What's in Your Reading Stack Right Now?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Strategery
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
waiting for the book store to call me when my copy of Reasons to Believe is finally delivered. It’s been out of stock. Need a new book, winter is very long in northern Minnesota:snowing:
Agreed! Yuck!

Whilst freezing to death, I have read (in the last week):
  1. William P. Young’s The Shack: A good book though I might nitpick with it theologically, the ending is uplifting and it was a nice, feel-good read. I’d recommend it, just not in place of a theological text or anything.
  2. Dan Brown’s Deception Point: Not sure if there are any die-hard anti-Brown people around here, but I have to admit that he writes a good thriller (I’ve read all 4 of his books now), This was a fun, political thriller and surprisingly clean for a modern novel.
  3. Robert M. Pirsig’s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values. A friend bought me this for my birthday. Surprisingly, the book has nothing to do with zen Buddhism and only a little to do with motorcycle maintenance (for those so inclined). Moreso, it is the musings of a man confused by seemingly meaningless modern complexities yearning for simplicity (hence, the “zen”) that he finds out on the open road. A really good read.
  4. Emily Brontë’s Wuthering Heights. Ahh… Heathcliffe and Catherine. A classic tragedy written by a young author. This is my second time through it (Yes, it REALLY is that cold in Minnesota!) and it only gets better once you realize how young the author actually was when she wrote this. It was terribly for me to admit that I liked this book in my tomboy days, I might note!
Upon further reflection, I hope this topic wasn’t purely about Catholic-related books. I do read those too - but I was attempting to inject a little variety. To prove I’m not remiss, however, I might suggest Consecration to Mary: St. Louis De Montfort’s True Devotion.
 
Upon further reflection, I hope this topic wasn’t purely about Catholic-related books. I do read those too - but I was attempting to inject a little variety. To prove I’m not remiss, however, I might suggest Consecration to Mary: St. Louis De Montfort’s True Devotion.
Well as the OPer I can say … no big deal. I did have spiritual books in mind, but I didn’t say so. There’s a lot of great info in here.
 
made a B&N run yesterday, first time in months (I am not even a member anymore). I used to get to a bookstore, Borders or independent with every paycheck, and come home loaded with mysteries and history books and puzzles. Now 4 times a year would be a lot. For one thing I simply can’t afford to buy books the way I used to, and my reading habits have changed. I can’t follow a thick novel with a complicated plot (I could not even follow the remake of Dr. Zhivago on the Ovation miniseries).

For another, the settings and characters of most current mystery series are increasing obnoxious as they compete in the PC arena (lesbian cat-owners who cook, do needlework or excel in some other crafts are the current requirements for paperback detectives.) For a third fewer than 5% of new books in the history section are written by anyone with the most elemental qualifications to write and expound on their topics.

For another reason, a lot of my book-buying in the past has been for research purposes and I can do it faster and cheaper on the internet, at least narrowing down sources that will be helpful, rather than wasting money on books that prove to be worthless.

I went through a period where I had a mile-high stack of spiritual and scripture books by my chair, but that has changed to. With more experience I have found a small selection of reliable authors and publishers, so I waste less time and money in this area as well. To be honest the books I now read with a religious content are almost always those I am reading to prepare to teach CCD, RCIA, parents, catechists or another adult ed course.

For my own spiritual benefit my reading is almost exclusively scripture, with devotional commentaries, and lectio divina.

current leisure reading is intensive research on diabetes and heart disease and treatments (for which by the way there is no consensus among experts). I am reviewing cookbooks and cooking magazines and sites and building a new recipe cardfile to meet my new requirements.
 
I’m replying to bump this up for the person who asked about spiritual reading. There are some great suggestions in this list.

My stack right now:

Just Finished: Seven Secrets of the Eucharist, Vinny Flynn

Reading: Introduction to the Devout Life, St. Francis de Sales

Next: The Imitation of Christ, Thomas Kempis
 
Just curious.

It seems like I’m always reading two or three books at a time, and have a stack of books waiting. My personal stack is short, so I’m looking to fill it.

In progress:
  1. St. John’s Gospel, Steven Ray. I use this to lead my weekly bible study, we’re at John 10.
  2. The Gospel of John, William Barclay. Same purpose as #1.
  3. Onward Catholic Soldier: Spiritual warfare according to Scriptures, the Church and the Saints. John LaBriola.
Just finished:
  1. Unbound: A Practical Guide to Deliverance From Evil Spirits. Neal Lozano.
  2. Angels. Peter Kreeft.
My stack: EMPTY!!!
  1. True Devotion to Mary - St. Louis de Montfort
  2. This is the Faith - Canon Francis Ripley
  3. Bible in German
  4. The Young Man’s Guide - Fr. Lasance
 
“Acedia and Me” by Kathleen Norris
“Jonathan Edwards: A Life” by George Marsden
“Contours of the Old Testament” by Bernhard Anderson
“Ezekial” by Joseph Blenkinsopp (Interpretation Bible Commentaries)
“The Stored Tissue Issue: Biomedical Research, Ethics, and Law in the Era of Genomic Medicine” by Robert Weir and Robert Olick
“The Stream and the Sapphire: Selected Poems on Religious Themes” by Denise Levertov
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top