What's Wrong with NAB?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DJ_Pius_X
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NAB turning “wineskins” into “bottles” is all I need to know.

Not for me.
… … … it really did that? I really need to find an English translation that suits my needs. . . . I may have to pull a Peter Kreeft and do it myself (with copious doses of help, of course), if permission can be gained from my Bishop.
 
… … … it really did that? I really need to find an English translation that suits my needs. . . . I may have to pull a Peter Kreeft and do it myself (with copious doses of help, of course), if permission can be gained from my Bishop.
Keep me posted on that project. I might be a buyer! 🙂
 
If you read the bible frequently for devotion, I would recommend a RSV-CE or Douay-Rheims over the NAB. Personally, I have several different translations RSV-CE, Douay-Rheims, NAB, NKJV, NIV, Shokel-Mateos. the NIV & NAB being the least favorites.

God Bless
 
One problem I’ve had is that the only true study Bible for Catholics appears to be NAB. Ignatius is only the New Testament–does anyone know of a decent Catholic study Bible that uses RSV, but isn’t fanatically conservative?
 
I kind of like my NABRE translation - I just like an easy read that isn’t a paraphrase. But the footnotes are bad in the Gospels - something like Christ became God and that was how people viewed his divinity until the Council of Nicaea - and they are useless in the rest of the new Testament. There are some in Revelation that say how Christ now had the same title used for him as God does. I’m like, so Christ isn’t God? But if you look at the footnotes earlier (in the book), you can kind of get at what they’re saying that isn’t heretical.
 
One problem I’ve had is that the only true study Bible for Catholics appears to be NAB. Ignatius is only the New Testament–does anyone know of a decent Catholic study Bible that uses RSV, but isn’t fanatically conservative?
Im not sure why you’re running around calling people fanatics. It’s something liberals tend to do I think. It’s something the French revolutionaries did too, when they sentenced priests and nuns to the chopping block or firing squad, their official crime was fanaticism for being faithful to Rome and not accepting the oath of the “state church.” How wonderful of you to use such a pretty word in reference to those who want to remain loyal to 2,000 years of church teaching and who want to maintain orthodoxy within their scripture studies.

There are plenty of liberal modernist heretical commentaries out there that have been made since the 60s. Help yourself to them.
 
The Navarre Study Bible is excellent.
The Navarre is okay for the old testament. But even it has some modernist, historical-critical stuff here and there that is just stated as fact instead of theory, especially regarding authorship and motivation for certain verses. I’ve found that a large percentage of the study note text can be somewhat useless and boring. Not saying it’s a bad purchase, just saying you might wait for the ignatius old testament (haven’t they got one or two done now?). Also, Fr. Haydock is always a good answer. You could buy that giant behemoth of a douey-Rheims bible with haydock’s notes which take up the bottom half of each page or you could just read them for free online. The age of his notes more or less guarantee orthodoxy (or that at least tends to be the case with things written in the 1800s).

When I finish working on my current apologetics app for smart phones I hope to start on a catholic study bible app with the DR on the top half of the screen and Haydock on the bottom half, both scrolling to maintain sync with eachother. We’ll see…
 
Keep me posted on that project. I might be a buyer! 🙂
If you are interested in a translation of the Nova Vulgata (I AM primarily a Latinist, you know!), then I will keep you posted. Unfortunately, such a translation cannot be used for the liturgy, but I have found no block for a devotional translation. The pastor of my parish is fully behind and supportive of me in this case, and thinks this will be a great way for me to grow in sanctity (he’s the kind of priest who will hear a confession in the middle of the week if the person just walks in and asks).

I think I shall begin on the Gospel of John soon: I need to complete that before my senior year as the Associate Dean of the Honor’s College gave his permission for a translation of the Gospel of John for my Senior Honor’s Project.
 
One problem I’ve had is that the only true study Bible for Catholics appears to be NAB. Ignatius is only the New Testament–does anyone know of a decent Catholic study Bible that uses RSV, but isn’t fanatically conservative?
Well if I have to choose between fanatically conservative or fanatically liberal. I’ll take fanatically conservative every time, because I know it will not lead astray or tear down my faith.

That was a surprising comment for someone in you where you are at; from the news we get here there is persecution of those who are faithful to the magisterium.

God Bless
 
Crumpy,

The NAB uses ‘cup’ throughout. The RSV-2CE uses ‘chalice’ in the way you speak.

Also, the NAB(RE) is not a paraphrase by any means, it is a formal equivalence translation, slightly less literal than the RSV. The introduction to the NAB(RE) makes that pretty clear.
 
I’ve heard it said that the NAB is a paraphrase translation. some who criticize the translation point to this feature.

I think the translation can be somewhat misleading, too.

the NAB seems to take the rule of translating the word “cup” as “chalice” so that we Catholics are using the word most politically correct. You know, “Father let this CHALICE pass from me.” I think the word “chalice” overdoes the political correctness.

the word “chalice” makes us think of a precious liturgical vessel that we are familiar with in our modern liturgy. I’m not so sure that THAT was used at the last supper or what Jesus was referring to during His agony in the garden.

That word is a distraction to me. The “cup” that Jesus wanted HIs Father to pass from Him during the agony was not a pretty thing. It was a reference to the suffering that He was to undergo. In my non-academic way of thinking, it’s confusing to refer to that as a “chalice.” There was nothing beautiful about THAT cup.
You better get use to the word ‘chalice’, because the new English Missal that will be used this Advent in the USA uses ‘chalice’ instead of ‘cup’ in the institution of the Eucharist. And as mccorm 45 stated before me, the NAB/RE uses ‘cup’ not ‘chalice’.
 
Im not sure why you’re running around calling people fanatics. It’s something liberals tend to do I think. It’s something the French revolutionaries did too, when they sentenced priests and nuns to the chopping block or firing squad, their official crime was fanaticism for being faithful to Rome and not accepting the oath of the “state church.” How wonderful of you to use such a pretty word in reference to those who want to remain loyal to 2,000 years of church teaching and who want to maintain orthodoxy within their scripture studies.

There are plenty of liberal modernist heretical commentaries out there that have been made since the 60s. Help yourself to them.
I certainly wasn’t calling you a fanatic. Sorry if it seemed that way.

For my part, I’m not sure why you’re comparing me to the revolutionaries during the Reign of Terror. Can’t say I remember chopping anyone’s head off.
 
Eh, it’s basically clunky sounding and the footnotes are liberal as hell.
I would replace “liberal” with heretical. If you could rip out the commentary and just have the Bible it would be MUCH better. I was revisting my copy of the NAB the other night for the first time in several years and was amazed at how bad the commentary is. It seems purposely designed to destroy someone’s faith.

I’d go with either the Revised Standard or the Douay Rheims.

Pax.
 
The NAB turning “wineskins” into “bottles” is all I need to know.

Not for me.
I think you may be grossly misinformed.
I have the NABRE and the original printing of the NAB and both have “wineskins”.

You can see for yourself here.

I like the NAB for devotional reading & prayer. I prefer my old edition to the revised edition, but I do like that the words of Jesus are in red in the NABRE.

For study and acedemic work, I tend to use the RSV-CE because that is what my gospel parallel uses.
 
Guys, thanks for your help. Is the RSV-CE approved by Rome?
I’m not sure that there is a mechanism for getting a recognitio unless a bishop’s conference asks for one, and in that case it would only be for a lectionary based on that translation anyway. However, I am not an expert, and I welcome correction from others who know more about it (which wouldn’t be difficult, because I don’t know a lot).

OTOH, it is the version of Scripture used in English translations of Pope Benedict XVI’s books. That is, of course, not an official stand as Pope, but I think it indicates a general Papal approval.

Just to be fair, I should mention that the publishers of the Pope’s books in the US are the same company that publish the RSV-CE. I still think that the use of that translation in the English editions of his books indicates a personal approval of the translation, but I want to tell everything I know about the subject, since it isn’t very much. 😃

–Jen
 
I think you may be grossly misinformed.
I have the NABRE and the original printing of the NAB and both have “wineskins”.
I agree! I checked the concordance for the RSV-CE and looked for every verse that had wineskin or wineskins in it, and there are are 8 (Ps 119:83; Josh 9:4, 9:13; Job 32:19; Mt 9:17; Mk 2:22; Lk 5:37, 5:38). I then checked all these verses in the NAB/RE, and every one of them has wineskin or wineskins.
 
Crumpy,

The NAB uses ‘cup’ throughout. The RSV-2CE uses ‘chalice’ in the way you speak.

Also, the NAB(RE) is not a paraphrase by any means, it is a formal equivalence translation, slightly less literal than the RSV. The introduction to the NAB(RE) makes that pretty clear.
The Douay-Rheims Version also uses ‘chalice’ instead of ‘cup’!
 
I can’t get past that the NABRE has “Hail, favored one” at Luke 1:28, and at Is. 7:14 has “young woman” instead of virgin. How is this a Catholic bible??
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top