What is your stand on this dilemma?

• Thread starter Thread starter Patri
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patri

I posted this question earlier on but can’t seem to find it (hope I have not duplicated it). So, every examination of conscience guide is very clear on the sin of abortion and the various ways it can be aided (making one an accomplice). There are some people that after trying to dissuade the woman, will go with her so she is not alone during such a gruesome procedure and to care for her afterwards. Is being at the clinic considered Christian charity or would we somehow be complicit by being there? In both cases, the companion would be completely against the abortion.

Complicit. Even being present to support the woman alone, during the abortion, would be to support the abortion. I pray I am never put in this position, but if I was, I would have to take the hard road and tell her that I can’t help her murder an innocent child. It sounds harsh but if someone is dead set on having an abortion then sometimes telling them the truth as bluntly as that is what they need to hear.

It sounds like it would be complicit to me but I can’t verify it. If someone was going to kill a person I wouldn’t accompany them there to let them “not be alone.” That’s their sin, they decided to do that. The most I’d do is pick them up the place and immediately begin telling them about repentance since trying to get them to not do it didn’t work. But going with them and staying with them I wouldn’t do that.

You shouldn’t accompany her there. You should make it clear you do not support her decision. That alone might dissuade her, or cause her to change her mind at the clinic, or if it doesn’t then the experience being emotionally difficult might prevent her from doing it again if she has another unwanted pregnancy.

Yes, that is my opinion too, if I’m there, I would be outside the facility praying she changes her mind. Had the conversation with someone if they could drive someone there and we both found it difficult to imagine and scenarios like cars breaking down or getting lost. I do think being there implies an understanding and support, I would be concerned afterwards and try to get the woman to somewhere like Rachel’s Vineyard.

Could not find it and thought it had not gone through. Maybe I can cancel so as not to duplicate.

I saw the film “Bella” and there is such a scene. The lead male accompanies her and prays in the waiting room. She changes her mind, and comes out of the room.

So I don’t know what the answer is.

I think intention matters.

Bella, while a great movie is not Church doctrine or a moral guide. You can pray anywhere. The only acceptable reason to accompany someone to a murder is to stop it.

My brother in law gave up his job of driving a shuttle car to take people to appointments (some local, some a good distance away) because some of his clients were going to a city four hours away to get abortions. One time, he wasn’t told where the client was going, they just gave him an address. He thought it was a regular doctor’s office until he saw the sign outside. He apologized to the young woman (she was with an older woman, either her mother or aunt) but told her he could not, in conscience, drop her off there. He told her he would take her to another location (regular doctor’s office) nearby, but he would not drop her off at the clinic. She agreed to the offer, though it meant walking a few blocks. He called his boss and ripped into him for not telling him where he was going, though they had a previous agreement to NOT give my BIL such assignments. There happened to be another driver in the city who was going to “dead head” back, so he was told to pick up the client and drive her back. My BIL ended up forfeiting an entire day’s wages and ended up quitting not long afterward. He could not see himself as a disinterested party in these types of assignments. He prayed for that young woman the whole way home and I think he still wonders if she went through with it.

I understand him, it is a terrible situation to be in, thinking of what is about to happen to that child and not being able to do more than speak and pray.

I am against shunning.
What I mean by that is just because someone does something you think is morally wrong, you do not shun them because of their decision. Providing support does not mean you agree with what they do.

I do not have a daughter. I have sons. If I had a daughter, I don’t I have sons, and she wanted an abortion, I would not agree but I would not leave her alone. I don’t think being there means you agree.

Maybe you could say “I will take you there on the condition that you know I am praying for you to change your mind, and if you do change your mind I will be there to get you out of there”.

This would be a horrible situation to be in - I would want to be with my daughter, but to know I would be losing a grandchild…I can’t imagine.

There are some people that after trying to dissuade the woman, will go with her so she is not alone during such a gruesome procedure and to care for her afterwards. Is being at the clinic considered Christian charity or would we somehow be complicit by being there?
Is the person willing the abortion? Are they participating in it? Are they providing material support, without which the abortion will happen? Are they not providing a contribution to the abortion, without which the abortion would occur?

I think we’re getting close enough to suggest that it’s remote material cooperation, which can be considered not sinful “when there is a proportionately serious reason to do so”.

What about priests being present during executions?
Is the execution one of a guilty person being punished for a sin he actually committed? On the other hand, no baby in the womb is guilty of personal sin. 😉

Is the execution one of a guilty person being punished for a sin he actually committed? On the other hand, no baby in the womb is guilty of personal sin. 😉
We never know. Some are guilty, some are not. But I understand the Church believes none deserve death. Just wondering about the participation of a priest in the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back