What denominations believe/promote Jack Chick the most?

• Thread starter Thread starter the2112
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the2112

What specific denominations are people who pass out Chick tracts and believe them most likely to be a part of? I would think you could rule out Southern Baptists and Assembly of God since Chick accused them of being part of the Illuminati during his John Todd days. So what denominations does that leave?

My guess is much of his believers are part of backwoods, non-denominational congregations likely led by ministers who promote Jack Chick. Would you agree, or do you know of any specific large denominations that promote him?

My guess would be the IFB King James only baptist. They are the most rabid anti-Catholics out there.

I was raised in the Assemblies of God. Lots of Chick tracts were given out.

I googled Jack Chick and it turns out that he was, indeed, IFB KJV baptist. Which should surprise nobody if you have heard Steven Anderson preach.

Jack T. Chick has passed away. Is there still a company that promotes and sells his products?

I think that most of the Protestant churches have recognized that these tracts were popular at a different time in U.S. history–a time when the Viet Nam war was taking young men away from their families, when a President and his brother were assassinated, along with a beloved (and controversial) civil rights leader, when Charles Manson and his “family” terrorized Hollywood, drugs were gaining popularity with all classes of society, when rebellion and protests by young people were everywhere, when people were abandoning traditional social organizations including churches, and when technology started replacing human muscles and bra(name removed by moderator)ower in the workplace.

Most Protestant churches these days utilize modern methods to evangelize and disciple people. Jack T. Chick tracts don’t work well anymore.

I don’t think it’s a denominational thing so much as a church-by-church, congregational decision. In my experience, especially in smaller, rural fundamentalist evangelical churches of any denomination, you’ll find the local leadership make these determinations and the rest of the people are usually unlikely to question it from their preacher or elders.

Jack T. Chick has passed away. Is there still a company that promotes and sells his products?

I think that most of the Protestant churches have recognized that these tracts were popular at a different time in U.S. history–a time when the Viet Nam war was taking young men away from their families, when a President and his brother were assassinated, along with a beloved (and controversial) civil rights leader, when Charles Manson and his “family” terrorized Hollywood, drugs were gaining popularity with all classes of society, when rebellion and protests by young people were everywhere, when people were abandoning traditional social organizations including churches, and when technology started replacing human muscles and bra(name removed by moderator)ower in the workplace.

Most Protestant churches these days utilize modern methods to evangelize and disciple people. Jack T. Chick tracts don’t work well anymore.
The company is still very much in business, unfortunately. And someone is making money off of it.

Jack T Chick was a talented and successful secular cartoonist before he embraced Christianity. At one time I made a hobby of confiscating his comic books from public places, especially the ones that address Catholicism — most of them do not. They make for some interesting reading. Most of them are very simple, and quite frankly, do not teach heresy or anything per se objectionable, it is just an issue of what they don’t say, not what they do say. The message is very simple — repent of your sins, change your ways, accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, be baptized, read the Bible, find a Bible-believing church, and “fellowship” (it’s a noun, not a verb) with like-minded Christians. Pretty innocuous stuff. There is even a little humor mixed in with some of the stories. I don’t think it’s a particularly bad evangelization tool, nor even an outdated one. A person could pick one of these up, read it, and say to themselves “yes, it’s true… it really is that simple!”.

The anti-Catholic tracts are, however, very vicious, crude, and are a mash-up of things that are absolute falsehoods at worst, and selective half-truths at best. Even if Alberto Rivera was actually a priest — and I would not bet my soul that he wasn’t — not even Jack Chick can prove that his whole story is not just a pack of lies. A renegade priest could go nuts and concoct a legend that would be precisely what certain audiences want to hear (and could make some money at it while he’s at it). From what I heard, JTC had to “pray about it” to know if the story was real. That is what the LDS (Mormons) tell you to do about their claims — wait for the “burning in the bosom”. That proves nothing.

Unless a Catholic is very strong in their faith, Chick tracts are best to stay away from. They do absolutely nothing to make you a better Catholic.

I always thought of Jack Chick as the Robert Crumb of Baptists style evangelization.

I never looked too closely at them, back in the 70’s and 80’s they always seemed to show up on top of rest stop or truck stop urinals…

Last edited:
Is there still a company that promotes and sells his products?
Unfortunately, yes…

I had to tell two people to stop littering the area with these tracts. I’m not kidding when I say that these things were everywhere from restrooms to door jams. All told I’ve probably thrown a hundred of these things out.

Living in the south and being on the road frequently I used to see his comics everywhere. Now, thankfully, not so much. They scared me to death as a child.

They cost about 17¢ apiece. Considering that 99% of them end up in the trash, it’s a very expensive way to evangelize.

Last edited:
Probably the same as the Watchtower. They are a waste of trees in my opinion.

any and all independent fundamentalist baptist king james only churches

IFB KJV

It’s likely the publishers are true believers. They think they’re doing God’s work.

I have a story that may amuse (or horrify?) some of you. Our town has an annual in-the-street fair, and some guy was passing out Jack Chick booklets. I took one, then put my left hand on his head, made a sweeping sign of the cross with my right hand, and–in Latin–said “In nomine patris…” It totally freaked him out. You could see it in his eyes. He thought I was cursing him or something. He’s probably still telling people about the day some witch put a curse on him. Great fun!

Pretty innocuous stuff

I don’t think it’s a particularly bad evangelization tool, nor even an outdated one.
[/quote]
Not sure why you would confiscate them then( the non anti Catholic ones).

Did they do “50 Years in Church of Rome” Father Chinaquay or something? I read it and some of it can be corroborated…seems very plausible but yes very hard to read if Catholic

Pretty innocuous stuff

I don’t think it’s a particularly bad evangelization tool, nor even an outdated one.
Not sure why you would confiscate them then( the non anti Catholic ones).

Did they do “50 Years in Church of Rome” Father Chinaquay or something? I read it and some of it can be corroborated…seems very plausible but yes very hard to read if Catholic

I did this to keep people from obtaining Chick tracts, liking what they read, wanting to read other tracts that JTC publishes, and either buying them or going online to read them. Also, while the basic message of Chick tracts (the ones that don’t feature anti-Catholicism, that is) is innocent enough, it is partial truth and only partial truth. People need to read the whole truth. We could do far worse than to distribute Catholic tracts of our own in the same way that Chick tracts are distributed.

Father Chiniquy was a renegade priest who later became a Presbyterian minister. I have not read his books, heard of them but never read them, but if he documented abuse and sinful behavior in the Church, some of his allegations might be true or at least half-truths. Some might be outright lies. In times past, such things were covered up, but that’s not possible anymore, with the rise of mass media and instant online communication and networking. Even if some of these factual allegations (as opposed to doctrinal disagreement) are true, that does not affect our Faith. There’s been a lot of clerical and ecclesiastical unsavoriness revealed in recent years, and I’m sure there are people who wish it had never been revealed. Heads have rolled. One Cardinal is in prison, and another Cardinal has been defrocked and is now under ecclesiastical “house arrest” in the rural Midwest. The Washington Post blew the top off financial and sexual misbehavior in one nearby diocese, and got the bishop fired. And on and on.

[/QUOTE]

Imo it’s an appropriate place for them to end up…

The peeps producing them probably do think they’re doing God’s work, but imo their fervent faith for God is promoting a lukewarm faith/belief systrm, starting with the literal watering down of the Body and Blood of Christ, to cookies and grape juice.

Christ’s first public miracle, wasn’t turning water into grape juice. Those who’ve taken it upon themselves to reinterpret sacred scripture, apparently skipped over 1 Corinthians 11:27, and missed the word, “or”.

I was raised in the Assemblies of God. Lots of Chick tracts were given out.
That’s really interesting considering John Todd, Jack Chick’s first “secret info guy“, accused the Assembly of God of being involved with the Illuminati. So I imagine Assemblies of God would have disowned him.

But I wonder if Assemblies of God (and other denominations) got into Chick when he started going after the Catholic Church since he had reached wider audience by doing so, and no one knew of him before and didn’t think to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back