What really is magic? Am i doing it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ihavequestions1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ihavequestions1

Guest
So I know that trying to perform magic is a mortal sin, but what I am struggling with is my head. Here’s an example. I’m walking toward where i turn on the lights, but my head says; If you turn on those lights you do (whatever, maybe something related to magic) Did i commit magic? I wanted to turn on the lights because I thought it was dark, but my head tells me that if I do said action, i do something supernatural, per se. Is this magic?
 
So I know that trying to perform magic is a mortal sin, but what I am struggling with is my head. Here’s an example. I’m walking toward where i turn on the lights, but my head says; If you turn on those lights you do (whatever, maybe something related to magic) Did i commit magic? I wanted to turn on the lights because I thought it was dark, but my head tells me that if I do said action, i do something supernatural, per se. Is this magic?
Are you asking if flipping a light switch is sorcery?
 
I had a thought in my head that if i flip a light switch i do something supernatural. Is that a mortal sin?
 
No. Are these thoughts recurrent, repetitive or intrusive? Do they interrupt your daily routine or your enjoyment of life?

If so, I would give doctor a call. Seriously.
 
Question about whether your thought was sinful aside, let’s put to rest for you the notion that flipping on a light switch is sorcery.

When you flip the switch you connect two wires together. This allows an event happening elsewhere to force loads of electrons through that wire. In the light bulb, there’s a different wire that doesn’t let electrons through as easily. The electrons going through it heat up the filament, and it glows. That’s it. Nothing magical going on. Just a little electrical science.
 
If this is a serious question you need to stop posting on the boards and get help with scruples and find a spiritual advisor that can help you logically form your own conscience. By asking these sorts of questions not only are you giving into an illogical part of your conscience but you are also judging others. Including saints and popes who have lit rooms with light.

Stop judging others.
Please engage logic into your formation.

And if this is a scruple or a mental condition please seek appropriate help.
 
So I know that trying to perform magic is a mortal sin, but what I am struggling with is my head. Here’s an example. I’m walking toward where i turn on the lights, but my head says; If you turn on those lights you do (whatever, maybe something related to magic) Did i commit magic? I wanted to turn on the lights because I thought it was dark, but my head tells me that if I do said action, i do something supernatural, per se. Is this magic?
Are you saying you can turn lights on and off, for example, with mere thoughts, without a physical flick of the switch?
 
This is actually a sign of OCD called scrupulosity. I suffer from this form of it often times it takes innocent things like turning on the lights quickly spiral into you thinking turning g them on is a mortal sin. So don’t worry about it and possibly talk to a therapist about it!
 
Are you being treated for OCD? What you are describing sounds similar to an OCD related symptom called “magical thinking”. I have suffered from this.
 
Wait! I’m confused. Could you clarify?
Are you asking the question that when you flip on a light switch, with your hand, you believe you are using magic?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top