What if I whisper a mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shy_christian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shy_christian

Guest
If I whisper a mortal sin is it considered forgiven? For I feel ashamed saying it out loud
 
Father needs to hear you so you need to speak clearly. No need to be ashamed—he’s heard it all and nothing you will say will shock him.
 
I tried telling him in his ear and I’m sure it shocked him a lot. I’m so embarrassed
 
I sincerely doubt it shocked him. But you told it to him. Did he absolve you? If so give thanks to God, forget about it, and don’t do it again.
 
I see you’ve started two threads along similar lines…

Being a teenager, as Father himself was also once, he isn’t going to be shocked. As long as he heard the sin,and he granted you absolution - then it is forgiven. Give thanks to God and move on.

It is also another tactic of Satan to make us think our sins are so bad, so black. It is also part of the condition of scrupulosity.
 
I think that you should speak with father. And, if you are bothered by so many things, I don’t know - maybe consider some counseling to build your confidence and self-esteem? Shyness is one thing, but constant embarrassment is quite another.

I do not know you, so this is based on very limited information. Still…
 
I tried telling him in his ear and I’m sure it shocked him a lot.
This is just the devil trying to tempt you all the way into the confessional. Embarrassing sins are not scandalous. Say it as it is. There is nothing new under the sun. We tend to think that our sins are so much more scandalous than everyone else´s but in reality they´re not. Father has heard it all before!
 
Last edited:
“I’m a priest. I hear confessions. And I can tell you, you don’t even need to go into detail in confession!! It’s better if you don’t. If you just say “I committed X sin Y times,” that suffices. And if I’m not clear on what you mean, I’ll ask! But detail has a danger, that we start explaining things to try to justify them. It’s better for our humility to just admit what we did and accept God’s forgiveness and get out! Be brief, be bold, be gone! -Fr ACEGC”

Did a search for you, Cajun, because I was curious. Copied and pasted. I’ll see if I can add the link to the thread but you know how bad I am at that☺.
 
I too had typed out a reply with the answer being 'there".

But realised you probably knew and were asking the question of Shy_christian . So I deleted what I’d typed and abandoned my reply.

I also thought it may have been a rhetorical question posed by you 🙂
 
Father had posted it in a thread about not describing sins in detail.
I can’t figure out how to attribute it correctly by linking it, but at least we found the words. The search also came up with other sayings that would work such as be bold be brief be gone.
 
Not sure if you already know this, but if so, just ignore.

To link to a particlar post in a thread-
  1. Click the link symbol beneath the post
  2. Copy what’s in the pop up box that appears
  3. Paste that in the post you are typing
40.png
Please stop describing your sins in detail! Moral Theology
I’m a priest. I hear confessions. And I can tell you, you don’t even need to go into detail in confession!! It’s better if you don’t. If you just say “I committed X sin Y times,” that suffices. And if I’m not clear on what you mean, I’ll ask! But detail has a danger, that we start explaining things to try to justify them. It’s better for our humility to just admit what we did and accept God’s forgiveness and get out! Be brief, be bold, be gone! -Fr ACEGC
 
Last edited:
Yes, though I’m not sure what that has to do with confession.
 
It’s…
Be brief, be blunt, be gone.
Since I discovered that my own confessions have become easier to prepare and to face, and more efficient to perform, and that’s after 40 years of them! As I’m mulling it over in my head (“Do I have to go? How do I explain this…?”) I remember “Be brief, be blunt, be gone”. 🙂

(There are variations on the “be blunt”, including “be bold” and “be brutal”).

This article (Be brief, be blunt, be gone) recommends it as a good rule for other situations. Avoid the complicated explanations, long stories and long excuses which are fascinating to you but boring to others.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top