You don’t seem to quote any of your sources though.
I’m not making the claims. The best source on the Spanish Inquisition is probably Henry Kamen
(The Spanish Inquisition). He’s the source for the 2,000 figure, I believe. For the medieval stuff you have to look at a number of sources. The most recent relevant work I’ve looked at was Jeremy Cohen’s *The Friars and the Jews, *which talks about how the Inquisition persecuted the Jews in the Middle Ages. But I am not offering an estimate of how many people were killed in the medieval Inquisitions. You are. So you need to give a *credible *source.
If you want to hear it from an ex catholic priest go to
bereanbeacon.org. He’ll tell you all about it.
Did he live in the 13th century? If not, why does being an ex-Catholic priest qualify him in any way? Having been a Catholic priest probably means that he is bitter and biased and incapable of being fair or accurate. I don’t put a lot of stock in ex-anythings to tell me about their former faith (you can look at my posts on the Mitt Romney thread to see that I apply this across the board!). I’m not saying that a former Catholic can’t have valid things to say, but the fact that they used to be a Catholic makes them less, not more, likely to be fair and accurate.
Halleys Bible commentary is a pretty well accepted book.
Accepted by whom? Accepted as an authority on medieval history?
You can get the Halley’s at any Christian Bookstore
Including Catholic bookstores? Of course I know that what you meant was “Christian Bookstore,” which is a particular kind of Christian bookstore and hardly the best place to get accurate books on history.
You are pressing poor Rev. Halley into service for a purpose he did not intend. He was trying to give basic info on the Bible as he knew it. This is not an authoritative source for medieval history, period. Clearly he was simply repeating an older, 19th-century figure common among polemical anti-Catholic church historians.
Or are you of the school of people that say the Holocaust didn’t happen either.
That’s a piece of insulting irrelevance. Almost all students of the period think the Holocaust happened. No modern scholar as far as I know thinks that the figure of millions is accurate for the Inquisition. All you have been able to cite so far are 19th-century Protestant historians whose work was basically propaganda (most church history at that point was propaganda, though there were some honorable exceptions). If what you were saying had any basis, you could find modern historians who repeated it. Your sources stop with the 19th century (as far as anything remotely approaching serious history goes) because later historians disproved these figures.
Furthermore, we have abundance of direct evidence for the Holocaust. We can visit the sites where these things happened. We can still talk to people who actually experienced these horrible events.
You have no such evidence for your exaggerated claims of medieval atrocities. Nothing but outdated propaganda.
I quoted Plaisted, which you can look up online.
And I did, and I told you what I found–simply a string of 19th-century sources all repeating the same propagandistic line.
I gave you a website of a Catholic Priest.
Currently active as a Catholic priest? If so, I missed that one!
You can’t seriously believe that just because something is written in a book therefore it must be true!
I want a credible historical source. Preferably a credentialed historian writing in the past 50 years or so and specializing in the period in question. I’d accept an older source that had clearly done a careful study of the primary sources and was not overly biased, and I’d accept a more general source that could be presumed to have used good secondary sources.