Where do you find used Catholic books?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seeker63
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeker63

Guest
Where, apart obviously from used book stores, can you find good used Catholic books, especially older titles. One thing I’d like to get is a Knox translation of the Bible.
 
40.png
seeker63:
Where, apart obviously from used book stores, can you find good used Catholic books, especially older titles. One thing I’d like to get is a Knox translation of the Bible.
If you go to either Amazon or Barnes & Noble websites, they have a used section, which searches through titles from many, many booksellers who offer very good prices. I’ve bought a number of “hard to find” titles this way.
 
Here’s another internet source:

alibris.com/

They have a network of independent sellers in the same manner as Amazon.com. I bought a used book through one of the independents, and was very pleased.
 
Well, I used to work as an out-of-print book searcher. I know where to go for used books if I’m looking for a particular title. I was just wondering if there was any source for specifically Catholic used books, some place where I could browse their lists of holdings. It’s one thing to look for a specific book and that only–I’d like to be able to stumble across books I don’t know I want.
 
Do you need that 13th century psalter?

Do you need a 19th century Mennonite prayer book?

Do you need anything Catholic in or out of print?

Check out Loomis Theological Booksellers in Stillwater, Minnesota. 👍

loomebooks.com/

If they don’t have it, only the Vatican’s Secret Archives does.

😛
 
Man, your little smiley face is right—I had my tongue hanging out of my mouth while looking at that site. Many thanks. If I had a credit card I’d get myself into a lifetime of debt in about 30 minutes in a place like that.
 
I sell used catholic books–i have several thousand, not all on the internet yet–i have 2 new testaments translated by knox–i do not have a complete bible at the moment but i have had some in the past—my website (unfinished) but you can search my inventory is www.catholicbooks.ca
 
You could visit a seminary and ask when they’re throwing out the next bunch of old books! 😉

They said in their heart, the whole kindred of them together: Let us abolish all the festival days of God from the land. Ps 73:8
 
I’ve used by AddAll and AbeBooks - highly recommend both.

(and if ya’ll ever run across copies of the Annuario Pontificio - I’m always looking for those 😉
 
If you just want to read some good Catholic books … but can’t afford to buy them.

Maybe your parish Catholic Church has a library?

Try your local public library. I recently borrowed Fulton Sheen’s autobiography “Treasure in Clay”. It is such a good book. I also found a few other Fulton Sheen and Benedict Groeschel books at the county public library.
 
40.png
jmm08:
If you just want to read some good Catholic books … but can’t afford to buy them.

Maybe your parish Catholic Church has a library?

Try your local public library. I recently borrowed Fulton Sheen’s autobiography “Treasure in Clay”. It is such a good book. I also found a few other Fulton Sheen and Benedict Groeschel books at the county public library.
You can down load lots of great old classics Here for free. 😉
 
“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”—Erasmus

Oh, I’m a book-buyer. I’m the kind of person who, when he checks something out of the library, then decides he has to go buy a copy, so no, the library never saves me any money ultimately. Besides, I’m always wanting a particular quotation at 3am.

We have a nice little parish library I just started looking at. I just need to get by there during its limited hours of operation.

I picked up a copy of “Treasure in Clay” off ebay awhile back, but haven’t gotten a chance to read it yet, which is odd, considering how much I love Archbishop Sheen.

I was horrified to learn that about 7 or 8 years ago one of the Churches in my diocese tossed out a complete set of the original edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia!!!

I keep my Catholic books by my bed. The shelves are groaning. I may soon have to start accepting bids for the construction of a little tram-way so I can get over the books to the bed at night.
 
A pleasant surprise for me is that Half Price Books carries used Catholic books. Not a big selection, but a fun browse if you enjoy a bit of serenpidity.

Since this thread is 3.5 years old, I will go ahead and give my (unasked for) impressions on some of the previous recommendations:

dogbert.abebooks.com/
A used book online aggregator - they present the inventories of numerous independent book shops and allow you to buy from those shops with ease. I have used them before and had no problems with them. Since they are a general used book source you may have to be specific about what you are searching - for example, typing “benedictine” in the subject line will give you lots of books in which you may not be interested.

www.catholicbooks.ca
This site doesn’t look as if it has been maintained for a couple years. Sadly, it does not allow you you to search by subject, you need to know a title or author. It is part of the Biblio.com family - another used book online aggregator.

used.addall.com/
They appear to be a meta-search company, which searches the catalogs of other online used book aggregators such as Biblio.com or abebooks.com

loomebooks.com/
Ah! A pilgrimage to Stillwater awaits me. This large used and antiquarian book store specializes in religious books. Should I ever be near Minneapolis, I will be forced to stop by and spend a day browsing.

alibris.com/
Similar to abebooks.com or to amazon.com’s used book service, or to biblio.com etc. A used book book online aggregator.

Happy reading everyone! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top