B
BlueEyedLady
Guest
People aren’t trophies to win or lose…It’s human nature to take offense when someone who plays by the rules loses out to those who do not.
So what do widows and widowers “deserve”?
People aren’t trophies to win or lose…It’s human nature to take offense when someone who plays by the rules loses out to those who do not.
We are supposed to rise above our human nature, our animalistic instincts and follow the law of God. That’s the whole reason we are here, is it not?It’s human nature to take offense when someone who plays by the rules loses out to those who do not.
So are you using a Sola Scriptura argument? You are arguing against Church teaching with Scripture…and you lecture me on just being in RCIA.Please read James 2:14-26.
And you didn’t do the same (use my words as a weapon against me)?My friend you need to be careful with jumping to conclusions and passing judgment. No one else on here made the assumption. You took my words to be used as a weapon against me.
I apologize, I did not mean it in an accusatory manner. I just mean that’s what a true Christian would do. And that’s the truth.Our actions always echo throughout our lives whether we want to hear it or not. The spiritual world, yes, it is more important and a better reflection of who someone is, but the physical realm is still bound by the laws of the physical realm. We cannot escape that, no matter how hard we try.
The last part of your comment about him being or not being a “true Christian” wasn’t very nice, if I may be honest. I think a persecution complex has come into play here and that has led to bitter words being exchanged.
No, I’m not. Although we are saved by God, our works determined whether we stay saved or not. One mortal sin is enough to send a person to hell, according to official Catholic teaching.So are you using a Sola Scriptura argument? You are arguing against Church teaching with Scripture…and you lecture me on just being in RCIA.![]()
I’m still not convinced that that’s what he’s arguing here. I think we’ve all been a bit hasty in jumping on Norseman. It’s hard to defend a position and explain it at the same time while feeling under attack.I apologize, I did not mean it in an accusatory manner. I just mean that’s what a true Christian would do. And that’s the truth.
That’s nice - on paper. But in motivating people, we need to remember how human nature works, since not everyone is at the desired level you speak of. In fact, for many (if not most) that level may not be achieved until we go through purgatory. In the meantime, are we going to recognize this human nature in ministering to people, or are we going to ignore it and in doing so, play with fire or ignore it completely?We are supposed to rise above our human nature, our animalistic instincts and follow the law of God. That’s the whole reason we are here, is it not?
You are quite right! Jesus forgave the woman that had been a prostitute and told her to “sin no more” that is all that is important, we are all sinners, no one can cast the first stone.Nothing wrong with it at all.
If there is…then whats the point of being Catholic if forgiveness just doesn’t matter that much?
What’s the point of converting to Catholicism and making a genuine effort to live according to the Church teachings when you’re already damaged goods.
I’ve had numerous sexual sins in my past but I’ve converted, confessed and deeply regretted my past. My husband has as well.
However, according to some holier than thou folks…my husband will probably commit adultery and we’ll get a divorce despite the fact that we’ve asked for forgiveness and actually lived a Chaste life before our marriage…even if it was only for about 6 months or so.
Sorry no one is “attacking” him we are just calling him out on his uncharitable words and actions.I’m still not convinced that that’s what he’s arguing here. I think we’ve all been a bit hasty in jumping on Norseman. It’s hard to defend a position and explain it at the same time while feeling under attack.
What exactly is he arguing then? Perhaps I misunderstood.I’m still not convinced that that’s what he’s arguing here. I think we’ve all been a bit hasty in jumping on Norseman. It’s hard to defend a position and explain it at the same time while feeling under attack.
You are quite right! Jesus forgave the woman that had been a prostitute and told her to “sin no more” that is all that is important, we are all sinners, no one can cast the first stone.
There have been uncharitable words from both sides. Meeting like with like. While I understand people have been hurt by Norseman’s words, I also understand that he also has likely been hurt by others’ words. The “calling him out” part I think is also a clue. But yes, we shouldn’t be resorting to personal attacks and should be considering that each person is trying to be charitable even if it doesn’t seem that way. Text does not convey emotion well and we tend to project our reaction onto the words as the writer’s intent.Sorry no one is “attacking” him we are just calling him out on his uncharitable words and actions.
One can argue and explain a position without resorting to personal attacks.
Would you please provide your evidence?And you didn’t do the same (use my words as a weapon against me)?
How is it that when I quote someone or point to what they say it’s a “personal attack” or “uncharitable” but when another does it it is merely “calling him out” and “expressing concern”? Sounds like a double standard to me.Sorry no one is “attacking” him we are just calling him out on his uncharitable words and actions.
One can argue and explain a position without resorting to personal attacks.
I really haven’t seen much uncharitableness from the other side, merely concern for what Norseman is saying. That is the opposite of uncharitableness. If I was acting out of line I would prefer someone to tell me that I was…and I have.There have been uncharitable words from both sides. Meeting like with like. While I understand people have been hurt by Norseman’s words, I also understand that he also has likely been hurt by others’ words. The “calling him out” part I think is also a clue. But yes, we shouldn’t be resorting to personal attacks and should be considering that each person is trying to be charitable even if it doesn’t seem that way. Text does not convey emotion well and we tend to project our reaction onto the words as the writer’s intent.
Norseman, I think your words have hurt people more than you realize. Not only did you make non-virgins feel lesser because they lost their virginity and that they are somehow tainted, you also objectified virgins and made it seem like they are some kind of commodity or prize to be won.How is it that when I quote someone or point to what they say it’s a “personal attack” but when another does it it is merely “calling him out”?
As I said, I phrased my answer as delicately as I could. I’m not going to be baited into answering only to risk having it twisted as being uncharitable. And my first answer in this thread did explicitly acknowledge that the Church did not have an official position on this. So even though I find problems with it once one thinks through it logically (which I have shown throughout the thread), canon law does not see it alone as an impediment. It may be one of those things that can be classified as technically not immoral, but instead imprudent.So…going back several pages…
Did norseman ever answer thewanderer’s following question? Or is he still avoiding it?
Do you or do you not believe that I would be morally obligated to pass over the non-virgin even if we were perfect in all other respects simply because he was a non-virgin (and a repentent one at that)?