What do Jews think of the other Abrahamic religions?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YHWH_Christ

I see that there are a few different Jewish users on here so I want to ask you guys something. What exactly do you think of us? Genuinely curious. Christianity and Islam in particular but also the other smaller faiths (Bahai’s, Rastafari’s, Druze, Samaritans). I’m just curious because even though you guys don’t see Jesus as the Jewish Messiah, nor do you view someone like Muhammad to be a prophet, your religion did give birth to an entire religious tradition that more than half the human population adheres to. Didn’t Maimonides believe there was a significance to this? Do other Jews?

While I am by no means an expert on the Jewish religion, and shall defer the fuller answering of your questions to the forum Jews, I have learned from my studies of Judaism and conversations with Jews here that Jews believe everyone who follows the Noahide Laws and the Ten Commandments has a share in the tikkun ‘olam, or world to come. The reason for this is that Judaism is an orthopraxic religion rather than an orthodoxic one, meaning that to Jews, correct action is more salvific than correct belief.

This may be uncomprehensive or downright incorrect, but this is what I know. I now defer to the forums’ Jews.

Last edited:
@Salibi has it pretty correct. I’d say that most Jews really don’t concern themselves much with other faiths as long as they aren’t being persecuted by them. There is a bit of animosity regarding the reinterpretation of the Jewish Bible and declaring that the Jews didn’t understand their own scripture and that they interpret it wrong. But I also would say that the Jews are very happy that others view God as the Supreme Being. Judaism believes that everyone has a place in the world to come and they tend to not overthink how it’s all going to work out. It’s much more concerned with how we live here and now!

Does that answer your question? You can be more specific if you’d like. I certainly wouldn’t be offended!

Last edited:
Not to be snide, but this is exactly what she was talking about. Jews don’t see Christianity as a logical continuation of the Jewish faith, nor does their conception of the Messiah match ours.

When seeking to understand Judaism, it is best to do so on the Jews’ own terms.

Last edited:
Correct Action versus Correct Belief, this is placing a more stronger emphasis on deeds rather on belief. Which comes from the scriptural passage in two places. One from the prophet Micah: “…and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justice, and to love loving mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?”

And yet this was the same question that was raised toward Jesus, Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” John 6:28-29

Jesus indicated the word “Belief” - “To Believe”. And also, noting, in John 14:1, "“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me

Prior to this verse in John 27, “Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”

Commentary: Must a Jew Believe in God?

Rabbinic Judaism demanded action–the fulfillment of the commandments–not the assertion of specific beliefs. Perhaps the most striking example of this position is a commentary on the verse in Jeremiah, which states: “[They] have forsaken me and have not kept my Torah .” To which the Pesikta D’Rav Kahana , a 5th- to 7th-century midrash, glosses: “If only they had forsaken me and kept my Torah.”

Rabbinic Judaism, as well as biblical Judaism, has a concept of belief, but not–many would argue– in the sense of affirming propositions, e.g. asserting that God exists. Scholar Menachem Kellner, for one, points out that the biblical word emunah , “belief” or “faith” connotes trust, belief in , as opposed to the affirmation of propositions.

Last edited:
ews don’t see Christianity as a logical continuation of the Jewish faith, nor does their conception of the Messiah match ours.

…depending on which movement? Reform, Conservative, Orthodox and Reconstructionist Judaism? Don’t you think there is a fine line to what is considered accordingly to one’s own terms?

The biggest differences between the sects of Judaism is the degree in which they obey Torah law and perhaps the emphasis upon the Messiah. While I was raised Orthodox, many of my friends were Conservative and Reform. Reconstruction is newer and I’m not as familiar with it. Hasidic Judaism is very isolationist and tends towards mysticism and stronger Messianic views…they are mostly located in NYC and LA. Belief wise, they are similar to the Orthodox in obeying Torah.

As been stated on these forums before…Christianity is not Judaism plus Jesus and Judaism is not Christianity minus Jesus. While they had a common ancestral faith, they are now completely different religions with completely different understandings of the Jewish Bible.

Last edited:
Judaism has never had a single conception about the Messiah or eschatology in general.

Very true! There has never been THE Jewish belief… Jews have always had various sects and ranges of belief. Pharisaic Judaism was actually rather a small group though larger than some others. We aren’t really sure exactly how influential it was pre Christianity.

Exactly!

From experience, the first step many people take in discussing Judaism is to invent a Judaism to argue with - which leads to many ‘fish and bicycles’ moments. 🙃

What exactly do you think of us?
From the point of view the effect on the individual adherent, such religions are mainly harmless. 😀

You need to remember that we don’t believe that people are doomed in some way for not believing as we do and, since most religions recommend behaviour in line with the ‘Noahide Laws’, God is unlikely to be annoyed and they have the same kind of hope for the future as we have.

Last edited:
From the point of view the effect on the individual adherent, such religions are mainly harmless.
The OP uses the expression “Abrahamic religions”. Personally I’m not convinced that there really is such a category. Is it an expression we might expect to hear in Jewish use?

Last edited:
I am not Jewish. I did look up “early” Jewish views on Islam a few years back and I found a couple points. Jews did believe Muslims were strict monotheists, and many Jewish religious scholars at the time (over 1,000 years ago) were skeptical that Christianity could really be called monotheistic (some may feel an urge to immediately offer up a defense for Christianity here, but I am a Catholic just relating a little research on ancient historical views, so no defense is really necessary). The other thing I found was that there was at least some serious talk as to whether Mohammad was a legitimate prophet they should accept, but I believe that was rejected on the basis that after certain events in the Old Testament no new prophets would rise up among non-Jews, and also as they learned more.

Last edited:
From experience, the first step many people take in discussing Judaism is to invent a Judaism to argue with - which leads to many ‘fish and bicycles’ moments.
While I wasn’t looking to argue against Judaism, I did however have trouble when I began studying it with exactly this.

Judaism is like gelatin, once you think you’ve got your hands on it, it wiggles, changes shape, and escapes your hands. I was only able to make progress with “understanding” Judaism (although I have a long way to go) when I started pretending Christianity doesn’t exist, and that I had no previous idea of what a Messiah is, and stopped looking for a rigid set of beliefs as I have come to expect from religions due to Catholicism. In other words, I tried to the best of my ability to “drop the Catholic lens”.

Last edited:
Isn’t the term Islamic in origin?
I believe it has something to do with the Koranic class of religions known as ahl al Kitab (أهل الكتاب) or “People of the Book”, which the Koran uses to refer to those non-Islamic religions who worship the God of Abraham and whom Muslims believe have recieved revelation from Allah- the injeel (إنجيل) or Gospel for Christians, the Taourat (طورات) or Torah for Jews.

Last edited:
I suspect it’s a diplomatic relations thing, really. Isn’t the term Islamic in origin?
I’ve read of some analyses that suggests it might be the case, but I think most writers tend to understand its etiology as rather vague. Probably not an Islamic term, just a general term that entered theological discourse to enable shorthand reference to a large grouping of religions (which can also include Samaritans, Baha’i, Druze, etc.) that have a common (albeit distant) ancestry.
Personally I’m not convinced that there really is such a category.
I think it’s starting to enter problematic usage like “Judeo-Christian”: much too vague, obviates significant differences, often used for “unusual” political purposes. The term Judeo-Christian has been particularly critiqued by the Australian Jewish community and was never in currency.

Judaism is like gelatin, once you think you’ve got your hands on it, it wiggles, changes shape, and escapes your hands.
Well, on the one hand, while on the other hand, meanwhile on quite another hand altogether and didn’t Rabbi MMMM argue that, while Rabbi NNNN contended . . . .

I’ve sometimes suggested an analogy is with a country that starts off with a, relatively simple, set of precepts, Constitution and legal code and ends up with extensive court systems, libraries on case law and jurisprudence, conventions and traditions.

To what purpose? If we try (reasonably) hard, we might live a (reasonably) ethical life and, perhaps (no guarantees), have hope for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back