What's up with the One eyed gesture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ElectricBlue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a GOOGLE web search with the term “The Eye Of Horus gesture”. Lots of contradictory opinions. I myself have not seen this gesture in my area, but if I ever do, I’ll ask trhe person as to what they mean with that gesture. :confused:
 
If you look back in the OP, he said, “or making the a-ok sign over one or both eyes.”
Personally, I’d like to think anyone who does it is aspiring to be like JPII. 🙂

But seriously, to the OP, given that the Pope did it, I’m sure it’s nothing serious.
I don’t feel comfortable accepting something as ok simply because the Pope did it. As far as am aware the pope is only infallible on his pronouncements on faith and morals and stuff.

I know it could mean anything and I don’t think that the Pope meant anything evil by it but it perplexes me that so many in hollywood are seen doing it and I don’t know that they are Catholic and are just following the Pope. I don’t it in fact. But really I would just like to know if anyone here KNOWS what it means to these celebrities in particular that they are doing it all the time.

I know some of you think it’s trivial or even funny that I am asking this but I really am curious and would like to know if anyone has knowledge of what it means or can direct me to any explanation by people like Gaga or Justin Beiber or anyone else who has been making this gesture?

It think it has been getting popular because regular folks are posting images of themselves online doing the same thing on Facebook and there are so many theories about what it means. Why can’t I get a straight answer on this common gesture?
 
It think it has been getting popular because regular folks are posting images of themselves online doing the same thing on Facebook and there are so many theories about what it means. Why can’t I get a straight answer on this common gesture?
I do not think that you will be able to find an answer, because one does not necessarily exist. It’s like asking, “why do people wear so much red?” Maybe some people do it for some questionable reason – e.g. wear a certain red article of clothing because they are in a gang – but you obviously can’t generalize that to everyone. Maybe some people just like to cover their eye. Unless you can establish motive, then you cannot provide a “straight answer” because that would require all of eye-coverers to be on the same page.

Anyway, the fact that there is no straight answer means it probably does not matter anyway.
 
Well, it means nothing since as you pointed out lots of folks are doing it without any definitive definition of what it means. So, mindless mimicking of something they’ve seen.

Now, I’m sorry, I can’t take anything Lady Gaga does seriously. She’s always struck me as a female ‘Borat’. A comedian doing a ludicrous parody of all the female divas and instead of getting the joke, people took her seriously and she went with it.
 
Well, it means nothing since as you pointed out lots of folks are doing it without any definitive definition of what it means. So, mindless mimicking of something they’ve seen.

Now, I’m sorry, I can’t take anything Lady Gaga does seriously. She’s always struck me as a female ‘Borat’. A comedian doing a ludicrous parody of all the female divas and instead of getting the joke, people took her seriously and she went with it.
So you’re saying that it is possible that all these celebrities have simply copied something they have seen someone doing?

I’m not sure that explanation makes sense since the pictures I am talking about are not all candid photos taken by paparazzi and stuff. the celebs in question are featured on magazine covers covering one eye or on their album covers. the sign means nothing to me but that is not my question. I want to know what it means to them. surely the people who manage and advise these stars would be crafting their images to the public.
I think its safe to say that people look to stars as idols that they imitate. stars are vehicles used by commercial enterprizes to market their products to us consumers as well. that is a fact. so i cannot accept that the gesture is simply unimportant because there is no clear meaning attached to it by those who do it.

If for example, every so often while the US president was having his picture taken by the news media he would hold up his hand to his eye I don’t think it would be simply dismissed as unimportant by any stretch of imagination. there would be questions and i don’t see why he would not be expected to answer them. if it was a religious sign (like the sign of the cross) he was making then there would be alot of buzz around that.

I don’t agree that i should assume it is unimportant and just move on because no one else seems to care to ask.
 
So you’re saying that it is possible that all these celebrities have simply copied something they have seen someone doing?

I’m not sure that explanation makes sense since the pictures I am talking about are not all candid photos taken by paparazzi and stuff. the celebs in question are featured on magazine covers covering one eye or on their album covers. the sign means nothing to me but that is not my question. I want to know what it means to them. surely the people who manage and advise these stars would be crafting their images to the public.
I think its safe to say that people look to stars as idols that they imitate. stars are vehicles used by commercial enterprizes to market their products to us consumers as well. that is a fact. so i cannot accept that the gesture is simply unimportant because there is no clear meaning attached to it by those who do it.

If for example, every so often while the US president was having his picture taken by the news media he would hold up his hand to his eye I don’t think it would be simply dismissed as unimportant by any stretch of imagination. there would be questions and i don’t see why he would not be expected to answer them. if it was a religious sign (like the sign of the cross) he was making then there would be alot of buzz around that.

I don’t agree that i should assume it is unimportant and just move on because no one else seems to care to ask.
Hey again, ElectricBlue. Just to let ya know, I do understand where you’re coming from. I spent many years as a conspiracy fanatic, and so I went back to a few of my old haunts to find information on this considerably new trend. The best information I can glean is this: Someone already pointed out that it was related to the Eye of Horus. To be more specific, the most prevalent theory about it is that it is a mind control symbol. I’ll have to explain a little bit about what the “top” conspiracy theorists believe is going on. The argument is that the entertainment industry is run by the Illuminati, who seek to use it to distract and dumb down the population, to keep them more concerned with mindless entertainment than what’s going on around them. Further, they think they deliberately employ certain “symbols” to hypnotic effect. So, ultimately, my interpretation is that the use of these gestures you’re asking about is meant to be a form of mind control that subconsciously attracts people to worship these celebrities and the messages they convey (which are almost without exception hedonistic, spiritually destructive, and mind numbing.) I, myself, suspect something of the sort is going on, but ultimately, we can’t know. This is why I stopped dwelling on these things. It only leads to insatiable paranoia. What we can know is Christ, and we should focus on Him. Christ has already told us that the devil holds power of this world, and focusing on his machinations only gives him more. By the way, when I made the comment about all these celebrities aspiring to be like JPII, I meant that as a joke.
Anyway, hope this was helpful, and hope you are able to free yourself of any distress this may be causing you. Always trust in Jesus!

Yours in Christ,

Brian
 
I don’t agree that i should assume it is unimportant and just move on because no one else seems to care to ask.
A simple internet search proves plenty of people are asking. The thing with this thread is that you’re asking the wrong people. A Catholic forum with members who are generally not famous who don’t post these types of pictures isn’t the correct avenue. The large majority of us have no idea. Perhaps you should pose your question to someone who is actually performing the aforementioned action.
 
I would guess many of them are poking fun at the illuminati Hollywood conspiracy theories. It also draws attention to them and makes people talk about them as you can see.
 
Well…

*Horus, the son of Osiris and Isis was called ‘Horus who rules with two eyes’. His right eye was white and represented the sun: his left eye was black and represented the moon. According to the myth, Horus lost his left eye to his evil brother, Seth, who he fought to avenge Seth’s murder of Osiris. Seth tore out of the eye but lost the fight. The eye was reassembled by magic, by Thoth, the god of writing, the moon and magic. Horus presented his eye to Osiris, who experienced rebirth in the underworld.
*-Dictionary of the Occult

Historically, via extra-biblical Jewish texts and reversing the Egyptian bad guys’ account, the good guy, Noah’s son, Shem, put a rebel king, probably Nimrod, on trial for saying he was god. Nimrod is called a mighty hunter in the Bible, and Jewish interpretation puts a darker cast on this sportsman–he was a hunter of men. This could be the cannibal influence seen in some Egyptian records, a guy chomping on a human leg, etc.

Shem convicted him “by the strength of his tongue” i.e., by the power of his arguments. And his main argument was, if you are an immortal god, take the god test–let yourself be put to death and rise from the dead. This is one instance of Christ fulfilling the standards of every belief system, meeting every challenge. Shem had Nimrod put to death but he flunked the god test. Shem cut up his body into pieces and shipped them to the various centers of his cultus. Wifey tracks down the body parts and reconstructs the corpse. Central to the story is his missing phallus, not the eye element, so the “Eye of Horus” is likely a decadent derivation from a completely different influence/reference. More on that later…

Nimrod/Osiris’ wife, characterized as the goddess Isis, said, "He’s not dead. He lives on in our son, characterized as godlet Horus. Meanwhile, the people rebelled against Shem, and his strict religious discipline that probably included creation of the Great Pyramid as a memorial of the Great Flood (surrounding lagoon; and boat found buried at base) and as a reliquary for the bones of Adam, whose name means “red” and who was slated for burial in the red granite sarcophagus. “The sacred bones of Ra (Adam) are on the sacred boat of Nu (Noah).” Shem was despised as a relentless taskmaster.

The Jewish legend takes up here with Shem escaping Egypt with the bones of Adam which were first buried by him at Golgotha–the skull and bones at the base of crucifixes are Adams; then he moved them to Machpelah/Twin Caves, which Abraham purchased and where he wisely buried Sarah because he knew it was sacred ground.

The Eye of Horus as a symbol proper has a curlicue dropping down off the eye. This is actually an adaptation of the literal “eye” from Noah’s Ark’s stem and stern posts, the tops of the two “ringed bundles” having an eyelet and tassel at the top. The tassels were where anchor stones were cut off on landing. This was a huge symbol, the twin pillars of ancient temples, pagan and orthodox, including Solomon’s, and used by Freemasons, etc. Again, the profane adopt the sacred, often unwittingly, like Satanist LaVey adopting a Shem symbol as his Satanic image, the wild donkey god Set. The eye and tassel atop the “ringed bundles” are also the basis for the ankh, the Egyptian handled cross, a very orthodox symbol of authority. In short, the anti-God types adopt what are actually very orthodox symbols and have no idea where they came from.

Jews associate Melchizedek with Shem, or the school of Shem’s teaching, as the rebellion was so deadly that Melchizedek had to go undercover. There is an unbroken line of orthodoxy as Abraham knew and honored in presenting bread and wine for offering by this priest-king, a type of Jesus Christ. “Thou art a priest forever according to the Order of Melchizedek.” Melek-Tzedek means “King of Righteousness.” King of Kings, reign and rule in all hearts and minds, bodies and souls. Vanquish Your and our enemies for Your honor and glory, and preserve us unto Your abundant life to spend eternity praising and thanking You with the Heavenly Court. AMEN
 
So you’re saying that it is possible that all these celebrities have simply copied something they have seen someone doing?

I’m not sure that explanation makes sense since the pictures I am talking about are not all candid photos taken by paparazzi and stuff. the celebs in question are featured on magazine covers covering one eye or on their album covers. the sign means nothing to me but that is not my question. I want to know what it means to them. surely the people who manage and advise these stars would be crafting their images to the public.
I think its safe to say that people look to stars as idols that they imitate. stars are vehicles used by commercial enterprizes to market their products to us consumers as well. that is a fact. so i cannot accept that the gesture is simply unimportant because there is no clear meaning attached to it by those who do it.

If for example, every so often while the US president was having his picture taken by the news media he would hold up his hand to his eye I don’t think it would be simply dismissed as unimportant by any stretch of imagination. there would be questions and i don’t see why he would not be expected to answer them. if it was a religious sign (like the sign of the cross) he was making then there would be alot of buzz around that.

I don’t agree that i should assume it is unimportant and just move on because no one else seems to care to ask.
Yes, I’m saying the majority are simply copying something they’ve seen. I think you’ve raised an interesting question-- somebody started it, it came from somewhere. But for it to be a message it has to be understood. I.e. sender/receiver have to both understand. Since even an internet search shows multiple explanations and meanings it literally has no specific meaning. It doesn’t convey any message if even a diligent search can’t provide an explanation. It would be the same as putting four random letters on a T-shirt. It doesn’t convey a message although it may elicit a reaction.
 
Yes, I’m saying the majority are simply copying something they’ve seen. I think you’ve raised an interesting question-- somebody started it, it came from somewhere. But for it to be a message it has to be understood. I.e. sender/receiver have to both understand. Since even an internet search shows multiple explanations and meanings it literally has no specific meaning. It doesn’t convey any message if even a diligent search can’t provide an explanation. It would be the same as putting four random letters on a T-shirt. It doesn’t convey a message although it may elicit a reaction.
Understand that I’m not asserting this as fact, but possibility. You overlook the potential of occult activity in the media. If you think the occult isn’t real, you’re fooling yourself. I, personally, have witnessed its reality first hand (I was once an acquaintance of a practicing Thelemite.) “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled…” See my previous post for a more thorough explanation of my views.

Also, as Electric Blue noted, these aren’t candid pictures. They’re professionally choreographed shots, which implies the poses are directed. The celebrities themselves may or may not be totally unaware of its significance, if any at all. Again, this is speculation, and I don’t put full stock in it, but it doesn’t hurt to keep a vigilant eye out. Just, as I advised ElectricBlue, don’t dwell on it our allow it to become a source of anxiety.
 
So you’re saying that it is possible that all these celebrities have simply copied something they have seen someone doing?

I’m not sure that explanation makes sense since the pictures I am talking about are not all candid photos taken by paparazzi and stuff.
Why does that not mean that they were copying each other or doing something independently, because they thought it looked cool?
I want to know what it means to them. surely the people who manage and advise these stars would be crafting their images to the public.
Perhaps you would be better off asking them, then, not us. We could not possibly tell you what the celebrities or their managers are thinking.
I don’t agree that i should assume it is unimportant and just move on because no one else seems to care to ask.
Perhaps a better way of putting it is this: pick a given solution, and tell us what it is. Then let us know what effect it would have on you.
 
Why does that not mean that they were copying each other or doing something independently, because they thought it looked cool?

Perhaps you would be better off asking them, then, not us. We could not possibly tell you what the celebrities or their managers are thinking.

Perhaps a better way of putting it is this: pick a given solution, and tell us what it is. Then let us know what effect it would have on you.
I can’t seem to get an audience with any of these celebs unfortunately 🙂
But I agree if I could get an honest answer form one of them I would appreciate it. I just thought that since I usually get honest and educated views and answers on this forum that I could get more of an objective perspective on it and avaoid the views and ridicule of the celebrity fanatics on some of these entertainment websites I’ve seen.

I don’t know what effect it has on me or anyone else though. I know there have been studies like color psychology and the effect of subliminal messages on the emotions and stuff but I don’t know if they are related to this or not. It would be nice to know though.
 
I would say the probability of mind control here is 0%, given that they are hardly subliminal, and there is no science indicating that at all.

I agree. This could be widespread interest in the occult, or it could be a new fashion trend, like big hair or Ugg boots or whatever. I really would not worry about it, especially because no one can provide answers to questions of motive except the people whose motives in this case matter – celebrities.
 
I have seen the pope pic (which I love :p), but I have never seen that other gesture from the pictures in the OP. I guess that I, too, am out of the loop.

I wouldn’t spend a great deal of time thinking about it, though. Although there are certain postures (like bowing or kneeling) that have somewhat cross-cultural significance historically, many gestures are far from universal. It’s not like doing or viewing that gestures is going to involuntarily open one’s heart to demonic influences.

We can only really speculate as to why they are doing it. Maybe they think it’s the “cool” thing to do, maybe they’re just trying to grab people’s attention, maybe they are masters of the occult…who knows. 🤷
 
I have seen the pope pic (which I love :p), but I have never seen that other gesture from the pictures in the OP. I guess that I, too, am out of the loop.

I wouldn’t spend a great deal of time thinking about it, though. Although there are certain postures (like bowing or kneeling) that have somewhat cross-cultural significance historically, many gestures are far from universal. It’s not like doing or viewing that gestures is going to involuntarily open one’s heart to demonic influences.

We can only really speculate as to why they are doing it. Maybe they think it’s the “cool” thing to do, maybe they’re just trying to grab people’s attention, maybe they are masters of the occult…who knows. 🤷
Thanks for your views Joe. Much appreciated.
 
I would say the probability of mind control here is 0%, given that they are hardly subliminal, and there is no science indicating that at all.

I agree. This could be widespread interest in the occult, or it could be a new fashion trend, like big hair or Ugg boots or whatever. I really would not worry about it, especially because no one can provide answers to questions of motive except the people whose motives in this case matter – celebrities.
Thanks for giving your view on this Baelor.

I don’t believe that the possibility of occult is that low though. Not all mind control techniques need to be subliminal in the way they are delivered and stuff do they? I’m not sure. I was watching a documentary called the century of the self. I think the bbc produced it years ago. they were talking about the different ways that certain people have used the US mass media to influence public opinion and behaviour. alot of the stuff came out of theories and studies by sigmund freud and other people.

It was really interesting.
 
Freud has been disproved in almost every way imaginable, especially (and most importantly) his Theory of the Unconscious.

Also, mind control =/= occult. Mind control is a scientific issue, and celebrities covering one of their eyes in no way can lead to mind control. What would that even do? How would it even work? I put this eye thing on the same level as a dress color that is particularly popular on a given year. If science can disprove this, so be it. But until then, I am not worried.
 
Freud has been disproved in almost every way imaginable, especially (and most importantly) his Theory of the Unconscious.

Also, mind control =/= occult. Mind control is a scientific issue, and celebrities covering one of their eyes in no way can lead to mind control. What would that even do? How would it even work? I put this eye thing on the same level as a dress color that is particularly popular on a given year. If science can disprove this, so be it. But until then, I am not worried.
Interesting I didn’t know that Freud’s was disproved.
 
Freud has been disproved in almost every way imaginable, especially (and most importantly) his Theory of the Unconscious.

Also, mind control =/= occult. Mind control is a scientific issue, and celebrities covering one of their eyes in no way can lead to mind control. What would that even do? How would it even work? I put this eye thing on the same level as a dress color that is particularly popular on a given year. If science can disprove this, so be it. But until then, I am not worried.
How can he be disproved? this isn’t a physical science so it would be hard for anyone to disprove even if their experiments produced results which seemed to be different to what he predicted. most of the leading psychologists still use material that he came up with even though they may not subscribe to all of his theories. besides the documentary was not just about sigmund freud. he was only one of the people who influenced the whole PR thing. also i saw another one about how hitler used both occult and mind control on torture victims to change the way they behaved and thought.

Do you know anything about that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top