G
gracelife
Guest
What must one believe to be Catholic?
A checklist would be great!
A checklist would be great!
Why do you ask this question? Are you looking for the minimum necessary belief to be Catholic? It sounds like (though I could be wrong) that you are trying to find out what Catholic teachings you are allowed to disbelieve.For starters, which dogmas must one believe.
All the dogmas must be believed–that is the very definition of a dogma, something that must be believed.Got the catechsim and the compendium. lol
Believe the Nicene creed, albiet not sure about Catholic with the capitol C.
For starters, which dogmas must one believe.
I don’t think it’s the intention of the OP to just do the minimum requirements to be Catholic, in light of other threads I’ve read by him/her.Why do you ask this question? Are you looking for the minimum necessary belief to be Catholic? It sounds like (though I could be wrong) that you are trying to find out what Catholic teachings you are allowed to disbelieve.
Oh no, not at all Mike. If I were to be Catholic, I would want to know what I am required to believe. If one’s going to be something, I think, they should believe all of it.Why do you ask this question? Are you looking for the minimum necessary belief to be Catholic? It sounds like (though I could be wrong) that you are trying to find out what Catholic teachings you are allowed to disbelieve.
As Della said, it starts with the Creed. And then to distinguish yourself from others who profess/confess the Creed, understand the four marks of the Church as taught by the Church (ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb2.htm)). This understanding makes it clear that you assent to the Teaching Authority of the Magisterium. This assent is the fruit of you believing that God is all-good, all-knowing and all-loving and that He commissioned the Church to assist His children become more holy and spend eternity with him.What must one believe to be Catholic?
A checklist would be great!![]()
As a protestant I believe those 10 things, except #4 is interpreted differently.
Do we have any historical evidences for how
One, Holy Catholic, Apostolic is to be understood
I could say and realized Catholics may disagree to an extent.
One church (including “separated brethren”)
Holy (holy in Christ)
Catholic (universal, including “separated brethren”)
**Apostolic (based on the Apostle’s teaching)/**QUOTE]
There are other things but i would start with the Apostolicity being both what the Apostles taught and who the Apostles left their teaching authority to. Apostlolic Succession is a part of the 4th mark (Apostolic) of the Church. For example, Today who claims(based on historical fact) to be the successor of Peter?His Holiness Benedict XVI.
Also to believe IN the church is more than to believe the church.It means you believe in the magisterial authority of the Church.
Read the Church Fathers for the historical evidence. As to how they are to be understood, they are to be understood as they were written in the 4th century, long before there were any Protestants (who didn’t come along until the 16th century) to put their own “interpretation” on them.As a protestant I believe those 10 things, except #4 is interpreted differently.
Do we have any historical evidences for how
One, Holy Catholic, Apostolic is to be understood
Catholic are to give mental assent to those dogmas they don’t understand. If we disagree with any dogmas, we are no longer thinking like Catholics.I could say and realized Catholics may disagree to an extent.
Only by reason of the trinitarian baptism, but they are still in danger if they know they ought to be fully in union the Catholic Church.One church (including “separated brethren”)
Yes, but also truly holy. Catholicism teaches that Christ makes us truly holy not merely appear to be holy.Holy (holy in Christ)
With the caveat I expressed above.Catholic (universal, including “separated brethren”)
Absolutely!Apostolic (based on the Apostle’s teaching)
I have some mentally retarded friends who became Catholic. They recognize and accept the voice of authority of the Church as having a divine origin, but they do not have to know a certain number of dogmas or understand a certain percentage of teaching to be Catholic.What must one believe to be Catholic?
A checklist would be great!![]()
You’ve got to be a fairly sophisticated philosopher to even have an opinion on some of the subjects the Church has pronounced upon.What must one believe to be Catholic?
A checklist would be great!![]()
I think this is key. Basically, I think, you need to be a Christian that has faith that Christ left the Catholic Church to feed his sheep. He left the Spirit to guide the Catholic Church. The Church as 2,000 years of experience and the understanding from some extremely intelligent and gifted people - much more knowledgeable and with deeper understanding then yourself. We are all mentally retarded compared to some of the Doctors of the Church. You may not understand why all the dogmas are taught but you need faith that the Church is correct.I have some mentally retarded friends who became Catholic. They recognize and accept the voice of authority of the Church as having a divine origin, but they do not have to know a certain number of dogmas or understand a certain percentage of teaching to be Catholic.
This is why essentially the Apostle’s Ceed could be stripped down to the one sentence- I believe IN the Catholic Chuch.I think this is key. Basically, I think, you need to be a Christian that has faith that Christ left the Catholic Church to feed his sheep. He left the Spirit to guide the Catholic Church. The Church as 2,000 years of experience and the understanding from some extremely intelligent and gifted people - much more knowledgeable and with deeper understanding then yourself. We are all mentally retarded compared to some of the Doctors of the Church. You may not understand why all the dogmas are taught but you need faith that the Church is correct.
Meaning there is a single institution of the Church which Christ established. That is the Catholic Church. Christ desires one, unified Church not many denominations that interpret things differently. Separated Brethren can be joined to the One Church, but imperfectly.One church (including “separated brethren”)
Catholic is normally taken to mean universal as in open to all. We’ll accept anyone, in other words, there are no prerequisites. It has also been interpreted by certain Church Fathers as universal as in no matter which Catholic Church you go to the same beliefs are preached in all. In that sense, it’s not something that could be said of any other Church.Catholic (universal, including “separated brethren”)
Meaning the Church was founded by the Apostles and their teachings, whether by word or letter, are to be found there. Also that the apostolic authority has been passed on from the apostles to their sucessors for centuries. The authority that the Pope and Bishops have today is the same authority given to the apostles by Jesus.Apostolic (based on the Apostle’s teaching)
I think the Catholic Church teaches the opposite.This is why essentially the Apostle’s Ceed could be stripped down to the one sentence- I believe IN the Catholic Chuch.
OK, that’s fine. Really, the Catechism is the best source for the teachings of the Catholic faith. Peter Kreeft also has a Catechism out, and since I like his writings and his orthodoxy I’d guess that’s a good one also. Ott’s “Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma” is often said to be the go-to book for a list of dogmas and doctrines.Oh no, not at all Mike. If I were to be Catholic, I would want to know what I am required to believe. If one’s going to be something, I think, they should believe all of it.
I asked for a checklist so that I could go through it and think, yes or no whether I could believe that and then have a point from which to study.