When do I leave?

  • Thread starter Thread starter crosstimbers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crosstimbers

Guest
This is a long post, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

I am a former Episcopalian who began investigating Catholism last summer when the Episcopal church accelerated its slide into apostasy. I joined an RCIA class this fall and have been doing a lot of reading and study on my own. Every serious question I had about Catholic doctrine has been answered, sometimes obviously by the work of the Holy Spirit. I have come to see the fullness of faith in the CC and to believe it to be the historical Church founded by Jesus. I am divorced and re-married 3 years ago so I am also going through the annulment process. I doubt that process will be complete before Easter Vigil this year and that’s okay.

At about the same time I started RCIA, my Episcopal priest left the denomination (with most of the parish including me) over the current heresies and have started a new Anglican parish not associated with TEC. At that time I was still unsure about my future with Catholicism and felt I had an obligation to support this new parish as they stepped out in faith leaving behind the church building, finances, etc. I also accepted a leadership position (without praying about it! Someone nominated me on the spur-of-the-moment ). My thinking (fear) at the time was that if my previous marriage was not annulled, I would still have access to the Eucharist through the Anglican Church. But as time has passed and I have become more and more convinced of the truth of the Catholic Church, I began to feel that even if my divorce was not annulled I would rather be gathering crumbs under the Catholic table than sitting at a feast anywhere else. But here is my dilemma: I feel terribly guilty about leaving my fledgling Anglican church. Right now I’m attending Saturday Mass and the Anglican service on Sunday. At what point is it time for me to leave?
Thanks
 
Hello crosstimbers,

When the Holy Spirit guides you and allow you to see the truth in the Catholic church and you believe it is The One, do not turn away.

You believe that you don’t want to abandon your current parish - That shows your loving towards your fellow Christians. However, what will be more loving is to be an example for them to follow -

What if the Holy Spirit allows you to know the truth in the Catholic Church so that your fellow Christians can follow. If you stay where you are, how do they follow you?

However, I would say that you should take sometime and let your friends know about your new discovery. I am sure many will want to find out.

God bless and you are in my prayer!
 
when will you be officially Catholic? – until then I would say you can attend both - it helps you have sometime talking with your friends about your faith in Catholic. Just don’t let leadership position keeps you stuck there though. 🙂
 
This is a long post, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

I am a former Episcopalian who began investigating Catholism last summer when the Episcopal church accelerated its slide into apostasy. I joined an RCIA class this fall and have been doing a lot of reading and study on my own. Every serious question I had about Catholic doctrine has been answered, sometimes obviously by the work of the Holy Spirit. I have come to see the fullness of faith in the CC and to believe it to be the historical Church founded by Jesus. I am divorced and re-married 3 years ago so I am also going through the annulment process. I doubt that process will be complete before Easter Vigil this year and that’s okay.

At about the same time I started RCIA, my Episcopal priest left the denomination (with most of the parish including me) over the current heresies and have started a new Anglican parish not associated with TEC. At that time I was still unsure about my future with Catholicism and felt I had an obligation to support this new parish as they stepped out in faith leaving behind the church building, finances, etc. I also accepted a leadership position (without praying about it! Someone nominated me on the spur-of-the-moment ). My thinking (fear) at the time was that if my previous marriage was not annulled, I would still have access to the Eucharist through the Anglican Church. But as time has passed and I have become more and more convinced of the truth of the Catholic Church, I began to feel that even if my divorce was not annulled I would rather be gathering crumbs under the Catholic table than sitting at a feast anywhere else. But here is my dilemma: I feel terribly guilty about leaving my fledgling Anglican church. Right now I’m attending Saturday Mass and the Anglican service on Sunday. At what point is it time for me to leave?
Thanks
When you leave the Inquiry phase and are ready to go through the Rite of Welcome. That is the time you make the decision to close the door behind you and continue walking.
 
…] as time has passed and I have become more and more convinced of the truth of the Catholic Church, I began to feel that even if my divorce was not annulled I would rather be gathering crumbs under the Catholic table than sitting at a feast anywhere else.
What a wonderful attitude to have!! 👍
But here is my dilemma: I feel terribly guilty about leaving my fledgling Anglican church. Right now I’m attending Saturday Mass and the Anglican service on Sunday. At what point is it time for me to leave?
When you are ready to commit yourself 100% to the Church that Christ founded, regardless of the personal cost.

I had a similar dilemma - when I became convinced of the claims of the Catholic Church, I was functioning as an Elder in my Protestant Church, with a large number of commitments. However, the priest I was working with informed me that I could not enter RCIA unless I was no longer attending that Church, and no longer in a position of leadership there.

Over a period of two months, I tried really hard to recruit other people to take on these tasks, and I utterly failed to do so - everyone was saying, “Oh, yes, this is important,” but no one was actually showing up for meetings - it was just assumed that I would carry on doing these tasks by myself, as usual.

In the end, I simply left - I dropped a note into the senior pastor’s mailbox letting him know that I was gone; that I considered myself Catholic, and was entering a period of discernment called RCIA to find out whether I was, indeed, Catholic, before receiving the Sacraments of Initiation. I also let him know which tasks I was in the middle of, and what steps were needed to take next, and he took it from there.

I got a very nice e-mail back from him, and that was that - I was later told that it took 17 people to do all of the tasks that I’d been doing by myself - and that’s not including the ones that they just stopped doing altogether. 😛

Anyway, don’t beat yourself up - if God is calling you to be Catholic, He will either find others to do the work that you are currently doing, or else He will decide that it’s no longer required.

Either way, welcome to the Catholic Church!! 🙂
 
This is a long post, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

I am a former Episcopalian who began investigating Catholism last summer when the Episcopal church accelerated its slide into apostasy. I joined an RCIA class this fall and have been doing a lot of reading and study on my own. Every serious question I had about Catholic doctrine has been answered, sometimes obviously by the work of the Holy Spirit. I have come to see the fullness of faith in the CC and to believe it to be the historical Church founded by Jesus. I am divorced and re-married 3 years ago so I am also going through the annulment process. I doubt that process will be complete before Easter Vigil this year and that’s okay.

At about the same time I started RCIA, my Episcopal priest left the denomination (with most of the parish including me) over the current heresies and have started a new Anglican parish not associated with TEC. At that time I was still unsure about my future with Catholicism and felt I had an obligation to support this new parish as they stepped out in faith leaving behind the church building, finances, etc. I also accepted a leadership position (without praying about it! Someone nominated me on the spur-of-the-moment ). My thinking (fear) at the time was that if my previous marriage was not annulled, I would still have access to the Eucharist through the Anglican Church. But as time has passed and I have become more and more convinced of the truth of the Catholic Church, I began to feel that even if my divorce was not annulled I would rather be gathering crumbs under the Catholic table than sitting at a feast anywhere else. But here is my dilemma: I feel terribly guilty about leaving my fledgling Anglican church. Right now I’m attending Saturday Mass and the Anglican service on Sunday. At what point is it time for me to leave?
Thanks
Any chance you could get your Anglican Church to sign up for RCIA? It’d be cheaper I’m sure, and they’ll gain the fullness of the faith 🙂

Catholig
 
This is a long post, but I would really appreciate some feedback.

I am a former Episcopalian who began investigating Catholism last summer when the Episcopal church accelerated its slide into apostasy. I joined an RCIA class this fall and have been doing a lot of reading and study on my own. Every serious question I had about Catholic doctrine has been answered, sometimes obviously by the work of the Holy Spirit. I have come to see the fullness of faith in the CC and to believe it to be the historical Church founded by Jesus. I am divorced and re-married 3 years ago so I am also going through the annulment process. I doubt that process will be complete before Easter Vigil this year and that’s okay.

At about the same time I started RCIA, my Episcopal priest left the denomination (with most of the parish including me) over the current heresies and have started a new Anglican parish not associated with TEC. At that time I was still unsure about my future with Catholicism and felt I had an obligation to support this new parish as they stepped out in faith leaving behind the church building, finances, etc. I also accepted a leadership position (without praying about it! Someone nominated me on the spur-of-the-moment ). My thinking (fear) at the time was that if my previous marriage was not annulled, I would still have access to the Eucharist through the Anglican Church. But as time has passed and I have become more and more convinced of the truth of the Catholic Church, I began to feel that even if my divorce was not annulled I would rather be gathering crumbs under the Catholic table than sitting at a feast anywhere else. But here is my dilemma: I feel terribly guilty about leaving my fledgling Anglican church. Right now I’m attending Saturday Mass and the Anglican service on Sunday. At what point is it time for me to leave?
Thanks
I really mean the following to be spoken very gently. My keyboard can’t convey how I would say this in person, so I’ll trust in the Holy Spirit.

"Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” (Matthew 8:21-22)

It’s time. Welcome home! 🙂
 
"Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” (Matthew 8:21-22)
I wouldn’t consider this verse in crosstimbers’s case though. 🙂

But yes, let’s welcome him home!
 
I really mean the following to be spoken very gently. My keyboard can’t convey how I would say this in person, so I’ll trust in the Holy Spirit.

"Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” (Matthew 8:21-22)

It’s time. Welcome home! 🙂
Randy, thank you for being gentle. The verse you quoted really struck me. You may be right.

Nancy
 
Any chance you could get your Anglican Church to sign up for RCIA? It’d be cheaper I’m sure, and they’ll gain the fullness of the faith 🙂

Catholig
LOL! Actually, I tried to talk the priest into investigating the Anglican Use but it was a no-go.
 
If you are convinced that this is where you are lead, I wouldn’t tarry. Call your current priest and schedule a time to meet with him to explain the situation (which you might already have done if you tried to convince him to seek ordination as an Anglican Use Catholic). If you’ve made a financial pledge to your current parish for the year, you might consider keeping it, but otherwise just go.
 
since you are in a leadership position in your congregation, I think you should discuss your plans with your pastor, if for no other reason than he will need to find someone to take your place. Also, if you discuss your reasons with him, you may be instrumental in helping him and the rest of the congregation, who obviously share some of your own struggles, consider pursuing the choice you have made.

Once you have made the decision in your own heart it is time to leave, even if your reception into the Catholic Church is delayed.
 
I was in a similar situation (former 'Piskie!). I left when I could no longer bear being out of communion with the Saints I loved and prayed to such as St Thomas Becket. When you realize that all of those wondrous Anglican Saints are really CATHOLIC Saints, and that they’re praying for your conversion so you can be with them in communion with Peter and his descendants… well… it kinda lights a fire under you to get moving! 👍
 
I was in a similar situation (former 'Piskie!). I left when I could no longer bear being out of communion with the Saints I loved and prayed to
Yes, I can see that. One of the first of many surprises in this journey was how quickly I felt close to the Blessed Mother. As I look back on my life, the Holy Spirit has shown me many instances when she was drawing me to the Church to which I was oblivious at the time!
 
You believe that you don’t want to abandon your current parish - That shows your loving towards your fellow Christians. However, what will be more loving is to be an example for them to follow -
It’s interesting that you would use the word “abandonment”. It occurs to me that it might be my own “abandonment issues” (caused by childhood trauma) that are fueling my guilt rather than godly principles. In which case I should probably give up the guilt and just follow Him.
 
In which case I should probably give up the guilt and just follow Him.
**A guilty conscience is so burdensome that it punishes itself without a judge, and wishes for covering, and yet is bare before God. **
**St. Ambrose **
 
I think you’re worried about being able to receive Eucharist at Easter Vigil. If you go to confession prior to Easter Vigil, the priest should hear that you’re going through the Annulment process, and you’re confessing your divorce. You should still be allowed to receive Eucharist at Easter.

God Bless.
 
I think you’re worried about being able to receive Eucharist at Easter Vigil.
Actually, I’m not worried. I look forward to Eucharist and pray that my annulment is granted but I’m at peace with waiting.
 
Actually, I’m not worried. I look forward to Eucharist and pray that my annulment is granted but I’m at peace with waiting.
Perhaps ‘worried’ was the wrong word, but I was just saying that confession prior to Easter Vigil (or, in my case, baptism at Easter Vigil) would absolve the sin, and thus allow you to receive.

In my case, my wife of 18 years and I needed to marry in the church prior to Easter Vigil, and the Pastor and Bishop expedited the process so that we were no longer living in sin when I was baptised and received into full communion.

Hopefully, your pastor and the diocese Canon officials will be able to expedite your annullment.

God Bless, and Welcome!👍
 
I don’t get it, why would living with your wife be living in sin?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top