T
theUnknown2
Guest
Hello,
My wife and I have been married for almost 4 years and we’ve been living in happiness due to mutual respect and love. Recently, however, an event occurred in our life that threatened our happiness. The story is lengthy so please bear with me as I attempt to illustrate below.
My youngest sister (which I will refer to as sister #10, she’s actually the 10th sibling in the family) graduated from college a few years ago. Shortly after graduation she found a job. Unfortunately, she became very ill soon after therefore had to abandon her job. Having no income, she’s been living with sister #3 who supported her financially since. Sister #3 is recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety and a bunch of other conditions… her health is failing. She told sister #2 that she’s contemplating early retirement but is concerned that she wouldn’t be able to support sister #10 with her very small early pension. But she just couldn’t work with the pain and has to go to emergency room from time to time. Sister #2 suggested that all siblings contribute with whatever amount they could afford to help out. that way sister #3 could retire early.
I feel that it’s the right thing to do. So i discussed with my wife about contributing $200 per month. She showed reluctance by suggesting we make sister #10 get a job or other siblings should contribute but not us. I explained to her that sister #10 can’t work because of her illness and it would be fair to every sibling that we all contribute. Besides, we both make decent white-collar salary and are relatively debt-free (other than the monthly mortgage). We have a cash reserve for rainy days. I told her that I’d either get a second part-time job or skim some of my 401K retirement money to contribute. She didn’t like me working second job, but was ok with skimming my 401k money. so i proceeded with the plan.
A couple days ago, she asked if i had reduced my 401K monthly saving. I told her that i had and she became very upset. She said “You actually did it? that’s not fair for me to have to support your sister. How come no money goes to my side of the family. If you care that much about your family why don’t you go live with them.” She’s threatened to throw me out of her life. I told her that if her family needs our help, we would; and if it makes her feel any better then she could send the same amount to her family. But she would not listen.
I’ve been very sad that my unfortunate sister #10 is ill and sadder that sister #3 is too becoming ill. And now, i’m about to be thrown out by my wife.
My question to you is “What would you do if you were me?”. I couldn’t turn my back on a family member in need. that’s immoral.
thank you for your time.
My wife and I have been married for almost 4 years and we’ve been living in happiness due to mutual respect and love. Recently, however, an event occurred in our life that threatened our happiness. The story is lengthy so please bear with me as I attempt to illustrate below.
My youngest sister (which I will refer to as sister #10, she’s actually the 10th sibling in the family) graduated from college a few years ago. Shortly after graduation she found a job. Unfortunately, she became very ill soon after therefore had to abandon her job. Having no income, she’s been living with sister #3 who supported her financially since. Sister #3 is recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, anxiety and a bunch of other conditions… her health is failing. She told sister #2 that she’s contemplating early retirement but is concerned that she wouldn’t be able to support sister #10 with her very small early pension. But she just couldn’t work with the pain and has to go to emergency room from time to time. Sister #2 suggested that all siblings contribute with whatever amount they could afford to help out. that way sister #3 could retire early.
I feel that it’s the right thing to do. So i discussed with my wife about contributing $200 per month. She showed reluctance by suggesting we make sister #10 get a job or other siblings should contribute but not us. I explained to her that sister #10 can’t work because of her illness and it would be fair to every sibling that we all contribute. Besides, we both make decent white-collar salary and are relatively debt-free (other than the monthly mortgage). We have a cash reserve for rainy days. I told her that I’d either get a second part-time job or skim some of my 401K retirement money to contribute. She didn’t like me working second job, but was ok with skimming my 401k money. so i proceeded with the plan.
A couple days ago, she asked if i had reduced my 401K monthly saving. I told her that i had and she became very upset. She said “You actually did it? that’s not fair for me to have to support your sister. How come no money goes to my side of the family. If you care that much about your family why don’t you go live with them.” She’s threatened to throw me out of her life. I told her that if her family needs our help, we would; and if it makes her feel any better then she could send the same amount to her family. But she would not listen.
I’ve been very sad that my unfortunate sister #10 is ill and sadder that sister #3 is too becoming ill. And now, i’m about to be thrown out by my wife.
My question to you is “What would you do if you were me?”. I couldn’t turn my back on a family member in need. that’s immoral.
thank you for your time.