What does Opus Dei do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ecce_homo_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opus Dei invented the DaVinci code and hid it in a Church in Scotland so that Tom Hanks could discover it and get his hair cut. They also own all the money in the world and keep it safe from starving people. They all wear big black cowels and habits and have guns and white hair.
They live in the Popes palace and will get you if you are too interested in the history of the Church (which they invented).

You can always tell an Opus Dei by the way they keep hitting themselves in the face with a bible every few minutes.

They only eat pencils and you cannot see them in daylight.

😛 Sorry I’ve just watched waking the dead with Trevor Eve and I just couldn’t resist!
 
“Whenever you see a poor, wooden cross, alone, uncared-for, worthless…and without a corpus, don’t forget that that cross is your cross–the everyday hidden cross, unattractive and unconsoling–the cross that is waiting for the corpus it lacks: and that corpus must be you.”
Wow - what a powerful quote!
 
Dear Adonis,

yes, that quote both draws me and horrifies me at the deepest levels.

I repeat that I have no first-hand experience of Opus Dei, but the writings of St. Josemaria have moved me tremendously.

“The Way” and “The Furrow” are filled with quotes that impact just as much. What great material for prayer, meditation and Adoration of our Lord in the Eucharist.

If you get a chance to read either, I would love to hear your perspective and those quotes which moved you.
 
What to do, what to do.
I was very involved in Opus Dei.
I advise you all to avoid them as best you can. (IMHO)
Try to keep your children away from their schools, retreats, camps and definatly DO NOT allow your children or yourself to go to Confession to an Opus Dei Priest. Brainwashing does happen and I’d hate for it to continue on with ayone here on Catholic Answers
‘All that glitters is not gold.’

Try the website www.odan.org for more info

Bruce
This is funny because I had the opposite experience, they were kind of like “I don’t want to be bothered” a bit and aloof maybe??? LOL I can’t help but think of George Costanza when the cult won’t try to recruit him, but recruits everyone else around him…

Not that I think Opus Dei is a cult, but I had to laugh comparing my experience to the one you just said, I immediately thought of that Seinfeld episode.
 
This is funny because I had the opposite experience, they were kind of like “I don’t want to be bothered” a bit and aloof maybe??? LOL I can’t help but think of George Costanza when the cult won’t try to recruit him, but recruits everyone else around him…

Not that I think Opus Dei is a cult, but I had to laugh comparing my experience to the one you just said, I immediately thought of that Seinfeld episode.
You know, many people have the feeling that Opus Dei is a highly selective club that’s hard to get into. I notice that it’s the lay members or cooperators who often give this impression even when they’re not trying to do this. I’ve had many discussions and what I’ve figured out is that in an effort not to scare people off, they give this impression which scares people off. While they’re quite willing to invite people to their recollections the lay people are a little scared to talk about being a member or a cooperator because they don’t want people to think they’re pressuring them to sign up. I’ve encourage them many times to have the info available and if people don’t want it, they don’t have to take it. That seems to work better around here. That said, I find that you get a different feeling from every area that you go to. My sister is a “card carrying member” and she wouldn’t hesistate to let people know about all of the areas available to them.
 
Bear06:
You know, many people have the feeling that Opus Dei is a highly selective club that’s hard to get into.
See, my impression was “club that’s hard to get OUT OF”.
 
You know, many people have the feeling that Opus Dei is a highly selective club that’s hard to get into. I notice that it’s the lay members or cooperators who often give this impression even when they’re not trying to do this. I’ve had many discussions and what I’ve figured out is that in an effort not to scare people off, they give this impression which scares people off. While they’re quite willing to invite people to their recollections the lay people are a little scared to talk about being a member or a cooperator because they don’t want people to think they’re pressuring them to sign up. I’ve encourage them many times to have the info available and if people don’t want it, they don’t have to take it. That seems to work better around here. That said, I find that you get a different feeling from every area that you go to. My sister is a “card carrying member” and she wouldn’t hesistate to let people know about all of the areas available to them.
Well I’ll stand up…I’m a Cooperator and proud of it!
There have been so many negative threads about Opus Dei that I hardly respond anymore…
All I know is I love it and it has enhanced my spiritual life far beyond anything I ever expected.
 
Well I’ll stand up…I’m a Cooperator and proud of it!
There have been so many negative threads about Opus Dei that I hardly respond anymore…
All I know is I love it and it has enhanced my spiritual life far beyond anything I ever expected.
I used to have a friend from the Philipines who was in Opus Dei. We got together with her regularly and did examinations of conscience and readings from the Opus Dei books and other stuff. I still have all the books and need to make better use of them. It was a good experience for me, but I was never a member of Opus Dei. My friend was very holy, and taught us how to offer up everything and make everything a prayer.
 
I used to have a friend from the Philipines who was in Opus Dei. We got together with her regularly and did examinations of conscience and readings from the Opus Dei books and other stuff. I still have all the books and need to make better use of them. It was a good experience for me, but I was never a member of Opus Dei. My friend was very holy, and taught us how to offer up everything and make everything a prayer.
My best friend shared w/ me for many years (she is a Super numerary)She gave “The Way” by St. Josemaria I read it often…but about 5 years ago it took root in my heart and I started to attend mornings & evenings of recollection and wished I hadn’t dragged my feet so long…Thanks for sharing a positive… Here is a link to The Founders Writings you can read them daily on-line…🙂
 
My best friend shared w/ me for many years (she is a Super numerary)She gave “The Way” by St. Josemaria I read it often…but about 5 years ago it took root in my heart and I started to attend mornings & evenings of recollection and wished I hadn’t dragged my feet so long…Thanks for sharing a positive… Here is a link to The Founders Writings you can read them daily on-line…🙂
Thanks. 🙂 I’ll bookmark it.
 
The Opus Dei Awareness Network is suspect.

Go to catholicculture.org (I think you have to register), they are not affiliated with Opus Dei and say this about ODAN:
The Opus Dei Awareness Network, Inc. (ODAN) was founded in 1991 “to meet the growing demand for accurate information about Opus Dei and to provide education, outreach and support to people who have been adversely affected by Opus Dei.” In reality, both the organization and its site seem to be a misguided attempt to use personal grievances against Opus Dei or one of its members and isolated incidents to malign the organization as a whole.
Many of the Prelature’s best characteristics, such as its strong evangelization efforts, the total commitment of its members, and their sense of self-sacrifice and mortification, are taken out of context in an attempt to make Opus Dei look evil. However, the beauty of the great work of Opus Dei shows through, even in the writings of those who would eradicate it. In trying to malign the whole organization, this site is a prime example of Christ’s assurance that those who truly follow Him will be persecuted.
http://www.catholicculture.org/images/clear.gif**·Misrepresentation about the structure, intentions, and practices of Opus Dei (Fidelity)
Example(s)http://www.catholicculture.org/images/clear.gif
·The site professes opposition to the canonization of St. Josemaria Escriva. (Fidelity)
http://www.catholicculture.org/images/clear.gif
·**Many of the “Resources” touted as evidence of the “true nature” of Opus Dei are from publications such as America and the National Catholic Reporter. (Fidelity)
Scott
 
Personally, I recommend Opus Dei Alert:

This website is dedicated in reparation for the offenses, outrages and overall misrepresentation of true Catholic devotion to St. Joseph, the worthy spouse of the Most Chaste Virgin, as is advanced and perpetrated by the anti-Catholic Talmudic sect known as Opus Dei
 
Personally, I recommend Opus Dei Alert:

This website is dedicated in reparation for the offenses, outrages and overall misrepresentation of true Catholic devotion to St. Joseph, the worthy spouse of the Most Chaste Virgin, as is advanced and perpetrated by the anti-Catholic Talmudic sect known as Opus Dei
If there is truth to this how could St. Jose Escriva have been canonized? If I’m not mistaken canonization of Saints falls under infallibility of the Church.

(the purveyor of that site is no friend of the Jews is he?)
 
This will open up a huge can of worms…
If there is truth to this how could St. Jose Escriva have been canonized?
There are too many claims against ‘The Father’ for there not be an element of truth in any of them. Even if it were only 10% truth, or 1% for that matter, it hinders a great deal on the process, but nothing was investigated by the Curia.
Maria Del Carmin Tapia, former numerary for 20 years, was St. Escriva’s personal secretary for 6 of those years, and she has written a well balanced book on her experiences. She also bore the brunt of his temper most times as well. (The book is called ‘Beyond the Threshold’ get a copy if you can) She wrote to the Vatican in the years leading up to Escriva’s Canonization, as did many other former Numerarys, begging the Vatican not to go ahead with the process.
 
This will open up a huge can of worms…

There are too many claims against ‘The Father’ for there not be an element of truth in any of them. Even if it were only 10% truth, or 1% for that matter, it hinders a great deal on the process, but nothing was investigated by the Curia.
Maria Del Carmin Tapia, former numerary for 20 years, was St. Escriva’s personal secretary for 6 of those years, and she has written a well balanced book on her experiences. She also bore the brunt of his temper most times as well. (The book is called ‘Beyond the Threshold’ get a copy if you can) She wrote to the Vatican in the years leading up to Escriva’s Canonization, as did many other former Numerarys, begging the Vatican not to go ahead with the process.
I suppose Father Escriva could’ve done some time in purgatory and we don’t know what he confessed in private. I was involved in a similar discussion on Pope John Paul II and his many failings with the scandals of the Church and how he can be recommended for Sainthood so quickly, but in the end if we are to accept the Churches infallibility on these matters it’s what we have to do.
 
I suppose Father Escriva could’ve done some time in purgatory and we don’t know what he confessed in private. I was involved in a similar discussion on Pope John Paul II and his many failings with the scandals of the Church and how he can be recommended for Sainthood so quickly, but in the end if we are to accept the Churches infallibility on these matters it’s what we have to do.
Very true my friend.
I pray to St Escriva every day because I believe he is a Saint in heaven. The Church would’ve stopped it if the is a problem with his saintly-ness. (spelling??)
I might add that I pray to him for my friends still inside Opus Dei, so that they may see the light and leave this cult like organisation.
It’s a very powerful prayer that has had much success. My friend wrote it for me when I was in there, and now I say it.
At least 4 friends (that I know of) packed up their bags last year and one already this year.🙂
 
Bruce,

So you are a former member of “the Work”? I would be most interested in hearing why you decided to leave it. Really. Because I have a great many friends who are members of Opus Dei, and I presently have one friend who is an ex-member (was an associate) and two who are experiencing serious difficulties with their “vocations” right now.

I myself have had contact with the work for nigh on 15 years now, and have gone through my ups and downs with them. I withhold judgement of the organisation per se as I wish to let the Church guide me there, and the Church has given it her blessing, approving it as a personal prelature and canonising its founder. But I could never be a member of Opus Dei, and if indeed there exists such a thing as a “vocation” to Opus Dei, then I certainly don’t have one. 😉

So, if you feel like sharing a bit, great. If not, God Bless!
 
Personally, I recommend Opus Dei Alert:

This website is dedicated in reparation for the offenses, outrages and overall misrepresentation of true Catholic devotion to St. Joseph, the worthy spouse of the Most Chaste Virgin, as is advanced and perpetrated by the anti-Catholic Talmudic sect known as Opus Dei
Trad Catholic, Surely you observed that this site is operated by a person who does not believe in the validity of our Holy Father, the authoritative teaching of the Church in Vatican II, etc. In other words, he is not advocating fidelity to the Church. Hardly a reliable source of information! Why can we not be “traditional Catholics” and be faithful to our Church despite her members’ weaknesses, much like spouses love each other despite their individual failings?!

Personally, I am what some might call a “turbo Catholic” or an “orthodox Catholic,” who sometimes attends a local Tridentine Mass approved by our Bishop, but that does not mean that I do not love our Holy Father and the teachings of our Church. To the contrary in fact!

Let us be faithful!
 
Just another perspective:

My son has attended a Junior High/High School (6th - 12th grades) that is run by Opus Dei for several years. When my son had to transition to high school we allowed him to decide where to go. We investigated several local Catholic HS (we live in the Chicago area so there are a lot to choose from). Ultimately he chose to stay at his school but it was a tough choice for him - he says he wished I hadn’t given him the choice because it was too hard. His biggest issue was football. They don’t have football at his school because it is too small. He’s found lacrosse and is liking it.

First off, to those who say keep your children away because they will be brainwashed. If so, they are terrible at it and I want my money back. My 14 year old son is a pain in the a#@ just like every other 14 year old. But he’s also a good kid, getting a good eduction, and learning his Catholic faith in a consistent environment.

I did a decent amount of research on Opus Dei and the particular school before enrolling him. He attended our local parish grade school prior (like my 3 younger kids still do). However, I had still been influenced by some of the negative things I had read and wondered if I would regret it.

I remember an event during his first year at the school that made me much more comfortable. They have a father/son overnight and I was apprehensive - I don’t go much for “share your thoughts” type activities and I was expecting to encounter a bunch of gung-ho types… Well it was about as normal as you can get. Kids played soccer, football, chess, etc. Dads basically did anything they wanted. Some sat and chatted about the same junk I talk about with my regular friends. Some read. Some joined in with the kids. One guy went to his room and slept most of the time.

We all cooked the meals and cleaned up. The dads had a few beers - remember we’re Catholic not evangelicals . We got together in the evening with the Principal of the school and some of the other teachers to discuss general topics, the school, and talked about what it means to raise teenagers. Had a bonfire by the lake and said the rosary (those that were interested) - again remember we’re Catholic.

I guess a cynic would say they trick you by being just like everyone else.

In case you are wondering about me to evaluate this post:

I am a Catholic who practices my faith (with the same failings as every other Catholic/human) but I am not a member of Opus Dei. I attended a Jesuit HS (and was also a pain in the a#@ at 14) and they didn’t brainwash me either.

I’ve gone to a few of the reflection evenings offered by local Opus Dei people. They are interesting and I go when I feel like it. No one pressures me to join anything.

I socialize with the the other parents at school functions and otherwise. I know some of them are associated with Opus Dei to varying degrees but don’t really get into the details.

I am reasonably social and participate in my local parish more than some less than others. My best friend is not Catholic and his kids attend the local public high school. He and his son would have been as comfortable at the father/son overnight as I was - he just wouldn’t have participated in the Mass or rosary. My son socializes with his kids and kids from his school probably equal amounts.

As far as money goes the tuition is about the same (give or take) as the other private and/or Catholic schools in the area. There are wealthy people and not so wealthy but no one makes a point of it one way or another - I’m somewhere in the middle if it matters.

Anyway, I really don’t understand what all the fuss is about around Opus Dei. It’s there for people who want it and many people’s lives are enriched by it. If you don’t think its for you, no one raises an eyebrow.

I know first hand that the people involved with Opus Dei do good things for the community as individuals, as a school, as an organization, and as Catholics.

The school chaplain is an Opus Dei priest. He is a great guy. He really understands teenagers. Lets them be teenagers when appropriate and sets them straight when they need it. I’ve known a good number of priest over the years and I really appreciate his participation in my son’s education.

Are there goofs? sure a few. But there are goofs in my local youth baseball organization also. Goofs in my parish. Goofs at work. Goofs in my family. You get the picture - you can’t judge a group by its goofs.

I hope this gives people window of understanding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top