R
Robyn_p
Guest
I addressed this in my first post, post #19. I’d appreciate if you responded to it. The writers I linked to I think present a good argument on how the two are compatible.Oh I don’t think protestants like the Anglicans will have any difficulty reconciling things like this with their teachings, after all they’ve never claimed inerrancy and have modified several of their practices when new developments in social justice, theology or the sciences have come to light. The Catholic church however will find some unease explaining this in relation to the Dogma of Papal Infalliability however.
Was it Pius XII who wrote regarding evolution? How it is acceptable to hold to “Theistic Evolution” so long as belief remained that Adam and Eve was the common source of all humanity (I honestly do not recall, but one of them did). To deny the literal parenthood of Adam and Eve of all humanity was clearly labelled a heretical proposition.
I don’t think most non-literalist Christians, or most Cafateria Catholics for that matter will care. It does pose a problem for those who say the Church cannot err in matters of faith, because in this case it clearly has.
Also, Pius XII never made it heretical, he specifically avoids using that language, as I explain in my post. So papal infallibility is not an issue here either.