T
TEPO
Guest
Do you judge and critique peoples clothes?I hopefully do not act as a fool, some might beg to differ LOL LOL As a greeter I only say welcome and shake hands. If it someone I know we hug, that’s:wave: it
Do you judge and critique peoples clothes?I hopefully do not act as a fool, some might beg to differ LOL LOL As a greeter I only say welcome and shake hands. If it someone I know we hug, that’s:wave: it
I don’t do that no matter where I am. Not my job or calling. We are called to be friendly and love one another. And thats what I do.:tiphat:Do you judge and critique peoples clothes?
Sorry, I deleted that post after I read your’s. I got excited and posted a little too quickly…I don’t do that no matter where I am. Not my job or calling. We are called to be friendly and love one another. And thats what I do.:tiphat:
Sorry you are all shook up. Did you talk to your Priest? Oh by the way were is the Sonoran desert?As you can see, I’m still shook up about the whole thing…
Sorry if they seem phony at your Church. Maybe you need to volunteer and show them how a greeter is supposed to be:wave:For the most part, greeters seem phoney. But the natural greeters, the ones who always have a smiling face and always seems happy to see you, they give a genuine feeling of welcome.
And once we get organized maybe we can get rid of narrow mindI love the Protestantized Catholic Church in America. Perhaps once we get really organized, we could have our Patriarch borrow Katherine Jefferts-Schori’s flashy colored vestments too.
No thanksSorry if they seem phony at your Church. Maybe you need to volunteer and show them how a greeter is supposed to be:wave:![]()
Sorry you feel that way.Oh by the way I am 70 and don’t act the way you have offered. Even when we get older we know how to have manners:tiphat:Lot’s of interesting, thoughtful posts. Thank you. I was surprised to hear that some “traditional” parishes also have greeters, and that some non-Catholics were encouraged by the hospitality of greeters to continue going to a Catholic mass. My parish has always had ushers, so when I heard that we were going to have “greeters” as distinct from ushers, I began to think about my own impression of greeters I have met in the past. I tend to associate official greeters with more liberal parishes whose masses seem to often lack a sense of reverence - no kneelers, lots of chattering and laughing, extended kiss of peace with lots of handshaking, handholding, talking while going up for communion, etc. One parish in particular I went to confession at was very noisy with all kinds of people talking and laughing with no regard for those waiting in the confession line. (in this church, confessions are heard in a room in the lobby of the church, not in the knave). Attempts to quiet them down were met with looks of surprise followed by quiet talking and then loud talking again. These were people in their sixties and seventies! So I would have to agree with an earlier poster who said that even though the greeting takes place outside the entrance to the church, it contributes to an atmosphere of talk and chatter and takes away from a sense of reverence that should be present while in the church and at mass. Perhaps the church hall is a better place for this kind of socializing and “fellowship”. My own experience with greeters is that they can be a little on the pushy side, much like the lady standing next to you who grabs your hand to hold during the Our Father. No thanks! I think that the question that needs to be asked is, are greeters necessary? I would say that at best, they aren’t necessary, at worst they are distracting and contribute to casualness and chatter during mass.
Ishii
As a greeter I am not an usher. Perhaps you should speak to someone in charge? And yes sometimes ushers, greeters can be rude and that is too bad.I had a bad experience with a usher/greeter(?) at church yesterday. My son and I went yesterday to 9:30 mass being a part of RCIA and it was only our second time to attend there. We weren’t late arriving but parking was crazy and we had to park on the side of the road about a block away from the parking lot and church building, so by the time we walked in things were just starting. My son and I started to enter the nave through the wrong door apparently, it was closed and I didn’t see the other small and still open door just to the left. The usher turned around quickly with a surprised and irritated expression on his face and told me that I would have to go in through the other door. Then my son and I stood in the back of the church because we were unable to find a seat that we could reach without going over a bunch of people. The usher certainly didn’t bother to help us with that either. We stood there until the candidates and catechumens were dismissed. It made for a rather uncomfortable and embarrassing experience. I just hope that we can begin to feel more comfortable and fit it better as time goes on.
It would have been nice to have someone friendly to help us as neither of us really new what to do. So I can definitely see where competent greeters would be a benefit to have.
You do not have to worry about my toes or my ego. Neither of which I have tender that is. t is not all about the Minister it is all about being friendly ans if you care not to be then don’t smile. I have never had this happen but if it did so what. As for myself I ready myself for Mass at home. I attend Mass to worship God and that makes me feel greay. Of course I do that at home too. God BlessI feel this is a manufactured “ministry” in an attempt to create a sense of greater involvement. And, unfortunately, as with many “ministries” it becomes all about the “minister”.
Yes, it makes people feel good about themselves. But that’s not what Mass is for or is the reason why we should be attending, eh? I like to take those moments approaching the church to quietly and prayerfully begin to empty myself out. It’s odd that I should have to stop praying in order to return an artificial smile that keeps growing more insistent the more I attempt to not be distracted by it.
Hopefully I am not stomping on an tender toes and egos. Peace.
:: putting on my flame-retardant underoos for the introspectively attired ::