I asked “Why” in response to your post below:
Originally Posted by BrianH
Athanasius (sp?) compiled the first list I believe of the 27 New Testament books. Because he was a Bishop in Alexandria, I guess I am having a hard time saying the Catholic Church can claim him…
I wondered why you were having a hard time saything the Catholic Church can claim him, in response to where we got the Bible.
I gave you an answer why you should not have a hard time with St. Athanasious being a Church Father:
*He is a father of the Catholic Church. He was responsible for countering many heresies, including Arianism which claimed Jesus was not equal to God.
It never the less was the only text approved by the Pope and generally accepted by Christians for 1400 years. There were heretical “Bibles” around, yes. St. Jerome was commissioned by Pope Damasus I to compile and translate the various texts from Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic into Latin. This edition is know as the Vulgate because it was written in the common language of the peope. This was so ALL could read it in a more cohesive manner. Before this, the writings were written on scrolls, made of papyrus, which easily deteriorated and were hard to use.
There is no arrogance in allowing God to accomplish what He will. He accomplished giving Scripture to the world through the Catholic Church, which not only compiled and translated it. The CC also safe guarded it and copied during the various invasions by Barbarians, copied it by hand, using illustrations for those who could not read.
From the Catholic Christian perspective, ML TOOK the Bible, changed it, and claimed HE gave the Bible to the world.*