What do you think of Scientology?

• Thread starter Thread starter jredden92
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jredden92

I’m having a hard time sorting out what’s true and not true about it. They have an image problem that’s for sure. Is there any truth to it?

I have looked, in the past.

Short answer: no. There is no truth to it.

Slightly longer answer: Scientology is a fraud, a quack pseudo-religion that won’t admit it’s a pseudo-religion.

Last edited:
That’s literally all I know of it too. A Ponzi scheme masked as a religion, fabricated by a mediocre science fiction writer.

fabricated by a mediocre science fiction writer.
Who famously said that religion was just a money-making scheme. That should tell you all you need to know about the religion he founded.

That’s what I was afraid of. Was hoping dianetics was a useful self-help book but sounds like not so much.

It is a cult that preys on the rich, founded by a science fiction writer Ron Hubbard. Completely bogus. You might want to read the stories of people who escaped from it, such as that of actress Leah Remini.

Last edited:
It’s definitely a cult. It uses peer pressure and authoritarian leadership to suck you deeper and deeper into it while sucking more and more of your money. It uses disproven techniques and has some serious legal issues. Many of those that have left have been terrorized and threatened, followed and wiretapped! Stay far away! If a Scientologist ever approaches you, laugh in their face as you say No Thank You!

That’s interesting I’ve never thought of the Bible as a self-help book before. The greatest story ever told maybe. Do you know of a more…straight forward and obvious self-help book?

I don’t know your particular issue, but I found Feeling and Healing Your Emotions by Conrad Baars.
He was a psychiatrist and a concentration camp survivor and a devout Catholic

Is there any truth to it?
My take–it’s all non-sense. L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer. Scientology is bad science fiction masquerading as a religion. You need to watch Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. Leah Remini was raised in Scientology but recently has become a vocal critic.

Last edited:
I will admit to disliking almost all self-help books. And while I don’t think self-help us the best description if the bible, perhaps God’s Help would be better, it is certainly written to help us be better people in every way. Go to the Beatitudes as an example.

That’s what I was afraid of. Was hoping dianetics was a useful self-help book but sounds like not so much.
Nope.L. Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer back in the pulp days. He told his fellow writers that a person could make a lot of money out of founding a religion. And then came Scientology
Stay away from it. Far, far away.

Last edited:
You need to watch Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath. Leah Remini was raised in Scientology but recently has become a vocal critic.
And/or read “Going Clear.” But be prepared, it’s not pretty.

Scientology reminds me of an old half-eaten cheeseburger lying in an outside trash bin. It looks somewhat inviting with it being only partially eaten and covered with a wrapper still. At least it hasn’t touched feces or anything. It has some minute degree of goodness. But that goodness is obviously compromised by it’s being trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back