What does the Bible mean to Catholics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lightbee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was the same verse that was the clincher for me too!!!
Hi Lightbee. This one was my favorite. Matt 16:19 When Jesus told Peter I will give you the keys to the kingdom. In ancient times keys meant authority. A walled city might have one great gate and that gate had one lock on it. And only one great key. Even today you hear a Mayor giving someone the keys to the city for a day. It is a great honor.

The city Peter was given the keys to were heaven itself. THis symbolism for authorty is used also in ( Is. 12>22 and rev 1:18)😉
 
I would be very grateful to hear of the experiences of other Catholics - particularly “cradle Catholics” - to get a better understanding of the place of the Bible in the Catholic church.
I read the Bible every day (I’m a convert to Catholicism, but my enthusiasm for the Bible grew as I came into the Catholic Church).
 
I got the impression from the others talking (we have only 2 RCIA people, and last night 3 leaders, so we’re somewhat outnumbered) that those in the Catholic Church, particularly those in the church before Vatican II, do not have much interest in the Bible and distrust those who do read it regularly and study it intently.

I don’t know if that’s just the few people from last night, or if that is a normal Catholic stance. I would be very grateful to hear of the experiences of other Catholics - particularly “cradle Catholics” - to get a better understanding of the place of the Bible in the Catholic church.
I have always had a lot of interest in the Bible. As we were preparing for First Holy Communion, I remember my mother getting her Jerusalem Bible out and putting page markers in it for verses she wanted me to learn (maybe the Nun leading the instruction had asked that we learn those passages) 😉

Where our family difffered from those of my Protestant family and friends is that we don’t… ‘worship’ the Bible. The Bible isn’t the end of the road. :cool:

I have been taught that there is no problem or situation that is not addressed (at least figuratively) in the Bible. There are examples and reminders in the Bible. From a revival, a priest told us (in jest, but I like it) that Bible stands for 'Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth. Our Mass includes readings from the Old Testament and the Gospels, and often other books of the Bible. 🙂

Let us not forget that the Bible has not been around as long as the church. We have the church. The church supercedes the Bible.

When we go to Mass, isn’t not to read from the Bible. We do read from the Bible, and we are encouraged to read more when we go home, but that’s not our focus. The focus for Catholics and of the Mass is the Eucharist. 👍

See, even the Bible doesn’t say, ‘Read from the Bible on a regular basis’, but it DOES, say, ‘Eat my Body and drink my Blood’ 😃
 
At my RCIA class last night we were having a discussion about “the Bible and the Church”. For me, the Bible has always been very important as it is God’s word in written form. It has also been the means by which I have been led to the Catholic church.

I got the impression from the others talking (we have only 2 RCIA people, and last night 3 leaders, so we’re somewhat outnumbered) that those in the Catholic Church, particularly those in the church before Vatican II, do not have much interest in the Bible and distrust those who do read it regularly and study it intently.

I don’t know if that’s just the few people from last night, or if that is a normal Catholic stance. I would be very grateful to hear of the experiences of other Catholics - particularly “cradle Catholics” - to get a better understanding of the place of the Bible in the Catholic church.
It is a record of the life and work of the most important persons in the universe. behind the pages, story lines, events, and the people of His book, He waits to meet personally with every honest seeker. 🙂
 
I read the Bible every day (I’m a convert to Catholicism, but my enthusiasm for the Bible grew as I came into the Catholic Church).
Hi Michael, but did you ever see the Church become more alive when you read the book of Rev. It is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen,

It shows the CC to a T!😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top