K
kimon
Guest
I believe a quote from Carl Sagan is appropriate here: “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”
Is that where you were going with that argument? Wow, you really didn’t make that clear in your last post.This is because you are insufficiently skeptical, my friend. I am saying I do not believe the previous president was, in fact, the president. There is absolutely no credible evidence for it, as I showed you.
I follow you. You assign moral values to “just a bunch of molecules” even though there is objectively no moral difference between one set of natural reactions over another.Just as in the analogy, we come up with criteria for good and bad shots and impose those on “just a bunch of balls moving around,” so too in real life have we come up with criteria for good and bad actions and imposed them on “just a bunch of molecules moving around.”
Of course it’s not. I can’t “prove” that there’s no gods any more than I can’t prove that there’s no leprechauns anywhere in the universe.I believe a quote from Carl Sagan is appropriate here: “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”
Yes, that’s right. Objectively, to the universe – outside of human consciousness – it doesn’t matter what we do. But to us, it matters a great deal, so we have slowly, over time, developed criteria for what we consider moral.I follow you. You assign moral values to “just a bunch of molecules” even though there is objectively no moral difference between one set of natural reactions over another.
It’s self-evident that you think that there’s something more to it than just physical reactions if you are going to call one set of natural actions moral and one immoral. You therefore don’t adhere to materialism.Yes, that’s right. Objectively, to the universe – outside of human consciousness – it doesn’t matter what we do. But to us, it matters a great deal, so we have slowly, over time, developed criteria for what we consider moral.
Precisely. This is where faith kicks in.Of course it’s not. I can’t “prove” that there’s no gods any more than I can’t prove that there’s no leprechauns anywhere in the universe.
But the fact that I can’t prove it wrong is stunningly irrelevant to the fact that there’s no compelling reason to believe that gods or leprechauns exist.
The default position on any claim of existence is to not accept it until there is sufficient evidence for it. And, to quote Sagan again, “Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.”
There is no good evidence that GW was our last president. All of the evidence is bad evidence, by definition.Is thatThe simple answer is that there is a ton of good evidence that George Bush was our last president. You appear to have missed what I said in my last post about extraordinary claims.
I have no problem accepting testimony of individuals for ordinary claims. If you are claiming that a man was elected president, and you have television reports and tabulated results of the elections, and good evidence that everyone agrees with those things, then you have way more than sufficient evidence.
You’ve completely ignored the rest of my post. Do you agree that testimony is not sufficient to make you believe extraordinary claims? Do you, for example, believe that people on the earth have been abducted by aliens on the evidence of their personal stories (sometimes stories of groups of people who claim to have been abducted)?
No. To you, morality apparently means “obeying rules that (I’m just believing for no good reason) come from the Great Beyond.” To me, morality means “a system of values that we have developed slowly over time to evaluate natural things.”It’s self-evident that you think that there’s something more to it than just physical reactions if you are going to call one set of natural actions moral and one immoral. You therefore don’t adhere to materialism.
What universe are you talking about? The only thing that exists is my keyboard. Your nothing but daft figment, at best. I bet Anti is passing you off under his name. Not that I’d ever take your word for it.AntiTheist, you never answered my question about contingency. Does the universe need to exist?
Oh, so I didn’t – sorry, I thought I had. Very well then:AntiTheist, you never answered my question about contingency.
The only honest answer I can give to this question is “I don’t know.”Does the universe need to exist?
We’ve been through this already. If the best argument you have left is a childish strawman of actual skepticism, you’ve made my point for me.There is no good evidence that GW was our last president. All of the evidence is bad evidence, by definition.
I agree with you. I define faith – as you do – as belief in a claim when there is insufficient evidence to accept the claim.Precisely. This [when there is no compelling evidence to believe] is where faith kicks in.
I believe that’s a cop out of an answer. It’s either yes or no.Oh, so I didn’t – sorry, I thought I had. Very well then: The only honest answer I can give to this question is “I don’t know.”
I don’t think we’ve learned enough about cosmic origins to sensibly say whether the universe is a necessary outcome of whatever processes were going on “before” the Big Bang (if “before the Big Bang” even makes sense, since it seems that time as we understand it did not exist before the Big Bang). It could be, for example, that there is some “law of the universe” (or, er, “law of the…pre-universe,” shall we say?) that makes it so that the expansion known as the Big Bang was a necessary outcome.
It could be that the laws of the pre-universe were such that the emergence of the universe was a possibility.
It could be that the multiverse hypothesis is correct and that there billions of alternate universes, and we happen to live in the one of them that has at least one planet (and probably more) that can support some kind of life (in which case, the number of possibilities for life to arise are so vast that the odds are very good that life – even if the conditions for life are relatively rare – would indeed arise in one of those univereses).
I really don’t know.
Wattenton, you must have missed my first post. I am definitely Catholic, I’m in the process of applying to seminary right now.What universe are you talking about? The only thing that exists is my keyboard. Your nothing but daft figment, at best. I bet Anti is passing you off under his name. Not that I’d ever take your word for it.
Bah. Humbug.
Well, the truth of the matter is either a yes or a no, but my beliefs about the matter aren’t limited to yes or no. “I don’t know” is an acceptable belief to hold about the matter.I believe that’s a cop out of an answer. It’s either yes or no.
When I say “pre-universe,” I’m coining a term for whatever was around before the Big Bang. You see, we have a pretty good understanding of what happened a few seconds after the Big Bang, but before that, it’s a total mystery.1,2. If there was a pre-universe
I can’t say whether or not that’s the case. As I said above, “before the Big Bang” might not actually make any sense because it’s possible that there was no time (and hence no “before”). That means that all the rules of the universe – including causality and contingency – could very well go right out the window.then isn’t our universe contingent on the existence of a pre-universe?
I didn’t claim that they “just appeared.” Either these mutliple universes have always existed or they generate naturally because of some cosmic law we haven’t discovered yet, or…possibly other reasons that we don’t know because we haven’t discovered yet. The point is that we don’t know enough about cosmic origins to make definite statements about it.Even if there are multiverses it would not make sense for them to just appear.
As I said, I can’t say that your claim about contingency applies to the universe as a whole – but even if you could demonstrate that the universe is contingent upon something, I see no compelling reason why that something has to be intelligent. The universe could be contingent upon blind laws that have just always existed.We say that the universe is contingent on a being that has no necessity, by that I mean what we call God does not need to exist so therefore God is able to create.
That was just plain rude and why does it even belong here? I thought this was not a political site.And just to put you at ease, I like you am skeptical. For example, I never believed anyone like the previous president could actually be the president. I know he was not elected by a majority. And I know he was not much of a speaker. And I know he was not usually correct. In short, he had none of the attributes of a president. Plus I never met him, or anyone who had. I concluded, therefore, that his entire presidency was just some sort of a hoax. I hope he enjoyed it at least, because it was painful to watch.
Childish? Made your point? What impertinence!We’ve been through this already. If the best argument you have left is a childish strawman of actual skepticism, you’ve made my point for me.
Miriam: We are talking about proof here, not politics. The thread is about someone who won’t accept any testimony about Christ. I’m sure Mr. Bush can withstand the analogy, and being a Christian, he would probably enjoy the joke.That was just plain rude and why does it even belong here? I thought this was not a political site.