What was the Inquisition?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrs_abbott
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
tektonics.org/qt/spaninq.html

Learn yourself, for the better of all mankind.
The second is to note that, uncomfortable as it may seem, the Inquisition could not have lasted 400 years without popular support. Perhaps the people of Spain were motivated to look for the enemy within by their numerous enemies without.
“Kamen [K60, 203] notes that, ‘Taking into account all the tribunals of Spain up to about 1530, it is unlikely that more than two thousand people were executed for heresy by the Inquisition…for most of its existence that Inquisition was far from being a juggernaut of death either in intention or in capability.’”
A comment from a “B. H. Manners” followed about his own personal experiences in the Church of Christ which had nothing directly to do with the Inquisition. Then B. H. posted:
Ask JP this:“Are you saying that the Inquisition, at least in principle, is Biblically justified despite the occurrences during the Middle Ages?”
No. Replace the word “Biblically” with “socially” and end the sentence at “justified”. Next? There were side comments that didn’t address the topic for the next couple, then little Stevie dropped in, after apparently still not being able to write Rohrbaugh a letter telling him how ignorant he is, and asked, “OK, why would the God of love order Canaanite babies to be exterminated?” Heck, Stevie, you’ve seen the answer. Now hop on it. Stevie was still a little p.o.'d, though, and kept on, quoting me:
‘The CC moreover believed that the eternal soul’s fate was of more importance than the body – which runs as a match to what we have observed elsewhere that the short-term destruction of peoples like the Amalekites and Canaanites are understandable in light of the long-term goals of social survival for people as a whole. To the Inquisitors, a few moments of pain on earth was a necessary price for saving someone from eternal torment. Skeptics may claim that their priorities were wrong, but they can’t fault them as much for their motives (though again, system abuses in plenty also took place).’
You have to understand the mindset of the Medieval man, to them the danger of evil was grave. And sin and purity were two important aspects of their lives, they sincerly thought they would be damned through contact with heresy, etc etc.
They didn’t think like we do, understand that.
 
I can see that I provided those informative links on the Inquistions in post #2 to no effect.

sigh.:nope:
I couldn’t open ANY of them. I tried so I was left sifting through everyone’s posts trying to understand. 😦
 
I couldn’t open ANY of them. I tried so I was left sifting through everyone’s posts trying to understand. 😦
Perhaps you should use a different browser or get technical help. Being able to open links shouldn’t be an optional fearture. 😃

In the mean time, you may try cutting and pasting addresses into your browser.
 
Perhaps you should use a different browser or get technical help. Being able to open links shouldn’t be an optional fearture. 😃

In the mean time, you may try cutting and pasting addresses into your browser.
Did that. I might add that I am at work so I think THEY are the ones having technical difficulties. 😛
Granted, I have isssues with technology myself but I’m not usually THAT bad. 😃
 
Did that. I might add that I am at work so I think THEY are the ones having technical difficulties. 😛
Granted, I have isssues with technology myself but I’m not usually THAT bad. 😃
Ah, it may be a firewall issue. I suppose you could view them at home or at a library PC, or you could Google the web addresses and hope that Google has a cached version of the page as a way to circumvent the firewall.
 
tektonics.org/qt/spaninq.html

Learn yourself, for the better of all mankind.

You have to understand the mindset of the Medieval man, to them the danger of evil was grave. And sin and purity were two important aspects of their lives, they sincerly thought they would be damned through contact with heresy, etc etc.
They didn’t think like we do, understand that.
Furthermore, that Richard Benetts laughable claim that as many as 50 million died in the Inquisition shows he has absolutely no grasp on history whatsoever. The Population in those areas were not even that high…so that many people could not have died.
 
I guess he was taught it when he was a catholic priest for 30 years or so.
You guess. Hmm. IOW, there is no basis for the claims advanced by Bennett and endlessly parrotted by you. Given the fact that Bennett lies so cavalierly about Catholic history, doctrine, and practice, it seems absolutely reasonable to doubt even his claims to have been ever really been an ordained priest.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
I guess he was taught it when he was a catholic priest for 30 years or so.
I guess he learned wrong then. lol

It just goes to show that each individual priest isn’t infallible, (or even smart for that matter.) :rolleyes:
 
It just goes to show that each individual priest isn’t infallible, (or even smart for that matter.) :rolleyes:
But that only applies to non-ex-priests. Ex-priests, especially those that now rant under the name of “evangelical,” are always impeccably knowledgeable, smart, and trustworthy.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
But that only applies to non-ex-priests. Ex-priests, especially those that now rant under the name of “evangelical,” are always impeccably knowledgeable, smart, and trustworthy.

– Mark L. Chance.
Oh yeah, I forgot. :rolleyes:
 
You guess. Hmm. IOW, there is no basis for the claims advanced by Bennett and endlessly parrotted by you. Given the fact that Bennett lies so cavalierly about Catholic history, doctrine, and practice, it seems absolutely reasonable to doubt even his claims to have been ever really been an ordained priest.

– Mark L. Chance.
You could also look up:David A Plaisted “Estimates of the number killed by the papacy in the middle ages and later”
There are quotes from various books that concur with the priest.
Or we could just say ‘It’s all a myth’
Or we could say"Whoever MIGHT have been tortured or killed deserved it. They were all bad"
 
You could also look up:David A Plaisted “Estimates of the number killed by the papacy in the middle ages and later”
There are quotes from various books that concur with the priest.
Which only just proves that liars quote liars who agree with them.
Or we could just say ‘It’s all a myth’
Or we could say"Whoever MIGHT have been tortured or killed deserved it. They were all bad"
Or, we could just go for the option you obstinately reject; we could say the truth.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
You guess. Hmm. IOW, there is no basis for the claims advanced by Bennett and endlessly parrotted by you. Given the fact that Bennett lies so cavalierly about Catholic history, doctrine, and practice, it seems absolutely reasonable to doubt even his claims to have been ever really been an ordained priest.

– Mark L. Chance.
He has also written a couple of books with testimony from dozens of ex-nuns and ex-priests that have left Catholicism and found God.
I guess they are all anti Catholic lies also?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top