What sort of rosary do you use?

• Thread starter Thread starter romano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

romano

What sort of rosary do you use? One with wooden beads? metal beads? glass beads? other?

I recently acquired an Italian rosary with large smooth oval olive wood beads strung on cord and with a chunky olive wood cross. There is no metal in it at all (apart from a small medal I added) and I’m finding it much easier to pray the rosary these days; it’s somehow more soothing, comforting, and seems to help me concentrate better on the mysteries.

Do different rosaries have different effects on you?

My “best rosary” has glass beads. Most of my other rosaries have plastic beads and one has string beads (it’s a “rope rosary” from the rosary army). I do have one rosary I lost years ago that had olive seeds as beads. Though I hope I find it someday, I am not sure I ever will 😦

I own a handul of rosaries with wooden beads, but my current favorite day to day rosary has beads of hematite. It has a very satisfying weight to it.

Funny story: When I began using it, I found myself frequently muttering under my breath about prayer leaders who couldn’t count right. I don’t know how long it took to discover the fault was in myself – Taking a closer look, the 3rd decade of my new rosary had only 9 Aves. :eek: Luckily, I was able to find a similar bead at a junk jewelry shop and amend the count back to 10. :rotfl:

tee

I use a scriptural rosary, a vest-pocket size book. I find it helps me keep my mind on the mysteries much better.

Didymus

I use one with wooden beads, which was blessed by the Pope.

I’m not sure how to vote.

My beads are hematite, which is considered a semi-precios stone, so that would be “other”. But hematite is really raw iron ore, so would that be “metal”?

40.png
didymus:
I use a scriptural rosary, a vest-pocket size book. I find it helps me keep my mind on the mysteries much better.
I use the the scriptual rosary as well as a wodden beaded rosary.

All of the above 🙂 My favorite has rough turquoise beads - each feels different, however, it is heavy and needs re-strung right now. In my purse I carry one with wooden beads - flea market rescue.

I had to vote “Other”, as I have (and use) all kinds of rosaries. The two I carry around with me at all times, though are a rosary with glass beads, with metal “charms” symbolizing the mysteries replacing the single “Our Father” beads (it was made before the Luminous Mysteries were added, so it has only three symbols per decade) and a Franciscan Crown Rosary that has brown wooden beads, and a San Damiano crucifix.

I have several but checked wooden because it is my favorite. It was missing the first three Hail Mary’s when given to me by a sister over 60 years ago. My father patched it with some spare beads. I have patched it since, replaced the cross, which fell apart, with one from the Roman Catacombs, and redone much of the wire with copper patches. It still works.

I also have the Mother of Pearl one my grandmother gave my grandfather at their wedding over 100 years ago. It is now too fragile to use, but I keep it on my home prayer altar.

Then there is the little string and plastic one someone from Operation Rescue gave me several years ago. It is for use in bed at night, and goes to the hospital with me.

And there is a wood and chain one that I carry everyday. It is getting overrun by repairs and I will probably have to replace it.

I also keep one from Lourdes and one from Medjugorje, that friends have given me, on my prayer altar.

I use one I made myself, metal Our Father beads with plastic Hail Mary beads…strung together with fishing line…Blessed by the Pope and traveled to all the places I have ever been since then.

I have several rosaries but the one I use the most was blessed by John Paul II and given to me by a Franciscan nun I know. It is beautiful with glass beads and a gold crucifix that looks like the staff the Holy Father used during his pontificate.

I have several, mostly glass beads, but a few plastic ones, too. One I have that is rather different doesn’t have the crucifix and first 4 beads on a separate string, but they are attached to the rest of the beads in a continuous circle. It does make for less fumbling and no extra part hanging down to bang into the backs of pews. I like it a lot.

40.png
ThornGenX:
I do have one rosary I lost years ago that had olive seeds as beads. Though I hope I find it someday, I am not sure I ever will 😦
My grandmother gave me a lovely rosary for my first communion. It was one that she loved. I left it with my parents with some of my jewlery (nothing I thought was expensive, but a ew items that an elderly women gave me when I spent time with her; she was old enoug to be my grandmother’s mother and her daughter died fairly young so she gave met higns of hers; apparently I realized recently many of the baubles were collector’s items) when I went to graduate school, because I did not know much about the people who I would have shared housing with, and didn’t want anything to happen to it. When I returned, it and the jewelry were gone. They were all kept in a box, and the box disappeared. The loss of the rosary grieves me the most.

It also means that some one in my immediate family stole form me. I don’t understand how they could sell a rosary too, but one of those things only God knows. I keep hoping that maybe they couldn’t bring themselves to it, and left it some where, and I have searched the hosue many times, but it has not shown up. No one admits to touching anything.

While cleaning out my grandmother’s house (after he death) people had raided her jewelry collection long ebfore I started the task. But I found a beautiful blue crystal rosary that had been blessed by Pope John Paul II. It is the rosary I have been using ever since.

I have several, but the one I carry with me is one of those wooden, “memory” rosaries.

As I pray the Rosay throughout the day, it’s a very convenient one.

:blessyou:

I didn’t vote because I use all three kinds! I have a couple of lovely wooden Rosaries, as well as a couple of glass ones and a couple of metal ones. And oh yes, I also have one of those compacted rose petal ones, made by the Carmelites in Spain. That one is turning out to be one of my favorites, because of its lovely rose fragrance it emits as I touch each bead. I highly recommend it!

*I didn’t know how to vote because I use several kinds. I have a ladder rosary with blue crystal beads, but I also have a knotted one that is easy to use when you are out and about in nature. I have a ring rosary that I sometimes use as well as one decade auto rosary on my dash. When I want to pray for my deceased father in law, I use his steel rosary that got him through WW II, including the bloody Battle of the Bulge.:gopray2: *

***I make rosaries so I’ve used a number of differant kinds. For the past few years I’ve made mission rosaries. I started out with the chain ones with plastic beads but then went to making knotted cord rosaries. I like the knotted cord ones so I made one for myself and added a really nice bronze crucifix I found on the internet. Quite uniqe and simple. I like being able to just put it in my pocket without needing a case of some sort. ***

I use the simple black rosary that I was given when I joined the Knights of Columbus. I started carrying it every day after taking my first degree, and now I manage to say one set of mysteries every day.

I think that the answer to your question is similar to the answer to the question about which bible to own. — The one that you read.

So, which rosary should you have? – The one that you use.

Peace and charity,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back