What to do?

• Thread starter Thread starter NWUArmyROTC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really want to do something you could contact the St. Joseph Foundation. They can take you step by step in addressing these abuses throught the proper channels which start with the offending priest then the bishop.

40.png
Seatuck:
I reported complaints similiar to the Diocese that my son’s University parish falls under. They basically kicked it back to me and told me to discuss it with the Priest. So that is who you need to talk to first. Request and appointment with the Pastor and get all your documentation ready.

Dianne
The Vatican has made it clear on how to report abuses. Why do people prefer to complain among themselves rather than report the abuses in the manner described by the Vatican?

See zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=52462
(Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum on certain matters to be observed or to be avoided regarding the Most Holy Eucharist )
Scroll down to the section (I only quote part of it here)
“6. Complaints Regarding Abuses in Liturgical Matters”

[184.] Any Catholic, whether Priest or Deacon or lay member of Christ’s faithful, has the right to lodge a complaint regarding a liturgical abuse
to the diocesan Bishop or the competent Ordinary equivalent to him in law,
or to the Apostolic See on account of the primacy of the Roman Pontiff.[290] It is fitting, however, insofar as possible, that the report or complaint be submitted first to the diocesan Bishop. This is naturally to be done in truth and charity. "

I agree with all those before me who have suggested writing the Bishop-- after taking the issues to the priest. Based on personal experience I am fairly confident speaking with the priest will do little or no good, but it is the “chain of command.” If necessary take it to Rome. Although the laity has always had the option of appealing to the Vatican, the Holy Father reminded us of this in Redemptionis Sacramentum. I have also written Cardinal Ratzinger the Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. This was concerning an article in a periodical claiming the name “Catholic” while totally distorting the teachings of the Church. When doing this consider sending a copy of the letter sent the person below them in the sequence. Will any of this help? Who knows, but at least we will know we tried.

Many years ago I was taught one letter written on a particular topic to someone like your senator, congressman, bishop, etc. represented the view of 10,000 people. Meaning although 10,000 felt as you did only one citizen would take the time and trouble to write… Therefore when these Letters were received they were not viewed in a vacuum. Is this true today? I do not know, but would guess there is still some correlation and the link is likely known by those we write.

Please do not forget the other side of the coin. Write the Bishops Burke, Chaput, et al and thank them for their faithful service to God’s Holy Church, and their courageous defense of the faith. I can only imagine how “out there” they are made to feel by clergy and lay people alike.

I would also have to answer “all of the above”.

Thank you Elizabeth for the book recomendation, I have never
heard of that one.

Donna Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back