Where did the ‘prosperity gospel’ come from?

• Thread starter Thread starter 1Lord1Faith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

1Lord1Faith

I’ve recently been wondering about this. I think Joel Osteen is a popular example of this type of preaching. I used to listen to him and found him somewhat inspiring and insightful, but he doesn’t go much deeper than “your best days are ahead of you”. Another example I can think of is Joyce Meyer.

Aside from those two, is this some sort of modern genre of preaching or does it have roots going back farther?

Last edited:
I’m only guessing that this came out of Calvinist teachings promulgated by the likes of Max Weber who embraced the notion of a Protestant work ethic and predestination. There is a strong under-current among some Calvinists that some of “the elect” are destined for wealth and greatness and these people are chosen by God. Similarly, some ore predestined for servitude and struggle. The principle of being 'born again" therefore helps to segregate the chosen from the multitude who are destined for an inferior existence.

That was pretty good. Thank you.

After reading that it seems like Scientology’s beliefs are related to the whole prosperity gospel movement.

I’m only guessing that this came out of Calvinist teachings promulgated by the likes of Max Weber who embraced the notion of a Protestant work ethic and predestination. There is a strong under-current among some Calvinists that some of “the elect” are destined for wealth and greatness and these people are chosen by God. Similarly, some ore predestined for servitude and struggle. The principle of being 'born again" therefore helps to segregate the chosen from the multitude who are destined for an inferior existence.
I don’t think this comes out of the Calvinist camp. I cannot think of any major Calvinist thinker that preaches this way. From what I have seen this is far more prevalent in the charismatic/non-denominational movement because they don’t have a basic confession of faith from which they draw their theology, nor do they typically have well grounded seminaries from which they draw their clergy. Then there is always the sinful misuse of scripture for personal gain which even Paul mentions in his epistles when speaking of some who have twisted the scriptures in his day. This particular strain is peculiar, but its not new.

Last edited:
The “Word of Faith” movement was a furor in the 70’s, Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth Hagan, Katherine Kuhlman, Jimmy Swaggart, The Bakers, etc. MLM groups like Amway tossed in for good measure.

It comes from misinterpretation of their pivotol scripture, Malachi chapter 3.

It leads to despair, because if I am sick, poor, ugly, it is because my faith is not good enough. Run as far away from this falsehood as you can!!

A combination of eisegesis and greed; often perfected by televangelists.

Do not put the LORD your God to the test,
Deacon Christopher

I was actually thinking something about that, watching something about the book of Job, And I thought to myself, “wait a minute how did the health and wealth people deal with this”.

Roots? Virtually every error we see today was granted license 503 years ago by the European rebellion, euphemistically referred to as “Reform.”

“Reform” is a doubled edged sword: It can be used to slice off the error and restore the original form (Catholic reformation), or it can be used to cut the roots, thus guaranteeing the error of theological entropy.

Last edited:
is this some sort of modern genre of preaching or does it have roots going back farther?
This is an interview of historian Kate Bowler, author of Blessed: A History of the American Prosperity Gospel. She goes into several things that contributed to prosperity theology’s formation in the early 20th century. Short story: a combination of Pentecostalism, New Thought and a secular American philosophy of “pragmatism, individualism and upward mobility.” The interview is half an hour long.

Last edited:
There is a strong under-current among some Calvinists that some of “the elect” are destined for wealth and greatness and these people are chosen by God.
This could have been true at certain times among some Calvinists, but the prosperity theology that you see on TBN, Joel Osteen, etc. is as far from Calvinism as you can get. These are generally Arminian (free will) and charismatic in their orientation.

Last edited:
I’m only guessing that this came out of Calvinist teachings promulgated by the likes of Max Weber who embraced the notion of a Protestant work ethic and predestination. There is a strong under-current among some Calvinists that some of “the elect” are destined for wealth and greatness and these people are chosen by God.
I’d be curious to see research that tied Weber’s seminal work “The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism” (in which he attributes the growth of capitalism itself to - among other things - Protestant ideas and concepts (in great contrast with say…Marxism) with the “Prosperity Gospel.”

One of the ways in which works - of any kind - filter their way into Calvinist thought is best depicted in this - from the Westminster Confession of Faith:

“These good works, done in obedience to God’s commandments, are the fruits and evidences of a true and lively faith: and by them believers manifest their thankfulness, strengthen their assurance, edify their brethren, adorn the profession of the Gospel…”

The “work” ethic is thus derived from the idea that works are evidence of faith. This concept filters through all we do - our stewardship of our time, talent and treasure is evidence of a lively faith. We are looking for evidence of our faith IN SPITE OF our circumstances. Calvinism thus argues that - among other things - True Faith produces WORK.

Prosperity Gospel is quite the opposite. It says that God wants me to be rich. Further - he promises to make me rich - and in so doing make my life easier - and more comfortable. It argues that we deserve to be rich and comfortable. Freedom in the gospel’s payoff is comfort and wealth. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Prosperity Gospel argues that Faith produces COMFORT.

If you want to read about what Protestants should and do think about our faith in terms of “prosperity”, read Bonhoeffer’s “The Cost of Discipleship”. Here’s a quote therefrom:

"Cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.

Costly grace is the treasure hidden in the field; for the sake of it a man will go and sell all that he has. It is the pearl of great price to buy which the merchant will sell all his goods. It is the kingly rule of Christ, for whose sake a man will pluck out the eye which causes him to stumble; it is the call of Jesus Christ at which the disciple leaves his nets and follows him."

Last edited:
I don’t see a similarity to Scientology but rather “The Secret.”

I thought that in Scientology people could purchase a higher position in their version of the afterlife. It was also started around the same time as some of the other “right thinking” movements. But, I don’t really know anything about it.

What is “The Secret”?

Short story: a combination of Pentecostalism, New Thought and a secular American philosophy of “pragmatism, individualism and upward mobility.”
Does current Pentecostalism resemble today’s prosperity preaching?

Last edited:
What was quoted to me about this was, " He came that we might have life and have it more abundantly"

Does current Pentecostalism resemble today’s prosperity preaching?
It’s been very influential within the Pentecostal Movement, but not all Pentecostals teach prosperity theology.

For example, the founders of TBN (the Crouches) and the founders of PTL (Jim and Tammy Faye Baker) were Assemblies of God. Oral Roberts was Pentecostal Holiness and later Methodist (long story that one). T. D. Jakes is a Oneness Pentecostal.

But other prominent Pentecostals have been deeply opposed, such as David Wilkerson, who was also Assemblies of God. Jimmy Swaggart is a televangelist who has been critical of many of the aspects of prosperity teaching.

So, contemporary Pentecostalism is a mixed bag. You will find Pentecostals deeply influenced by prosperity teachings and others who are against it. In general, the established denominations (like Assemblies of God, Church of God, etc.) try to distance themselves from it, but the more independent ministries and churches (the ones you frequently see on TV) are often strong proponents of it.

But, it’s also important to point out that Mainline Protestants have also had a version of this. Norman Vincent Peale, a Methodist minister, wrote an extremely popular book in 1952 called The Power of Positive Thinking: A Practical Guide to Mastering the Problems of Everyday Living. So, this kind of thinking has permeated American culture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back