Whats your Favorite Marian Devotion?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

What’s your favorite marian devotion? Mine is the Rosary.

My favourite Marian devotion is not listed 😦

The most perfect of all Marian devotions and the one I love to practice everyday is the Holy Mass.

I also pray the Rosary (almost) daily and wear the Brown Scapular since July 16th 2002.

God Bless,
Fergal

Actually, I make use of all of those. I would say the most important to me is the Rosary, but I wouldn’t want to be without the other devotionals either.

I really Love “Hail Holy Queen”!

Hail Holy Queen,
Mother of mercy
Our life, our sweetness and our hope
To thee do we fly
poor banished children of Eve
To thee do we send our sighs, morning and weeping
in this valley of tears.
Turn then most gracious advocate
thine eyes of mercy towards us
And after this our exile
show unto us the precious fruit of thy womb
Jesus.
Oh clement, oh loving, oh sweet virgin Mary!
Pray for us, oh holy mother of God
that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

I like the rosary, the miraculous medal, and Marian prayers, but I also like the devotion of the first five Saturdays. This is a devotion that came from the apparitions at Fatima. She showed little Francesco, Jacinta, and Lucia her immaculate heart, that had a sword going through it, but also, thorns poking it. She told the children that those thorns were the result of people hurting her immaculate heart by denying the titles given to her and cursing her name, such as protestants who don’t like Marian doctrines or devotions, and as a result, turn completely against Mary because they don’t want to be for anything that Catholic church is for, but also, some secularists who trash Mary by denying the virgin birth. She told them that to make repiration for this, to meditate on the mysteries of the rosary for at least fifteen minutes, to go to confession, and to attend holy mass all on the first Saturdays for five consecutive months, sort of like the first 9 Fridays.

Definitely the Rosary. The more I pray it, the more I think *This is not nearly so much my gift to Mary as it is her gift to me! :bounce: *

I really like the Miraculous Medal, though I keep losing them! I need to go out and buy my fourth soon! When I feel the medal on my skin or hear it jingle it reminds me to pray. I also am very fond of Mary as the Seat of Wisdom, being a philosopher.

In voting, I couldn’t decide between the Rosary and the Brown Scapular. Wearing the Brown Scapular carries the duty of saying a Rosary daily (or the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, or some other approved good work) – but I finally had to vote for the Rosary in the poll. When I think of Mary, I think of the Rosary, and vice-versa.

By all means the Rosary is my favorite! I wear a Scapular and a Miraculous Medal too.🙂

40.png
Ambrose:
Actually, I make use of all of those. I would say the most important to me is the Rosary, but I wouldn’t want to be without the other devotionals either.
Me too! (er…neither? No, too. Well…nevermind that 😉 )

Sometimes I’m a little sloppy about doing the daily Rosary(but not often, thank the Lord!) but the earlier mentioned ‘jingle’ of the Medal against my cross, and the morning ritual of untangling my scapular from the the chain is a pretty good set of reminders. 😉

I had to put down the miraculous medal. I’ve worn my for a long time. I don’t remember when I got it, but it’s been around my neck ever since. I do have a brown scapular, but it keeps getting tangled up with my other bit, so I don’t like to wear it. Besides, I have a few tank tops that don’t cover it well at all, and it’s kind of embarassing when people come up to me and think it’s a tag sticking out.

I also love the rosary. I actually have several now. I even have two I keep in my purse for when I’m out and about. I ride the city bus everywhere, and I usually pray my rosary then. One of those rosaries is a nylon cord with knots. Red, of course. It’s starting to look dirty from all the use. The other one is a “regular” one. It’s different in that the beads are on a “double” thing. It’s sturdier than all my other rosaries. And since I’m kind of hard on them, I prefer these two. This second one, with red beads, was given to me with the message to stay close to our Mother.

I too would have to say the rosary, but I also wear the Miraculous Medal and the Brown Scapular. The one prayer that I really love is the Memorare - I particularly love the line that NEVER was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession was left unaided. I also love to attend the May Crowning done by the children of our parish school which is named in honor of the Immaculate Conception (it’s the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of that doctrine this year so you can imagine the big celebration we will be having).
👍

The Little Office of the Blessed Mary-- I like but in reciting the whole office daily is like reading 90 pages of a standard book. That’s a lot of kneeling. I love the Rosary and I do wear the Scapular.

Mine is the Akathistos Hymn, and the Paraklesis (a service in the time of need, but so beautiful, it is celebrated even in good times).

I don’t think of the scapular as a marian devotion-though its promotion was by the Theotokos. It seems to have its origin in eastern monasticism (Byzantine rite monks wear a big scapular called a “schema” when they reach the highest level of monk, and sometimes laity are tonsured on the deathbed and receive this).

Don’t forget about the various litanies etc. as well as the Little Office of the BVM (i prefer the older, pre-Vatican II office that i read at holy hour at a local convent).

In Christ,
Adam

40.png
akemner:
Mine is the Akathistos Hymn, and the Paraklesis (a service in the time of need, but so beautiful, it is celebrated even in good times).

I don’t think of the scapular as a marian devotion-though its promotion was by the Theotokos. It seems to have its origin in eastern monasticism (Byzantine rite monks wear a big scapular called a “schema” when they reach the highest level of monk, and sometimes laity are tonsured on the deathbed and receive this).

Don’t forget about the various litanies etc. as well as the Little Office of the BVM (i prefer the older, pre-Vatican II office that i read at holy hour at a local convent).

In Christ,
Adam
The Catholic Encyclopedia says that the scapular has an Eastern equavalent is called an analubus. That’s the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary I talk about. I recited the preVatican II office Sunday. Matins,Laudes,and Prime took me two hours to say.

the scapular has an Eastern equavalent is called an analubus
That is new on me-yet another thing i get to research!! 😃
the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary I talk about
Would you happen to know where i can find a copy? I have the new one, but i do not find it as satisfying. Also i have seen English usages of the Little Office from the Middle Ages, but i never did sit down and trudge through it (a critical edition published by some society in Boston that specializes in mediaeval liturgical texts from England and Wales).

In Christ,
Adam

40.png
akemner:
In Christ,
Adam
Don’t forget the Kontakia and the Theotokion and all the other devotions to the Mother of God throughout the Divine Liturgy.

Ho panagia Theotokou soson imas!

Oh yes-the Dogmatika of Great Vespers, sung to the Great Znamenny or Long Byzantine melodies-truly divine!

My favourite, though not a mariological hymn per se:

What shall we offer you, O Christ, because you have appeared on earth as a man for our sakes? For each of the creatures made by you offers you its thanks: the Angels their hymn; the heavens the Star; the Shepherds their wonder; the Magi their gifts; the earth the Cave; the desert the Manger; but we a Virgin Mother. God before the ages, have mercy on us. (from Vespers of the NAtivity of our Lord God and Savior, Jesus Christ, third stichera at Ps. 140: from anastasis.org.uk/). I weep everytime i hear this.

In Christ,
Adam

I love the brown scapular, the Miraculous Medal, the rosary, and I also believe Mary has called us to fast.

So I have added bread and water fasting to my weekly routine. I thought I would be starving on these bread and water days…but the Holy Spirit is amazing. One the day of my fast, I pray He helps me be satisfied, refreshed and energized.

I also find I have been blessed more as a result of adding fasts into my life.

God is awesome to have given us such a loving Mother.

40.png
akemner:
That is new on me-yet another thing i get to research!! 😃
Would you happen to know where i can find a copy? I have the new one, but i do not find it as satisfying. Also i have seen English usages of the Little Office from the Middle Ages, but i never did sit down and trudge through it (a critical edition published by some society in Boston that specializes in mediaeval liturgical texts from England and Wales).

In Christ,
Adam

I got my Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary from www.sacramentals.org for 15.00. You could also get the same book from www.angeluspress.org for 14.95[look under missals], or from St.Bonaventure Press www.libers.com for 13.00. The republisher of the book is originally St.Bonaventure Press. Ithink all of the three stores have the same book published by St.Bonaventure Press. This is the 1914 edition of the Little Office. Happy Prayer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back