This is a discussion which very much fascinated Augustine. He was immensely interested in the question regarding whether or not life was existent for humans before the womb. He never dared to come to a definitive conclusion about this matter throughout any of the course of his works. He believed the human mind was ultimately incapable of deriving any such truth in response to this question. We can observe in book I of the Confessions a moment where he directly inquires about this matter in his prayers to God as he writes to Him with the utmost fear and reverence. He admits the possibility of this question being one which he is unworthy of knowing the answer of:
“Tell me, God, tell Your suppliant, in mercy to Your poor wretch, tell me whether there was some period of my life, now dead and gone, which preceded my infancy? Or is this period that which I spent in my mother’s womb? On that matter also I have learnt something, and I myself have seen pregnant women. What was going on before that, my sweetness, my God? Was I anywhere, or any sort of person? I have no one able to tell me that–neither my father nor my mother nor the experiences of others nor my own memory. But You may smile at me for putting these questions. Your command that I praise You and confess You may be limited to that which I know.”
God may very well be smiling upon us as we ponder upon the mysteries of His incredible creation through asking such things.