…If I were you, I would give up now before I make your arguments look even more foolish.
Anti, you need not think me shallow because I am frivolous any more that I think you profound because you are severe. Besides, we are having such fun.
I was impressed by your research into how elections are “verified.” It embarrasses me to to admit it was really a joke on my part. You supplied the “punchline” when you admitted that you rely on sources that you have not bothered to verify personally for yourself. You “weigh the evidence.” Fair enough. We agree.
You never did explain how to separate the wheat from the chaff (hope you don’t mind the analogy) from historical testimony, and I remain confused by how you say we can believe that the Roman army beat the Gauls outside of Lyon but not that the auguries that predicted that they would.
We can’t just have a rule that says, believe everything that deals with geography, but nothing that deals with auguries. Or, believe that the prophet fled to Medina, but not that he prophesied. That is even more subjective than believing everything, or nothing.
I suggest we go with “Believe nothing.” It’s safer.
Then we don’t need to get into who wrote Plutarch’s Lives, or whether the stories are fictional, or whether the thing is an early medieval fantasy cobbled together by overly creative, or bored, monks. Think what would happen if someone 2000 years hence stumbled on a copy of Monty Python’s Flying Circus, and took it for a chronicle.
I was startled by the polemical tone of your last post. You should, to be consistent, love GW because he played a tremendous joke on very many people.
It is apparent that you want your beliefs, or alleged lack of them, taken seriously. This is challenging because the way you reason is unscientific. You preconceive a notion of what is reasonable based on your own limited observations and experience, and proceed to apply it willy nilly to things quite evidently out of your experience.
Then, you get angry it suggested however mildly that your methods are inconsistent. You claim to loathe GW. Why? You should love him. He played a fantastic joke.
Could it be that your emotion is really jealousy? Perhaps GW is just a better atheist than you. If the universe is morally neutral, does this not suggest certain “opportunities” to the creative mind? For example, pulling one over on all the credulous fools who reason “rationally” about elections, like…I won’t name names.
This is an odd coincidence about atheists, they seldom come across as funny.
The question non-believers seem really to hate being asked is whether they love GW.
As my favorite petulant child said, “Curiouser and curiouser!”