Good reminder, Jim.
I hope its okay if I post something that’s a little silly. Please don’t think that I’m discounting anyone’s opinions or feelings, or making light of the Eucharist; I mean nothing of the kind.
Here is what emotional expectations can do to me when I’m not careful, especially in regard to spiritual experiences (like prayer, holy communion, etc.):
Joyful Person: “On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the least excited, 10 being the most excited), you’re going to feel 20!!!”
Me: “I know that I tend to feel about 1/4 of what Joyful Person feels, so I look forward to feeling at least 5 on the scale of excitement.”
Then it happens, and I feel 1 instead of 5. But since I was expecting a 5, I now feel disappointment and confusion, which turns my 1 into a -5. I wonder what’s wrong with me.
Joyful Person does not understand why I’m not feeling 20, so the only person left to talk to is Rational Person.
Rational Person: “It was selfish, irrational, and ungrateful of you to expect feelings. You should be altruistically performing your duty. Stop whining, get out there and be a good Christian soldier.”
Now I feel disappointed
and unfairly criticized, which can be very discouraging.