.What the Bible Really Says on Homosexuality in 5 Quotes. A short article

• Thread starter Thread starter mdgspencer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Old Testament, how these promised births would happen is frequent enough.

Even though Christian tradition puts this as when Jesus is conceived.
It still happens after the annunciation, so… “future”. And Mary is still confused why it could happen to her.
So a woman asking how she can be pregnant even though she’s betrothed and yet to be with anyone implies a vow
“Expectation”, not necessarily “formal vow”. She expected to remain a virgin, even though married. Hence the “whatcha talkin’ 'bout, Willis?!?” to Gabriel… 😉
Or she’s asking that question because this is unheard of.
Except that… it wasn’t. Betrothal already created the legal obligation. Even before moving in with her spouse, it wasn’t unheard of for a betrothed woman to become pregnant. So… no; I’m afraid you’re mistaken.

48.png
Gorgias:
Except that… it wasn’t
Because virgin births existed before Jesus. 🤣🤣🤣
You weren’t addressing a “virgin birth” – you were addressing a “conception during betrothal.” That dynamic wasn’t unheard of, even in first century Palestine…
😉

you were addressing a “conception during betrothal.”
During which Mary knew no man.

Also, stop playing dumb. It looks worse on you and it shows you think I’m a fool.

Last edited:
During which Mary knew no man.
I never ate sushi before I turned, oh, 25. If someone came up to me and said “you will love sushi”, it wouldn’t have been a reasonable response to say “I’ve never had a piece of sushi pass my lips”… unless I’d resolved never to eat raw fish.
Also, stop playing dumb.
I’m not. I know you’re talking about “vows”, but that’s beside the point – we’re talking about whether Mary intended ever to engage in marital relations. The Church teaches “she intended never to do so.”

Not sure why you think I’m playing a role. I think you’re claiming Mary had no intent to never have marital relations. Are you claiming something different?
it shows you think I’m a fool.
🤷‍♂️
Sin is a social construct made by people that just wanted to oppress others.
🤣
im straight btw
I’m not interested in dealing with other people’s sexualities.
😉

“I’ve never had a piece of sushi pass my lips”… unless I’d resolved never to eat raw fish.
And?
The Church teaches “she intended never to do so.”
She teaches Mary never did. No one is prevented from believing Mary and Joseph changed their plans when Christ came along. I’ve known many a priest who hold to that. But that’s beside the point, which is you can’t use Mary’s question to prove she took a vow prior to Gabriel’s visit.

Last edited:
She teaches Mary never did. No one is prevented from believing Mary and Joseph changed their plans when Christ came along.
No evidence that they ever planned on having different plans. No evidence that they changed plans.
I’ve known many a priest who hold to that. But that’s beside the point, which is you can’t use Mary’s question to prove she took a vow prior to Gabriel’s visit.
I have known many priest that uphold that she made a vow. You can’t dismiss Mary’s vow to mean nothing especially under the circumstances that she was a married woman who if she did not have a vow should have been expecting to have children with Joseph. Since Gabriel told her it was a future event that would be the normal expectation. The question Mary asks belies any explanation that it was normal question.

Last edited:
No evidence that they ever planned on having different plans. No evidence that they changed plans.
Yeah. Pious speculation on both opinions.
You can’t dismiss Mary’s vow to mean nothing especially under the circumstances that she was a married woman
I’m sure any woman who is virgin and has yet to enter her bethrothed’s home would ask that question. And we have no proof from Luke to substantiate that she took a vow prior to Gabriel.

Yeah. Pious speculation on both opinions.
You stated an opinion which has no evidence so you are speaking of yourself right? You were just speculating without proof?
I’m sure any woman who is virgin and has yet to enter her bethrothed’s home would ask that question. And we have no proof from Luke to substantiate that she took a vow prior to Gabriel
No woman who was married would ask such a stupid question. We have proof of the question itself. You keep forgetting that Gabriel spoke of a future event. Any married woman who was visited by an Angel and was told that in the future she would have a baby would assume it would be with her husband.

According to you.
Nice come back. You keep ignoring that the Gabriel spoke a future event. Mary would have thought it would be the second part of marriage but instead she ask a stupid question. NOT! She was asking since she vowed never to know a man.
The Homily of St. Gregory mid 200s
  1. The Virgin spake in turn unto the angel: My mind swims in thy words as in a sea. How shall this be unto me? for I desire not to know an earthly man, because I have devoted myself to the heavenly Bridegroom. I desire to remain a virgin. I wish not to betray the honour of my virginity.

Last edited:
This is the part that creeps out non-Catholics. Truly, what difference does it make? Why the fixation on virginity? Such a private matter between a couple. Why the obsession with it?

Except in this case the woman was only betrothed. So not so stupid now is it?
Even if I equate bethrothed to engaged, if I knew I’d be married within a year and was told I’d have a child, I’d assume the child would be conceived after we were married if I was planning on consummating the marriage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back