
Queen of the confessors
Queen of all saints
Mystic Rose
Tower of David
Holy Mother of God
Holy Virgin of virgins
Mother of divine grace
Virgin worthy of veneration
Virgin worthy of praise
Powerful virgin
Merciful Virgin
Mirror of righteousness
Throne of wisdom
Source of our joy
Spiritual vessel
Venerable vessel"
And the list keeps going and going and going. Never in my life have I ever seen such names attributed to a saint. Sadly neither any of these titles should be rightly given to her because those titles belong to Jesus Christ himself. He’s the real one who’s the source of our joy and not Mary.
I know there’s a dire need to defend these claims but for the record, may add some more questions to your claims?
**If Mary Can Hear Our Prayers, why isn’t she referred to as an omnipresent being?
If Mary Knows Our Hearts, why isn’t she given an omniscient qualities?
If Mary can come in an out of heaven, does this mean she’s given the power to walk enter hell and preach salvation?
What about her ability of working in the office of salvation, how does she get a title like that?**
I’m not trying to offend Catholics by any means, (that’s why I over looked this carefully) but there hasn’t been any lights shed on these questions. My assumption is that, unlike the Mary of the New Testament whereas she’s portrayed:
**-Insignificant in role, shortly after the birth of Jesus
-Unknown about her life after Jesus’ resurrection, her teachings and his death
-To have very little significance Jesus’ teachings
-Not treated as a superior or equal to Jesus
-Had other kids **
The Mary Catholics portray is almost treated like a goddess. No wonder why protestants say they worship her, these titles imply as if she were. Now, don’t go thinking we’re idiots here but if strangers came and witnessed to a Catholic event where they might:
**-Parade around with a small statue of Mary
-Bow their knees to Mary
-Use the beads to meditate and call upon her for assistance on scriptures
-Make Holy Days Consecrated to the virgin
-Carry a picture around her house **
Someone will eventually conclude that they (the Catholics) actually do worship Mary. Even if they stopped and explained it, I’m sure it still amounts to idolatry because they make claims about Mary which seems as if she were a God. She’s without sin, ever virgin, didn’t have other kids, knows our hearts, I could keep adding because there’s a whole book that speaks as if she were. (For those who don’t know what I’m talking about, please read the glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus Liguri)
I don’t know how we protestants could be wrong about this but I can assure you that this is sheer nonsense. Is it possible for you to show me other convicting evidences that this isn’t worship. I would also like you (Catholics) to show me where in the NT do we also see the classification of worship in such circumstances as yours?
Parker