What is Bayside Apparition?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thomasbradley312
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomasbradley312

Guest
Someone was telling me there was some Marian apparition somewhere in New York in the 1980s called Bayside?
Anyone hear of this?
 
Last edited:
Servant of God, Fr. John Hardon, S.J. (RIP) spoke on visions and visionaries during a mission toward the end of his life. He preferred to discuss mystics and mysticism. He states clearly that anyone who publicizes or profits from their alleged visions is a fraud. Great humility is the requisite, as the Lord reveals Himself to humble hearts. Any of Fr. Hardon’s talks - on any subject - are well worth listening to.
 
It was a huge phony-baloney ongoing alleged “apparition” in the 70s and 80s, mostly focused on criticizing Vatican II and making apocalyptic pronouncements. It drew crowds and got a lot of national news coverage at the time. It was condemned by the Church as posted above. Mrs. Lueken has been deceased for some years and outside of the usual Fatima tinfoil hat circles, the apparition doesn’t come up much any more.
 
Last edited:
Bayside is in northeast Queens, near Long Island and the bridge to the Bronx.

Source: I’m there every day. My parish is in Bayside.

Fun side story: a year ago in the Friday before Palm Sunday someone told me about it and I thought all Marian apparitions were nuts. That Monday I went to reconciliation Monday, and was given a decade of the rosary of penance. This led to coming here, doing the rosary almost every day, and changing my view on Marian apparitions and my life in general.
 
I myself believe in APPROVED Marian apparitions. We are supposed to be wary of unapproved apparitions, although if the seer is a saint or is on the path to sainthood, or the apparition is “approved for faith expression”, it is generally okay to practice some devotion associated with the apparition. There are many, many apparitions or locutions with at least some level of Church approval.

However, when the Church tells us a particular apparition or locution is NOT credible, we should listen to them and avoid it. There are a lot of people out there who have an agenda or may simply be confused or disturbed who propagate alleged apparitions or locutions. Bayside got attention primarily because it attracted many people who disapproved of Vatican II. Veronica Lueken will never be on the path to canonization.

Therefore, I would hope you’re not going around believing in Bayside apparition when the Bishop specifically warned against it.
 
Last edited:
When I was a young married, our parish had a couple of Bayside devotee families. The moms wore blue beanies.
They seemed pleasant enough.
 
I’ll confess to being disappointed years ago when the bishop condemned the apparitions. I would have liked for Mary to appear in the USA.

Unbeknownst to me she’d already appeared a couple of times in USA, in apparitions that, unlike Bayside, were at some point bishop-approved or “approved for faith expression”. Before the Internet it was hard to know about these things. I am guessing Bayside got so much press attention because it was a New York City story and in those days, the national news thought of NYC as the best place for “human interest stories”.
 
I must admit that I am bothered by the fascination/obsession with both Fatima (approved) and Medjugorje (not approved). It’s like the faith does not have enough for them.
 
I’m uncomfortable with the fascination with Medj because it is not approved and because the “visions” are apparently still going on and people seem to be going there in part to watch a seer having a vision on demand. It needs to be approved or not, at some point, because there are those claiming it is already approved while I am not reading anything to support this.

Fatima is something I grew up with since I was a tiny girl; my mother taught me about it partly because I was a child like the children at Fatima, so I am fine with the apparition, and love the saints involved and hope Sister Lucia also becomes a saint. I don’t like those who make the apparition into a conspiracy theory or use it to attack one of the Popes or attack anyone else. The message of Fatima was a simple one and involved prayer and sacrifice for reparation, for the Holy Father, and to save sinners. It wasn’t some big Name of the Rose thing.
 
Last edited:
I must admit that I am bothered by the fascination/obsession with both Fatima (approved) and Medjugorje (not approved). It’s like the faith does not have enough for them.
I find this attitude to Our Lady of Fatima baffling. An approved, modern manifestation of Mary, with words of guidance and supernatural visions, together with a miracle witnessed by thousands of believers and non-believers alike - how are you not fascinated and thankful? How are you bothered by this?
 
Last edited:
Don’t be baffled. I have a devotion to Lourdes. However, as Tis_Bearself explained, it is those who go overboard and make it into what it is not. They see conspiracies everywhere.

The true (and defined) apparition by itself is perfectly great - a miracle for all to ponder. However, look at what has become of it in some circles, i.e. the paranoiacs on YouTube.

As to Medjugorje, it is alleged that the “apparition” says on occasion “I and my Son”…

That would not be Mary speaking.
 
The Bayside movement is a series of conspiracy theories and apocalyptic themes. It contradicts the faith on many levels. I live near the site, but I’d never go there!
 
I would be careful about making a pronouncement like that. As far the Church is concerned, a definitive judgement has not been made one way or the other as yet. However the fact that permission for officially organised Church pilgrimages to Medjugorge has recently been granted, so perhaps things may develop.

I have been sceptical of Medjugorge myself, but when on holiday to Croatia took a trip to Medjugorge and something happened on the way up Apparition Hill that changed my outlook on Megjugorge (something internally). Regardless of whatever is said about the letters etc, it would take a lot for someone to convince me that Mary is not there in Medjugorge.
 
Last edited:
I would be careful about declaring something to be bunk before is is declared to be not of a supernatural nature by the Church. Medjugorge is still being investigated and has not been rejected.
 

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top