What don't you believe is correct in a non Catholic religion?

• Thread starter Thread starter Feel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Deposit of Faith is all of it, everything, the whole truth. The Deposit of Faith is brought to Christians in the Bible, Sacred Tradition, and the Magisterium.

I don’t know what church you belong to but if it is a Christian church, your church’s basis is from the Deposit of Faith, with the exception of breaking away from the Catholic Church of course.

All I am saying is that using the Bible alone, Catholicism would crumble.
Christ is in our midst!

As an Eastern Christian I believe that the Roman Church is apostolic. Asking as an apostolic Christian, what would your church service look like without a Bible? A second question, I have not read all the posts in this thread so my apologies, I assume you believe that the Bible alone is the sole rule of faith? Where did you lean that?

ZP

The word “memory” or “remembrance” has a different meaning in the original language than it does in English.
He was not saying to remember Him, but to make Him present again.
The Sacrifice of the Mass is not a memorial ritual, but a re- presenting of the first Eucharist.
And so Catholics believe in the Real Presence.

Never assume that you understand the words in the Bible. The Church has studied it for nearly 2000 years, and knows more than the average Joe off the street.

Jesus also said, I am the door,” “I am the vine,” “You are the salt of the earth,” and “You are the light of the world” (Matthew 5:13-14) Everyone knows we don’t take such statements literally. Why should we take the Eucharist literally - Especially since Jesus clarified that it was a memorial at the same time he said “this is my body, …this is my blood”?
We should take it seriously because Christ did. When He said this, many of His disciples left Him, “because it was a hard saying.”

It could only be a hard saying if those followers took what He was saying literally.

And He let them go. He did not say, oh, hey, don’t go–I didn’t mean that literally!

In 1 Cor 11, we read: 27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

Nowhere do they say anything like this about vines or doors…

Last edited:
The word “memory” or “remembrance” has a different meaning in the original language than it does in English.
He was not saying to remember Him, but to make Him present again.
The Sacrifice of the Mass is not a memorial ritual, but a re- presenting of the first Eucharist.
And so Catholics believe in the Real Presence.

Never assume that you understand the words in the Bible. The Church has studied it for nearly 2000 years, and knows more than the average Joe off the street.
If in fact you are correct in your interpretation of the actual meaning of Jesus’ words you present a compelling arguement. In fact, the simple way you present it is appealing. However, I am curious how you deal with the presence of God in your daily life. Doesn’t making Him present again actually indicate He was absent? When you leave the Church where He is present and go to the grocery store, do you actually leave Him behind? Seriously how do you deal with His other words where He promises to never leave us; that He will be with us always; that whether we are diving in the bottom of the ocean or in a space shuttle in space, He is present with us in our very being not confined to a building made with human hands? This thought is what I have difficulty with in making Him present again. Thanks.

I guess I have to admit it makes my head spin, I do not get it.

Christ is with us always, in everything we do in life. He doesn’t leave us to our own devices unless we choose to ignore his presence. For us Catholics we get to encounter Jesus in a very special and mysterious way in the Eucharist, however it isn’t the only way we encounter Him, it is just the most intimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back