What's Up With The ND Theology Department?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ltcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
ansel123:
Just to play along with your website game, here are a few:

progressive.com - is this insurance company anti-Church? Or is it just trying to help advance society’s response to risk-prone activities. 🙂
Actually, the owner/CEO of the company, Peter Lewis, contributed quite heavily to MoveOn.org, the leftist website.
ccstl.org/statements/ - Catholic Charities in St. Louis is fighting for “progressive welfare policies for Missouri that assist people in reaching their full capacity.” Are they anti-Church or leftie?
Not familiar with them but hopefully just leftie…
And I would point out that that ppionline.org is actually the homepage of the centrist Democrats. I think some of them actually reject the culture of death. So that isn’t a good example of your use of the word progressive.
Hmmm, further research is needed here. They have several articles by Barbara Dafoe Whitehead whom I greatly admire…
Pope Paul VI uses the word “progressive” to talk about the nature of peace.
Perhaps the “progressives” hadn’t hijacked the word yet. 😛 And back then, perhaps gay still meant happy.

Pax Christi y’all from Hoosierland!

Hmmmmm…

What do the Holy Scriptures say about being “progressive”? (2 John)

7 Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh; such is the deceitful one and the antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves that you do not lose what we worked for but may receive a full recompense. 9 Anyone who is so “progressive” as not to remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God; whoever remains in the teaching has the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him in your house or even greet him; 11 for whoever greets him shares in his evil works.
WOW! How 'bout that verse 9???

Love thee ND (now if we can just get that theology department turned around!).

40.png
Kevirish01:
Pax Christi y’all from Hoosierland!

Hmmmmm…

What do the Holy Scriptures say about being “progressive”? (2 John)

7 Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh; such is the deceitful one and the antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves that you do not lose what we worked for but may receive a full recompense. 9 Anyone who is **so **“progressive” as not to remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God; whoever remains in the teaching has the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him in your house or even greet him; 11 for whoever greets him shares in his evil works.
WOW! How 'bout that verse 9???

Love thee ND (now if we can just get that theology department turned around!).
That’s a good verse. So basically it says we can be progressive as long as we are not SO progressive that we are not in the teaching of Christ.

As an aside, I would be interested in knowing why progressive is in quotes, what the original Greek word was, and what the understanding of the original word was in early times.

I worry very much that Ratzinger’s papacy will create a reactionary climate that may threaten academic freedom at Catholic universities, and render the Church increasingly inhospitable for faithful, but progressive voices within the Church.
Anonymous, Notre Dame, IN
*This is troubling in many aspects. *****

40.png
ansel123:
That’s a good verse. So basically it says we can be progressive as long as we are not SO progressive that we are not in the teaching of Christ.

As an aside, I would be interested in knowing why progressive is in quotes, what the original Greek word was, and what the understanding of the original word was in early times.
The footnote in the Catholic Study Bible (NAB - Oxford) says that the literal translation was “anyone who goes ahead.” The commentary states that this was a rebuke to the Gnostic belief that one could abandon the doctrine that Christ came in flesh after progressing to a spiritual knowledge of Christ. So I guess John is saying that we should progress in our knowledge of Christ, but not abandon any part of the complete doctrine of Christ.

Thanks again for the quote. I love going back and learning what was going in the early Church.

ansel123,

The scary thing is my own bishop (will not say which one, or which diocese) told a priest-friend of mine that “…we are a ‘progressive’ diocese.”

Hmmmmmm…

Yeah, as long as you don’t “progress” right out of communion with Rome.

May I surmise “progress” may also impy an authentic “development of custom” as long as those “customs” do not go against anything handed down to the faithful proposed for assent in the matters of faith, morals, liturgy, and discipline?

(see CCC 892, 2307, and 2518) I just LOVE that catechism!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back