When does criticising priests, bishops, and the Pope go too far?

• Thread starter Thread starter Riman643
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to criticize the clergy quite a bit especially the higher ups. However, for some reason many have found what I have said to be uncharitable and rude so I am curious how does one go about criticizing the clergy? I want to make sure I am not being uncharitable when talking about the clergy because I have the utmost respect for them.
Treat everyone with the respect that they deserve and you can’t really go wrong.

Personally, when I’ve found a priest wanting in some way, I’ve found it to be a lot more productive for me to pray to God about the priest with me expressing my concerns about the priest in my prayers. God has either set me straight in regards to the matter or has helped the priest overcome his shortcomings.

One way or the other, the issue always seems to get resolved if I sincerely pray to God about it and heed His advice on the matter.

Particularly during this time of pandemic, bishop have an unenviable role - trying to reconcile competing considerations that are intrinsically at odds with each other with zero precedent or past practice to help them. Lately on FB though I’ve seen some criticism from self-proclaimed good Catholics which is completely appalling. Things like suggesting that bishops are “on the take” for accepting government wage support for diocesan (and parish) employees.
When I see priests who are knocking themselves out to serve their parishes and making sacrifices such as low pay, giving up family life, having to obey their bishop instead of just do what they want, etc and then they get all this criticism thrown at them from armchair “experts”, it makes me think that’s one reason why we don’t have more vocations.
This. It’s one thing to disagree with a priest’s style or the decisions which a bishop makes for his diocese but it’s another thing to make that criticism personal. As a friend of mine would say: “if you can do it better, please do”.

Like for example I have pointed out to my friends that Pope Francis (based on his actions) is more concerned about promoting left wing politics (open borders immigration and fear-mongering about climate change) as well as condemning traditional Catholics as nasty people instead of leading the faithful closer to Christ. Many of my friends say that what I say is uncharitable and disrespectful even when I provide evidence. I like Pope Francis a lot but I think these things should be addressed and discussed. Do you not think that is important?

How is discussing it with your friends changing anything? If your friends think it is uncharitable and disrespectful, maybe you should reconsider what you are saying.

It’s too far when you criticise the person, clergy or otherwise. We are never ever called to judge a person no matter what because we simply do not know their soul. We are not God. However, we can and ought to look at their behaviour. But even then we should use Galatians 6 and look at St Paul’s advice on what to do when detecting a transgression in someone… to correct it with a spirit of gentleness and look at your own behaviour making sure that there’s no fault with you. That’s a lot like Jesus and the adulterer.and thr lig in our eye. We have to be careful lashing out at people because we don’t know how we’d behave in a situation as we haven’t been tested in that way we can’t assume we have virtues just cos we remain untested. We should speak up kindly if it’s our place and most of all listen to the reply and be ready to forgive and pray for those who have wronged us.

Last edited:
I think you went too far when you say Pope Francis is more concerned about promoting left wing politics. How can you presume to know his motives? Why not give Pope Francis the respect he deserves and say that he is leading the Church the way in which he honestly believes God is calling him to do, a way with which you happen to disagree?

as we’ve seen with the various scandals, a lot of shenanigans went on, and nobody spoke up. As hurly-burly as things get these days, I’ll take today’s approach over that of 50-75 years ago, any day of the week
50-75 years ago, Catholic laity such as Cuomo, Biden, Pelosi, would never have risen up in areas with many other Catholic laity. The overwhelming majority of Laity were actively prolife then.

I suspect the bishops on the whole now are no better or worse than the bishops of yesterday - they definitely have a much harder job.

How would you compare the laity today with the Laity of 50 - 75 years ago? Think about acceptance of abortion, divorce rates, premarital sex, contraception, attendance at Mass, going to Confession, etc.

The secular media has trained laity to focus on the (very real) occasional failures among bishops, and not to focus on sins and failings of laity.

Thus, Mr. Biden.

Thus, short lines for Confessions, that’s the only place in 2020 where we can’t confess the sins of other persons.

Last edited:
Like for example I have pointed out to my friends that Pope Francis (based on his actions) is more concerned about promoting left wing politics (open borders immigration and fear-mongering about climate change) as well as condemning traditional Catholics as nasty people instead of leading the faithful closer to Christ. Many of my friends say that what I say is uncharitable and disrespectful even when I provide evidence. I like Pope Francis a lot but I think these things should be addressed and discussed. Do you not think that is important?
Do you actually listen to every message from Pope Francis or just tune into what you find questionable? Did you follow his daily masses or ever listen to his Wednesday addresses? He is consistently trying to lead the faithful closer to Christ. Many, including yourself, seem to be ignoring that and focusing on this narrative to make him other than he is. If you don’t like anything he says that is too political, ignore it, and listen to what he says about the faith. Try it, you may be surprised. I find it telling that if I go directly to sources like Aleteia, there is constantly good news of the gospel being shared that the Pope delivered. Do I often find those things being shared elsewhere online? No, people would rather focus on creating drama and much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Your criticisms of Pope Francis here are pretty overblown and you’re failing to take into account the contexts in which he makes these statements. He’s from South America where many rich people would happily destroy all rainforests and natural features if they thought it would make them an extra dime and where there has been a ton of oppression over his lifetime, up to and including murdering people and murdering clergy and religious. Naturally these things influence his views. He also has never called any group “Nasty People” as far as I know, even when it would be somewhat justified by the vile things they say about him.

I can understand if someone says, “I don’t like that Pope Francis is always emphasizing climate change rather than this other issue that I personally think is more important” but when you start throwing around words like “Fear mongering”, “Condemning as nasty people” etc you lose credibility because you do sound really uncharitable as well as hyperbolic.

Also, even if you don’t care for this particular Pope, you should have some respect for the office of the Supreme Pontiff. He is the Vicar of Christ on earth.

Last edited:
How would you compare the laity today with the Laity of 50 - 75 years ago? Think about acceptance of abortion, divorce rates, premarital sex, contraception, attendance at Mass, going to Confession, etc.
Oh, boy, my friend, don’t even get me started on that one! I haven’t had enough coffee yet this morning… :coffee:
Thus, short lines for Confessions, that’s the only place in 2020 where we can’t confess the sins of other persons.
Brilliant turn of phrase! You’re one sharp guy.

How would you compare the laity today with the Laity of 50 - 75 years ago?
And don’t get me started on the Catholics of 75+ years ago who made up the Italian and Spanish militaries, and probably a significant portion of the German.

40.png
commenter:
How would you compare the laity today with the Laity of 50 - 75 years ago?
And don’t get me started on the Catholics of 75+ years ago who made up the Italian and Spanish militaries, and probably a significant portion of the German.
If they were drafted, or even “voluntold” to join the military by their regimes, then the mere fact of them being in military service, was blameless. I’m not sure that Catholic moral theology approves of draftees refusing military service because the regime in their country is evil.

The clergy are public figures and should therefore expect and relish public scrutiny.

Like for example I have pointed out to my friends that Pope Francis (based on his actions) is more concerned about promoting left wing politics (open borders immigration and fear-mongering about climate change) as well as condemning traditional Catholics as nasty people instead of leading the faithful closer to Christ.
See, that’s exactly the sort of overgeneralized, blanket bashing that people find objectionable. Fear-mongering? “Condemning” traditional Catholics as “nasty people”?

A reasonable person is going to read/hear a quote from the Pope, and maybe say “What on earth does he mean by that?” or “I don’t think I agree.” But then, they’ll find out (a) is that actually what he said, (b) what is the context, and (c) what point was he making?
Then one can have a reasonable discussion.

I would say if we adopt this, we also need to extend this to everyone, and not just clergy. Look at the topics on wayward husbands and wives, problematic coworkers, troublesome neighbors, bad politicians (the world news board is rife with topics doing nothing but criticizing). Frankly, if this is the spirit that we should adopt, that board should be shut down. A certain group of posters have ruined that board.

We are not walking in the shoes of any of the types of people listed any more than we are the Pope or clergy, so who are we to criticize?

Now, if all we do is provide recommendations for action, so be it.

I would say often, the things posted are to comfort/assuage/confirm silent lurkers who never post. And there is often comfort in knowing others feel as you do, or getting confirmation of something that seems off to you. So there is certainly value beyond just shouting to have your voice heard on a myriad of things.

Last edited:
The way the laity addressed clergy is what turned me off of Catholic twitter. I was completely appalled by the way people addressed them. I still have an account there but I’m only communicating with any clergy to just offer words of encouragement and offerings of prayer.

Very, VERY careful wording with charity as a concerned member of the faithful if your conscience dictates it and after a great deal of prayer, I think is fine. Sometimes the charitable thing to do is to express concern.

But I have never seen anything accomplished with rudeness and vicious language. You can accomplish so much more with charity and civility. Anything else will get you blocked online, or ignored in real life.

Here’s something I saw a few months ago in a well attended church which is considered “normal” in our diocese. I wonder if you would regard this as abuse:

At the end of Mass, the priest (a Redemptorist) announced that he would need four volunteers to act as extraordinary ministers. Four came forward.

Then the priest announced that everyone was welcome to receive holy communion even if they felt unworthy or had not been to Mass for a very long time.

After that the communion was administered. One of the volunteers clearly didn’t know that you cannot administer communion in both kinds to yourself by intinction. In the confusion the precious blood was spilled but no one did anything about it. I only learned this later or I would have.

The chalices were placed, unpurified, on a table at the foot of the steps.

The priest then told a joke before giving the blessing. The chalices were then carried out of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back