R
rwillenborg
Guest
And maybe that’s what it comes down to. Less thinking, more doing. Less worrying, more doing. I can only be in one place at a time, right?You just do it.
Thanks! And have a blessed day!
And maybe that’s what it comes down to. Less thinking, more doing. Less worrying, more doing. I can only be in one place at a time, right?You just do it.
You may be making this a bit harder for yourself than you have to. Two year olds, Baptized or not, don’t have an obligation to attend Mass with you, nor do you have an obligation to take them even though you have an obligation to go yourself. As soon as they can understand what is going on at Mass, it is certainly good for them, of course, but you can ease into their going.Well, my husband doesn’t want the kids baptized and we were not married in the church. I was baptized as a baby, went to first communion and there was no more church after that. It’s only recently that I have rediscovered the Catholic faith and am working my way back into it.
Again, though, how would you balance these priorities? When the kids wake up crying because they’re cold, I don’t know how I could feel that I did them any favors in that instance either.
Believe it or not, I really am looking for an excuse TO go to Mass! It’s just, I have people on all sides, husband and family included who are telling me that I am crazy for putting Mass ahead of things like providing a warm environment for the kids, and I’m feeling very torn.
Thank you, and I was able to talk to the priest a few minutes before Mass today, and he heard my confession, and everything was fine, but again, I am torn as to how to behave if these future circumstances arise again.
How can I look a friend in the face and say ‘I have to go to Mass right now’ when she so clearly needs me helping her? I just struggle with this sort of stuff. Thanks for listening.![]()
Simple. Make every effort to get to mass on Sunday. If for any reason you cannot, confess the lapse and the reason. Also, in addition to confession, I recommend getting to a mass during the week if possible.I’ve read the catechism on this subject, but when it comes to applying it to very specific situations, it gets confusing for me.
I would say this is a legitimate reason.For example, the furnace went out in our house yesterday. The house is currently at 58 degrees. Someone can come out today to fix it, but he said it would be between 10 and 2 that he would be out here, so I will be sitting around today waiting for him. The only Masses within an hour of here are 10, noon, and 2. Is waiting for a furnace repair man a valid reason to miss Mass?
I would say no this is not a valid reason.The other weekend, we were painting the kids’ bedroom. My mother had the kids for the weekend (I have twin two year olds). I was worried we wouldn’t get it finished in time for their return on Sunday afternoon, so we kept on painting rather than go to Mass. Was that a valid reason?
I little trickier. Your plan here was to attend mass, but because you failed to plan, your plan failed. Your failure to properly plan is something you need to avoid in the future.For New Year’s Day, I assumed there would be a 7 pm Mass, as there is on all of the other Holy Days. Around 6 pm, I started to think ‘Uh, since everyone had today off today, what if they moved the Mass to the morning?’ I checked the website and indeed Mass had been at 9 in the morning. Had I been a little more on the ball, I wouldn’t have missed. Was that a valid reason for missing Mass?
Depends on what you mean by crabby, or whether there are others who could watch your kids etc. As a rule I’d say not a valid reason, but run this one by your confessor.Some days my kids are just plain crabby, usually due to lack of sleep. I’m a little crabby on those days, too. The idea of taking my crabby children to Mass is terrible, so on those days, I just stay home. Is that a valid reason?
Your lucky to live in a parish that has lines for confession. Ours does not.I’m not looking for excuses to miss Mass, by the way. I love love love Mass. But, it’s also hard for me to get to confession (all the confessions are on Saturday at 3, the line is an hour long, and of course I’ve got the twins with me, and it’s really difficult to maintain a reverent environment while trying to contain the kids) and of course if I miss Mass and don’t make it to confession, that means no Eucharist, so, unfortunately, MOST of the time when I go to Mass, I don’t take communion and I really would like to (not to mention not living in mortal sin would be nice, too)
Anyway, I just don’t want to be overly scrupulous in this matter so some charitable advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Mass is more important to me than anything. I would not skip Mass because crabby children. I would not skip Mass because of painting. Those things are not emergencies, you can plan around Mass time for painting. I plan bedtimes and meal schedules around Mass times to be sure my kids were as least likely to be crabby as possible (they are teens now).No. I also don’t think it would be okay to tell him that I missed Mass because my children were crabby, or because the furnace broke, or because I’m a flake and didn’t realize Mass was at a different time. However, these are things that do happen, so I guess I’m just wondering from people here on this board, if your kids are acting up, do you skip Mass? I don’t like to miss Mass, but then again, I don’t like spending the entirety of Mass scolding my children. If you were waiting for a furnace repairman would you skip Mass, or just have everyone sleep in a chilly house that night and have him come out the next day (honestly, I worry more about the kids’ room than ours. Those two spin in their sleep and never keep blankets on!!)? And, regarding the painting - my mother only grudgingly watches the kids. If she dropped them off and saw the room WASN’T finished, she would have flipped, and she wouldn’t watch the kids again until the room was finished.
None of these are particularly stellar reasons for missing Mass, and, again, I enjoy Mass. But, I guess what I wonder is missing Mass for these reasons still a mortal sin?
I’d stop at Wal Mart and pick up a $20 space heater for the kids room or put them in bed with me for the night.So, if it were you, you would just reschedule the furnace repairman for the following day and hope the kids didn’t get too cold in the night?