When a vaccine arrives

• Thread starter Thread starter Pattylt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pattylt

I’m curious as to what everyone’s opinion is when we finally get a vaccine for Covid-19. There is always a portion of the population that due to underlying conditions, allergies, etc. can not be vaccinated. There is also a large portion…and growing…that refuses vaccination for various reasons. I see no reason why those that oppose vaccines won’t also oppose this one.

What should the US or your state or country do about these that refuse? Should they not be allowed back to work? Should the children be excluded from public school or private school? Should we just hope that enough people vaccinated will provide herd immunity and allow them the freedom to refuse the vaccine? If you favor this option, what happens if they cause a breakout or return of the virus in their community on those that couldn’t be vaccinated?

Just asking for opinions here. Thanks!

New vaccines are scary.
Sometimes side effects don’t show up in the clinical trials.

I’m not getting a rushed vaccination unless absolutely necessary.

Do you think the government really would universal mandate it?
I’m not sure.
I think in that case I’d be a partial antivaxer—against that particular vaccine.

No, they would not mandate it.

Although some on the far left might.

A lot of what we are doing right now is us dutifully following suggestions and orders that various officials may or may not have the authority to make. Enforcement is something else entirely.

I don’t think we are organized enough to enforce anything beyond a suggestion. So I imagine it will be strongly suggested like everything else. We aren’t organized enough to do more.

Last edited:
What happens if the US mandates it for all except medical reasons scripted by a doctor?
Legally speaking, the US Government would have a very difficult time achieving this. More than likely they’ll pressure employers to have “Essential Workers” vaccinated.

I wouldn’t hesitate to receive it. It is true that any new drug or biologic will have unknown effects not seen in trials (mostly because total # subjects are really small compared to general use), but most vaccines have similar profiles.

First responders and healthcare should receive it first. I don’t see a need to prohibit those who can’t or refuse the vaccine from returning to activities. Somehow I envision the refusal rate to be lower than others.

A vaccine would be great but we’re forgetting about antivirals. Antivirals may not prevent an infection, they will help lessen the chances of complications. The media seems focused on anti-malarials (I wonder why 😉) but existing antivirals might be found to be effective before a vaccine is even mass produced.
Forcing people to take vaccines is a violation of liberty, plus, as others have mentioned, any possible side effects that weren’t detected, will fuel distrust in vaccines.

Ha! I kind of had the opposite thought… it might be mandated in order to get the economy going as fast as possible.

I really don’t think it would be mandated but I CAN think of a few reasons it might be thought about…to fast track the economy, to ramp up herd immunity, to avoid the next wave of infections…

So far, with no mandate, the first responders to this thread will avoid it. Do you think that will be common?

Thanks!

but existing antivirals might be found to be effective before a vaccine is even mass produced.
We definitely have like a quarter-inch of leftover tamiflu in the back of the refrigerator that I considered part of our pandemic supplies when I panic bought meat for our deep freeze almost a whole month before the stores started seeing people go nuts.

Logically…if Tamiflu helped they’d have figured that out by now. I think the early comparisons to flu added to my thinking. In reality, it is probably the way back of the fridge version of a rabbit’s foot. Superstitious and silly.

My wife works a hospital in NJ. Young people are dying. A baby died today. Yesterday a 49 year old father died. Earlier in the week it was a very fit 33 year old firefighter.

It used to be this was an “old poeple’s disease” (as if that makes it OK?). Respectfully, you’ve made it into an “old and fat people’s disease.”

It’s an “everyone’s disease.”

It’s always someone else’s disease - till it comes for you or your immediate family.

I will get a vaccine as soon as it is available, just as I get a flu shot every year. There is no good reason not to get vaccinated.

Last edited:
Not from what my aunt told my wife.

I saw a doctor on TV say the average BMI of a “young” patient that is critically ill is over 30.

Last edited:
That happens with the flu as well.

The vast majority are not what you are describing.

They are either old or have health issues.

That’s false, in part because things like body mass aren’t measured when you’re coding out.

Everyone has an aunt who told a friend who told a third cousin they don’t have to worry about it.

One nurse at my wife’s hospital had 4 deaths on her floor from covid during her shift this afternoon. None were over 60.

existing antivirals might be found to be effective before a vaccine is even mass produced.
Well, definitely. Will not supplant the need for a vaccine. There are a number of approved drugs that show promise and are being examined. The advantage here is that they have been through trials and found generally safe, and effective for another use. Anti-retrovirals, immune modulating agents, the chloroquine type anti malarial’s, and even one antibiotic that seems to have some antiviral properties.

Will they pan out? That’s what study and dose finding will determine.

Here’s an additional question

Since an antibody test is becoming available, would it make sense to require someone entering back into the workforce to either prove immunity with the antibody test or get the vaccine?

When I returned to college at 35 yo, I was required to have had the MMR vaccine. This caught me off guard and I told the admissions office that I had the diseases! My choice? Get an antibody titer to verify immunity (expensive) or get the MMR (cheap). I got the MMR.

Edit to add…this was required to enter college!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back