What does Opus Dei do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ecce_homo_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ecce_homo_1

Guest
With all the money and power they have you would think they would be more pro-active in influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism. But as far as I’ve seen they’re pretty isolated and not active in working with the laity outside of those within Opus Dei which really isn’t very large by the CC standards (I know they’re a lay organization).

I’ve been to their complex on Lexington and have mixed feelings about the experience I’ll leave it at that, but what exactly is Opus Dei’s niche in the Church? What is it that they’re supposed to do. Not sure if this is the right spot for this or not.
 
With all the money and power they have you would think they would be more pro-active in influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism. But as far as I’ve seen they’re pretty isolated and not active in working with the laity outside of those within Opus Dei which really isn’t very large by the CC standards (I know they’re a lay organization).

I’ve been to their complex on Lexington and have mixed feelings about the experience I’ll leave it at that, but what exactly is Opus Dei’s niche in the Church? What is it that they’re supposed to do. Not sure if this is the right spot for this or not.
Opus Dei’s main focus is to teach that laity to offer their daily sacrifices to God and to try and keep this goal in the forefront of their minds. So often we do little things everyday and miss the opportunity to offer these little things (and bigger ones) as a gift to God. They are a quiet apostolate. I’m not sure why you don’t think that they aren’t influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism.
 
Opus Dei’s main focus is to teach that laity to offer their daily sacrifices to God and to try and keep this goal in the forefront of their minds. So often we do little things everyday and miss the opportunity to offer these little things (and bigger ones) as a gift to God. They are a quiet apostolate. I’m not sure why you don’t think that they aren’t influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism.
I said I don’t know why they’re not “more pro-active” in influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism, let’s not misquote me so soon into the topic or we’ll be scrambling from the beginning.
 
I said I don’t know why they’re not “more pro-active” in influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism, let’s not misquote me so soon into the topic or we’ll be scrambling from the beginning.
OK, I don’t understand why you don’t think they’re
more pro-active in influencing the laity to conservative Catholicism
It really doesn’t change my question in my mind.
 
Opus Dei invented the DaVinci code and hid it in a Church in Scotland so that Tom Hanks could discover it and get his hair cut. They also own all the money in the world and keep it safe from starving people. They all wear big black cowels and habits and have guns and white hair.
They live in the Popes palace and will get you if you are too interested in the history of the Church (which they invented).

You can always tell an Opus Dei by the way they keep hitting themselves in the face with a bible every few minutes.

They only eat pencils and you cannot see them in daylight.

😛 Sorry I’ve just watched waking the dead with Trevor Eve and I just couldn’t resist!
 
OK, I don’t understand why you don’t think they’re It really doesn’t change my question in my mind.
I’ve never heard of them offering Parish retreats, or actively engaging lay Catholics outside of Opus Dei to attend recollection, benediction etc… or anything. They seem closed off when they should more open to the laity to share their conservative Catholicism. I don’t see where they cross that line into influencing the laity. Maybe it’s behind the scenes adn I don’t know about it, but I don’t see it.
 
I’ve never heard of them offering Parish retreats, or actively engaging lay Catholics outside of Opus Dei to attend recollection, benediction etc… or anything. They seem closed off when they should more open to the laity to share their conservative Catholicism. I don’t see where they cross that line into influencing the laity. Maybe it’s behind the scenes adn I don’t know about it, but I don’t see it.
Whilst like most organisations Opus Dei want to attract members there is no intention that every Catholic should join, or even that more than a small minority of catholics should join.
A friend of mine who is not an Opus Dei member but is a friend of one went on an Opus Dei retreat in Spain. So they are not entirely closed off. However I think they are right to concentrate largely on their own members. Otherwise it could be interpreted as an aggresive movement treading on the proper domain of the parish priest.
 
:rotfl:
Opus Dei invented the DaVinci code and hid it in a Church in Scotland so that Tom Hanks could discover it and get his hair cut. They also own all the money in the world and keep it safe from starving people. They all wear big black cowels and habits and have guns and white hair.
They live in the Popes palace and will get you if you are too interested in the history of the Church (which they invented).

You can always tell an Opus Dei by the way they keep hitting themselves in the face with a bible every few minutes.

They only eat pencils and you cannot see them in daylight.

😛 Sorry I’ve just watched waking the dead with Trevor Eve and I just couldn’t resist!
 
I’ve never heard of them offering Parish retreats, or actively engaging lay Catholics outside of Opus Dei to attend recollection, benediction etc… or anything. They seem closed off when they should more open to the laity to share their conservative Catholicism. I don’t see where they cross that line into influencing the laity. Maybe it’s behind the scenes adn I don’t know about it, but I don’t see it.
They don’t do parish retreats. They do their own retreats usually in their own retreat center. Parishes don’t like them too much. The ones that do allow them to come in let them hear confessions and do recollections (with benediction). If they didn’t cross the line into influencing the laity then they would have no members other than the priests and they certainly wouldn’t have any cooperators (which are not members) and they certainly do.

I’m not sure where you are from but it could just be your area. I find that they haven’t gotten around the whole U.S. yet. They’re pretty firmly entrenched on the east coast complete with schools and educational facilities. We’ve had them here for about 20+ years but we have only recently had a bishop who welcomes them with open arms. Now we don’t have enough of their priests to go around! They don’t go where the bishops are against them but they will go in in a small way if the bishop allows it.
 
Opus Dei invented the DaVinci code and hid it in a Church in Scotland so that Tom Hanks could discover it and get his hair cut. They also own all the money in the world and keep it safe from starving people. They all wear big black cowels and habits and have guns and white hair.
They live in the Popes palace and will get you if you are too interested in the history of the Church (which they invented).

You can always tell an Opus Dei by the way they keep hitting themselves in the face with a bible every few minutes.

They only eat pencils and you cannot see them in daylight.

😛 Sorry I’ve just watched waking the dead with Trevor Eve and I just couldn’t resist!
Looks like Jack Chick has replaced the Jesuits with Opus Dei …or wait…did the Jesuits create Opus Dei? 🙂
 
They don’t do parish retreats. They do their own retreats usually in their own retreat center. Parishes don’t like them too much. The ones that do allow them to come in let them hear confessions and do recollections (with benediction). If they didn’t cross the line into influencing the laity then they would have no members other than the priests and they certainly wouldn’t have any cooperators (which are not members) and they certainly do.

I’m not sure where you are from but it could just be your area. I find that they haven’t gotten around the whole U.S. yet. They’re pretty firmly entrenched on the east coast complete with schools and educational facilities. We’ve had them here for about 20+ years but we have only recently had a bishop who welcomes them with open arms. Now we don’t have enough of their priests to go around! They don’t go where the bishops are against them but they will go in in a small way if the bishop allows it.
I am unfamiliar with this, what does it involve?
 
Looks like Jack Chick has replaced the Jesuits with Opus Dei …or wait…did the Jesuits create Opus Dei? 🙂
No, no Jack Chick IS an Opus Dei (haven’t you noticed his hair and self fladgulation???). He is locked in mortal combat with the Jesuits and their leader the black pope for control of the pencil manufacturing rites in South America.
 
I am unfamiliar with this, what does it involve?
Here’s a brief discription I found in a paper from one of our local Opus Dei priests.
It’s a two hour mini-retreat,” Fr. Bloomer said of the recollections. The priest preaches, hears confessions, leads adoration and benediction in the “two hour intense time with our Lord,” he said.
If you’re lucky, you live in an area where there are more than one priest to hear confessions. They are very thorough confessors and sometimes this can take awhile. Our recollections are held once a month in our immediate area. There are separate recollections for men and women.
 
Opus Dei is a Personal Prelature, set up by His Holiness John Paul II. Part of what that means is that they are not under the direct jurisdiction of the Bishop whose Diocese in which Opus Dei is working.

I have never encountered Opus Dei personally, but I have a fascination with St. Josemaria Escriva who founded the organization. I recommend to anyone that is interested to read his, “The Way.”

Some of my favorite quotes from this book are:

“Don’t say, “That’s the way I am–it’s my character.” It’s your lack of character. Esto vir!–Be a man!”

“Selfish! You…always looking out for yourself. You seem unable to feel the brotherhood of Christ. In others you don’t see brothers; you see stepping-stones. I can foresee your complete failure. And when you are down, you’ll expect others to treat you with the charity you’re unwilling to show them.”

“Whenever you see a poor, wooden cross, alone, uncared-for, worthless…and without a corpus, don’t forget that that cross is your cross–the everyday hidden cross, unattractive and unconsoling–the cross that is waiting for the corpus it lacks: and that corpus must be you.”

How that last one haunts me!
 
I’ve never heard of them offering Parish retreats, or actively engaging lay Catholics outside of Opus Dei to attend recollection, benediction etc… or anything. They seem closed off when they should more open to the laity to share their conservative Catholicism. I don’t see where they cross that line into influencing the laity. Maybe it’s behind the scenes adn I don’t know about it, but I don’t see it.
That’s certainly not the case where I live. They have monthly recollections for men and women, which are announced in our Parish bulletin. When their prelate came to speak in Houston, there were hundreds of people in attendance. Every seat was filled. They are as open to they laity as anybody needs to be. It’s not some secret society that you need to “know people” to get into. You just go. You don’t even need to be a card-carrying member.

They’re not on a public crusade having protests and marches, or taking out ads in the newspaper, or setting up recruiting tables at the mall like the military. Why should they be? They are about quietly living out your life in sacrifice to God. They don’t exist to convince the laity. They ARE the laity. Like their members, they just do their thing, leading primarily by example. It would be kind of a contradiction if they were an aggressive, loud organization. Besides, they aren’t advocating anything that isn’t already taught regularly by the clergy. They mostly provide an arena for people to get community support as they live out their faith in everyday life.
 
Hi Ecce Homo:

I posted a rather lengthy reply on another thread to a question as to whether or not Dr. Scott Hahn is a member of Opus Dei (he is), and since most of it is relevant to your question here, I’ll re-post it with only very minor changes in response to your question:

Opus Dei, as pointed out above, is a personal prelature of the Catholic Church, founded by St. Josemaría Escriva in 1929 and formally elevated to the status of personal prelature By Pope JPII in 1982.

If you don’t understand what a personal prelature is, don’t worry… not many people would since Opus Dei is presently the only Catholic group that enjoys this status. Basically, it means that the members of Opus Dei have their own bishop (presently, Monsignor Javier Echeverría) and that, under his authority, they form a kind of “borderless diocese” if you will. But they are also subject to the authority of bishops in whose diocese they may reside.

So, in all that pertains to their vocations as members of “the Work” as they refer to it in English, as well as their spiritual formation and direction, they are subject to the authority of their prelate. In matters relating to everything else (i.e., their participation in activities in a parish or their diocese) they are subject to the authority of the local bishop.

Some people DO have a problem with them, yes. One reason is the personal prelature thing… some people regard it as a way of circumventing the authority of the local bishop (similar to what you said above about impinging on the authority of the parish priest) and allowing them to do things without his consent. I don’t believe this is fair, and I haven’t found it to be true.

Others object to the strict separation of men and women in all of their activities. Not only are students in the schools which members organise and run divided by gender, but the teaching and administrative staffs too. There are no male teachers or staff in girl’s schools and no women in the ones organised for boys. In addition, celibate male and female members of the work receive their spiritual formation separately and do not participate in retreats or engage in apostolic activities together. Totally separate. :hmmm:

You may remember that the DaVinci Code painted them as an ultra-secret sect within the Church. They are generally accused even by good Catholics of being secretive about their organisation, its structure and its internal organisation. Too long to go into here, and there is some truth to it, but a lot of this depends on one’s perspective and what “openness” ought to involve. To really understand why the group developed the way it did, you have to understand something of the time and place in which it was born–Spain, in 1929, in the very anti-clerical and anti-Catholic atmosphere that existed just before the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. That war and all its attendant issues and horrors have profoundly marked at least two generations of Spaniards and its effects are still being felt today. 😦

They are also accused of “hard-sell” recruiting tactics when seeking out potential vocations, and of targeting only bright, well-educated and professional men and women. I will only say here that I have met some zealous ones… and as for the latter charge, well, given their spirituality of the sanctifying nature of work well done and offered to God, that holiness is everyone’s vocation and that for the laity it’s to be found in the fulfillment of one’s professional and family duties… it’s logical enough. They believe in the responsibility of Christians to transform society from their places of work, and so they do seem to place a lot of emphasis on finding and forming professional men and women in the spirit of The Work. But their members do run inner-city programs for disadvantaged youths and charitable foundations for the poor too.

As far as I know, St. Mary of the Angels Church in Chicago is still the only parish staffed by priests of the Prelature of Opus Dei in the U.S. It’s a good parish. And the majority of the parishioners are not members of Opus Dei either.

Sorry for the really long reply. I’ll just add before closing here that 1) no, I am not a member of Opus Dei, that 2) no, I’m not inclined to become one either, for reasons which I won’t go into here, but which should not be regarded as reflecting negatively on Opus Dei–my reasons are largely personal, though I do disagree with their approach to things on a few important points-- that 3) yes, I do know quite a few members of Opus Dei and have quite a few close, personal friends who are in the group, and that 4) there is a good book by John Allen of the National Catholic Reporter (not a likely candidate for the Opus Dei fan club roll) in which he closely examines the group and ends up with a surprisingly favourable opinion of them. :eek:
 
What to do, what to do.
I was very involved in Opus Dei.
I advise you all to avoid them as best you can. (IMHO)
Try to keep your children away from their schools, retreats, camps and definatly DO NOT allow your children or yourself to go to Confession to an Opus Dei Priest. Brainwashing does happen and I’d hate for it to continue on with ayone here on Catholic Answers
‘All that glitters is not gold.’

Try the website www.odan.org for more info

Bruce
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top