What Do You Wear Around Your Neck?

• Thread starter Thread starter SHEMP
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SHEMP

I was wondering what people wear around their necks. I don’t wear anything. I still have trouble getting used to wearing my wedding ring. I was never one for jewelry. Lately however I have been thinking about getting a scapula.

Hi Shemp, you forgot one choice on your poll list. I am like you. I don’t wear anything. If I did, it would be a ‘simple’ Crucifix.

By the way, I love my wedding ring and have been wearing it constantly for 12-years. My anniversary is June 20th.
🙂

Bud Stewart:
Hi Shemp, you forgot one choice on your poll list. I am like you. I don’t wear anything. If I did, it would be a ‘simple’ Crucifix.

By the way, I love my wedding ring and have been wearing it constantly for 12-years. My anniversary is June 20th.
🙂
I noticed this right after I entered the poll. They don’t allow you to edit the poll!

I too love my wedding ring. I just don’t like wearing jewelry.

I wear a very simple 3-bar cross (“Orthodox” style - 2 horizontal bars at the top, one short and one long, and a slanted bar at the foot) around my neck. It was given to me by my Roman Catholic wife (of 29 years) before we were even married. Since I was a Byzantine Catholic, she wanted to give me something she was sure I would cherish for its significance. Unable to find a 3-bar cross in any local jewelry stores, she actually went through the trouble of commissioning a jeweler to cut one by hand from a small sheet of sterling silver for me. It’s very simple in design and bears no Corpus… it’s my single most cherished earthly possession, and except for a very few x-rays and medical procedures and a recent new chain, it’s never been off my neck since she gave it to me.

a pilgrim

I don’t want to skew the results of your poll so I won’t vote on this one. Unless you want me to vote “other”. :hmmm:

**I wear a small scaupla medal, plus a larger Eucharistic one. I just bought the former, but was given the latter by a good friend at my adult confirmation. **

What a Fabulous question!
:rolleyes: I should see a chiropractor

I wear:
  • Miraculous Medal, the cutout version, not the embossed on an oval type, blessed by a parish priest.
    +A St Dymphna Medal, blessed at the US Shrine by Fr. Herttna
    +A simple cross, again blessed at the Dymphna shrine
I want:
+A St Josemaria medal, blessed by a priest who’s helped me.
+A silver crucifix, blessed by the Pope

I don’t wear a scapular. Someone said once they’re called the “Catholics’ Rabbits Foot” but further explained wearing one is demonstrating love for Mary, not the Free-Pass-To-Heaven aspect.

? Does anyone wear one of those 4 way medals? Who’s on that anyway

40.png
amarikidd:
I don’t wear a scapular. Someone said once they’re called the “Catholics’ Rabbits Foot” but further explained wearing one is demonstrating love for Mary, not the Free-Pass-To-Heaven aspect.
I wear Our Lady’s brown scapular, wouldn’t be caught dead without it! ha! ha! ha!

But seriously folks, it is not a free pass to Heaven ticket. It is Our Lady’s promise that she will be with us at our hour of death. She will not let us die under the pains of mortal sin, in other words without a Priest. It has also been noted that those who abuse this devotion do not die wearing it. So those who think they can wear one and go about doing what ever they want will find it mysterious gone at the moment of death.

I have lots of stories involving the brown scapular I will dig them up later. But I will share one that I have witnessed personally with you now. A friend of mine who is a construction worker was electricuted on the job. His shirt was burned off his body, as was his chest hair, miracuously his brown scapular remain unburned and intact. He suffered 3rd degree burns and death was a possibility. He received Extreme Unction and is alive today to be Dad to his 6 kids! God is merciful and Our Lady keeps her promises. You can call that a rabbits foot or a story of Love!

“Remember O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided”

I just started wearing a crucifix. It belonged to my younger brother who passed away recently, and my mother gave it to me. I wear it both because of my brother and my faith.

I wear a miraculous medal and a cross.

Working on getting a crucifix and another patron saint medal.

I voted other… I wear a Scapular medal, with the Sacred Heart of JEsus on the front and Our LAdy of Mt. Carmel holding the Infant Jesus on the reverse.

I rarely wear anything as my nurslings have a tendency to pull them very hard.

-D

I have always worn a Brown scapular since childhood, and made the First Saturday Devotions. I also wear a Miraculous Medal which was blessed by John Paul II. I received it just weeks before my child was in an accident and almost died.

He was paralyzed and had many injuries which looked as though he would at the very least never walk again. It was a wonderful source of strength and prayer to focus on in the long trying hours of his struggle for life. In the end when there seemed no hope, I gave him into Our Lady’s care. I asked her to hold him and I accepted whatever God decided was best.

Within minutes of my acceptance and offering, I felt great peace of mind and heart. I knew Our Lady held him close to her even though I no longer could. He was instantly and completely healed. The doctors were baffled and completely unable to understand how this could happen. I of course knew instantly that only God can do such things. I did not ask for anything but Gods will and He gave me back my son and restored him to complete health. So, I must say that Miraculous Medal means a great deal to me. It is my favorite religious medal. It is not a talisman, it is a precious prayer reminder to Trust God always and to walk with the Communion of Saints in every and all situations. Our God is a loving Father. His Mother is our dearest family friend and prayer partner. It doesn’t get any better than that. ❤️

Miraculous medal and a brown scapular, but it makes my Protestant hubby nervous when I wear it to bed. Come to think of it, he was nervous when I started to hang a crucfix in our bedroom too… :rolleyes:

Edit: I just read that one had to be enrolled prior to wearing a scapular? I guess I’ll hang mine up then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back