What to do?

• Thread starter Thread starter NWUArmyROTC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NWUArmyROTC

My Church (University Catholic Center) has a number of rather Heterodox goings on, including abuses in the liturgy, etc.

I have talked to the Director (a Priest) a few times expressing my concerns, yet nothing has happened, in fact, probably getting worse.

Here are some of the problems:

The Holy Spirit is refered to as “She” in the intentions – while grammatically correct with Sophia, it does not follow proper guidelines.

Recently had a speaker in praise of "She Who Is: Feminine Perspectives on God (???) by Sr. Johnson who signed the Magdalen Manifesto.

Pastoral Associate (woman) giving the homily at Pentecost (contradicitng new document from the Vatican).

Brochures for groups of Heterdox opinion found throughout the Church/Center, Sophia Seminar, CTA, etc.

On Good Friday the Passion reading was altered, with additions from Leviticus (making John less anti-semetic), subtractions from the reading, and rewriting of other passages.

When Orthodox speakers are present at the Center (recent one on Homosexuality), complaints from staff member that it was not properly nuanced.

Suggestions on what I should do?

God Bless

It sounds as if this University Center is thoroughly soaked in error and disobedience, and you may not be able to do anything about it. In your place, I would probably find another parish off campus to attend, then let the University Center folks know that you are leaving and your reasons why. If they see that they are losing people, it may at some point strike a chord with them. Maybe not. In any case, do pray for them.

Betsy

Not one question/situation that you presented is worse than the other. They ALL are just as bad, because they are all interconnected! :eek: :eek:

I would just get people that you know who attend this ‘church?’ and show your friends what the Church really teaches. OR I would suggest if you can get a hold of Karl and the staff at CA. It would be nice to hear the suggestion that you would get on the radio program.

We have a group here in Cleveland, called Future Church. They are NOT the Future and they are NOT the church! This group here sounds like the group there. ‘the whole feminine language’.

Go woth God!
Edwin

Father Mitch Pacwa has recently published a book titled Forgive Me Father for I am Frustrated. I highly recommend it. In this book, Father Pacwa gives solid advice for those of us who are heartbroken at the lack of reverence, truth and fidelity we sometimes witness. He recommends a great deal of prayer, research and self-examination as part of the process. In the past, when I’ve followed this advice, regardless of the outcome, I was at peace that I had acted properly.

First talk to the pastor and ask him if he is aware of the abuses. If he doesn’t care or undo the abuses, you should contact the local bishop’s office and explain the abuses. Given the gravity of the abuses you describe, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to let the bishop know that you will also make the issue public on EWTN (naming the Church in question) and in the local diocesan newspaper, and if necessary, will contact the Holy See if the abuse continues. Finally, if no satisfaction is forthcoming, I’d find a true Catholic Church or parish to attend and thus would take my donations elsewhere. Regarding any archbishop’s appeals, I would let them know in no uncertain terms that I will not donate unless this and similar abuses in the archdiosese are remedied. I had an experience where a new monsignor came to my parish and among the first things he did was to solicit $1.5 million in funds for a wreckovation of a beautiful Church that had been built with the money and labor of immigrants. In response to my inquiry, the solicitors who called me claimed that the wreckovation was sanctioned by Vatican II but couldn’t point to anything specific. I informed the solicitors that I would not donate for what I believed was a wasteful and even sacreligious cause and instead would donate to EWTN. I also left the parish. If enough people walk and take their money with them, the local bishops will have to get the message.

Regarding your poll, each of the abuses are intolerable and require courageous intercession

40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
The Holy Spirit is refered to as “She” in the intentions – while grammatically correct with Sophia, it does not follow proper guidelines.

Pastoral Associate (woman) giving the homily at Pentecost (contradicitng new document from the Vatican).
Interesting, so a “she” came upon Mary and our Lord was conceived. Does your church bless homosexual “unions” too?

I feel your pain. At our church, our lay Pastorial Associate gives the Homily every other week while our Pastor sits on the altar. She also goes through great pains to eliminate any gender reference in scripture, hymns, psalms, and church decorations (heterodoxy is a new word to me, I think this is what it means?)

My wife and I have been apathetic until very recently, when I realized if we don’t fight for what is right, no one else will either.

We thought about leaving the parish, but its OUR PARISH! We have 12 years invested in this parish! Besides, what do we do when the next church starts the same abuses? Drive 50 miles to attend mass somewhere else?

People, we have to fight for what is right! We will be ostracized (persecuted?) but if our Faith is strong we will perservere.

What to do? Pray first, then act. Most important: BE NOT AFRAID!

Good Luck!

Quote:
<Orignally post by tcaseyrochester>
I feel your pain. At our church, our lay Pastorial Associate gives the Homily every other week while our Pastor sits on the altar. She also goes through great pains to eliminate any gender reference in scripture, hymns, psalms, and church decorations (heterodoxy is a new word to me, I think this is what it means?)

I didn’t think anyone except a priest or deacon was allowed to give a homily and certainly not a woman!!! Annunciata

(I don’t know if I did this correctly…cutting and pasting?)

40.png
tcaseyrochester:
(heterodoxy is a new word to me, I think this is what it means?)
Heterodoxy is the opposite of orthodoxy, but I like the way you think!

Betsy

Yeah, I know what you mean, mainly because we go to the same place and have the same problems :-).

But seriously, these things all bother me too, but there’s not a whole lot I can do about it. I don’t want to get our unnamed priest fired or moved because I like him too much. I enjoy the community and such too much to go somewhere else for mass. I think all we can do is make our voices heard and pray for the community. It’s too special to be torn down by these unorthodox beliefs and teachings.

:crying: It makes me want to cry to see such heresy in the Church. These priest who allow such errors are leading those entrusted to them astray. God have mercy! They really need our prayers that they see the error and disgrace to the Body of Christ.

Please get in touch with the Bishop of the Diocese and report these abuses.

DigitalDeacon

I reported complaints similiar to the Diocese that my son’s University parish falls under. They basically kicked it back to me and told me to discuss it with the Priest. So that is who you need to talk to first. Request and appointment with the Pastor and get all your documentation ready.

Dianne

I’ve definitely talked to the priest, and I realize he is in a bind because the church, while for students, has a rather large associate (think non-university connected people) population who tend to the Theological liberal end of the spectrum. And, sadly, the Associates account for most of the financial backing of the center, the archdiocese provides little funding. Which means the priest is caught between a rock and a hard place, not an enviable place to be. So, I’ve talked to him, but nothing has happened, it has almost gotten worse.

40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
I’ve definitely talked to the priest, and I realize he is in a bind because the church, while for students, has a rather large associate (think non-university connected people) population who tend to the Theological liberal end of the spectrum.
Remember, there is not a ‘conservative’ or ‘liberal’ spectrum in the Church. There is the authentic and the not authentic. The abuses you speak of are certainly not authentic.
And, sadly, the Associates account for most of the financial backing of the center, the archdiocese provides little funding. Which means the priest is caught between a rock and a hard place, not an enviable place to be.
Well, I think your priest is doing a tremendous disservice to the real One he is responsible to and to whom he serves and who has called him to be His priest. With this type of heresy, the priest/bishop (IMO) should close the parish ASAP if they are being essentially blackmailed by whatever financial source they have.

40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
Does “Sophia” even refer to the Holy Spirit? The Hagia Sophia, the great Church of the Holy Wisdom in Constantinople, wasn’t named for the Holy Spirit but for Christ Himself.

Anyway, “grammatically correct” or no, “guidelines” or no, calling the Holy Spirit “She” is blasphemy! Consider what it says about Our Lady, who is the Spouse of the Holy Spirit!

If you have talked to your priest about these problems already, the next step is to denounce them to your bishop.

40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
My Church (University Catholic Center) has a number of rather Heterodox goings on, including abuses in the liturgy, etc.
I have talked to the Director (a Priest) a few times expressing my concerns, yet nothing has happened, in fact, probably getting worse.

Here are some of the problems:

Recently had a speaker in praise of "She Who Is: Feminine Perspectives on God (???) by Sr. Johnson who signed the Magdalen Manifesto.

Brochures for groups of Heterdox opinion found throughout the Church/Center, Sophia Seminar, CTA, etc.

On Good Friday the Passion reading was altered, with additions from Leviticus (making John less anti-semetic), subtractions from the reading, and rewriting of other passages.

When Orthodox speakers are present at the Center (recent one on Homosexuality), complaints from staff member that it was not properly nuanced.

Suggestions on what I should do?

God Bless
This is not good. I would find another place to attend Mass and encourage your friends to follow suit.

40.png
NWUArmyROTC:
I’ve definitely talked to the priest, and I realize he is in a bind because the church, while for students, has a rather large associate (think non-university connected people) population who tend to the Theological liberal end of the spectrum. And, sadly, the Associates account for most of the financial backing of the center, the archdiocese provides little funding. Which means the priest is caught between a rock and a hard place, not an enviable place to be. So, I’ve talked to him, but nothing has happened, it has almost gotten worse.
Ahhh, bad problem. The same sorts of things happen in my neck of the woods with Newman Centers. The liberals hang out there.

40.png
Eisenhower:
Yeah, I know what you mean, mainly because we go to the same place and have the same problems :-).

But seriously, these things all bother me too, but there’s not a whole lot I can do about it. I don’t want to get our unnamed priest fired or moved because I like him too much. I enjoy the community and such too much to go somewhere else for mass. I think all we can do is make our voices heard and pray for the community. It’s too special to be torn down by these unorthodox beliefs and teachings.
Oh no, I’ve compromised my secret identity, to the batcave!

Seriously, if I didn’t agree with everything you said, I’d be long gone. Where else would anyone put up with my shoddy piano playing???

I saw the poll but didn’t answer because there wasn’t an all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back