Where is Catholicism in the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Allan1972
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Mary already was in heaven. why would you pray to her when you have access to the Father, through Jesus Chris? The bible says that. Just pray to God yourself.
the point is stop asking or trying to talk to mary.
Any Friend of God’s is a Friend of mine ← clickable link

In 1 Timothy it says that Jesus is our sole mediator, yet we (Catholics) pray to Mary and the Saints. Is that going against the Bible? ← clickable link
 
I think it would be best not to prove a point. Large fonts appear to be annoying or hostile to others.

The best way is just to reason with them. Use logic and other means to defend your faith; with charity of course.
Last I checked the Netiquette guide, large fonts means the sight-impaired has written the email/post. However, if done in all caps, that is yelling and should be avoided. :confused:
 
Mannyfit75
Senior Member
Catholic Church has 2,000 yrs of experience compared to Protestantism which started in 1516 during the Reformation.
From what I know of world history the Catholic Church is not the same as it was when it started. It is perverted. Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever, but the catholic church keeps getting more deceived. For example, in america we speak english, so why would anyone need to know latin. what is latin good for. How can you expect to save people, if they don’t know what you’re talking about.
 
From what I know of world history the Catholic Church is not the same as it was when it started.
Of course it is not a replica of the early Church, but the truths about Christ it teaches are the same.
It is perverted. Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever, but the catholic church keeps getting more deceived.
Easily asserted. Now let’s see proof:
For example, in america we speak english, so why would anyone need to know latin. what is latin good for. How can you expect to save people, if they don’t know what you’re talking about.
This is your proof? Who said the Church must evangelize in Latin?

Scott
 
From what I know of world history the Catholic Church is not the same as it was when it started. It is perverted. Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever, but the catholic church keeps getting more deceived. For example, in america we speak english, so why would anyone need to know latin. what is latin good for. How can you expect to save people, if they don’t know what you’re talking about.
Jesus Christ entrusted Peter to feed his sheep. Jesus is indeed the same yesterday, today and forever.

The Catholic Church is not deceptive. It is you who view it as deceptive. I would also warm you not to mock our belief, which you are pretty close of doing.

I don’t nor other Catholics have not so far mock your faith by calling it deceiving.

Latin is ancient of Rome. There is no law in the Catholic Church that requires one to learn Latin. It’s not mandatory.

For those who want to know Scripture and earn a doctorate degree, they ought to learn Latin, Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.

Your comment of saying we are deceiving and perverting is in violation of ROC # 7.

RULE OF CONDUCT

7. Non-Catholics are welcome to participate but must be respectful of the faith of the Catholics participating on the board.​

 
As someone has already said James 5:14 uses in the Greek presbyteros. Presbyteros and priest are synonyms (meaning they are different words that mean the same thing, so the Bible does have the word priest in it). However, it’s very bad theology to use the argument that the “word” has to be in the Bible and if it isn’t then it’s not part of Christian truth. If that were so, there would be a lot of Scriptural words not found in the Bible, but yet are concepts that all Christians agree (well most save original sin) on even though these words aren’t found in the Bible, e.g., Trinity, original sin, incarnation, hypostatic union and other terms you may be familiar with like Sunday School and altar call. Perhaps, what you could look for in Scripture is if the concept of the particular term is found there and that would make that particular concept Scriptural even though the word itself isn’t.
If that isn’t good theology, then what is good theology?

I did make a typo about jesus I meant to say Mary was the Mother of Jesus.

please don’t make asumptions about my beliefe, people keep talking about protestants. i never said i was a protestant, I am a Christian. that’s all you need to know about my religion. don’t ask me anything except for the bible

as far as the trinity is concerned, the word isn’t in the bible, so i don’t talk about it.
 
Several posts have been deleted and one has been edited due to the low level of charity that I see here.

Next time I find such. Penalties will follow.
MF
 
From what I know of world history the Catholic Church is not the same as it was when it started. It is perverted. Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever, but the catholic church keeps getting more deceived. For example, in america we speak english, so why would anyone need to know latin. what is latin good for. How can you expect to save people, if they don’t know what you’re talking about.
Okay - SHOW me HOW it is not the same and HOW it got “perverted”. I can say the same thing about any subject.
Enlighten me with the truth - otherwise you’re an empty barrel. Like the old saying goes, "Empty barrels make the most noise."
You’re fond of saying that the bible is the truth.
If so, take HEED the words of St. Peter:

1 Peter3:15-26

**Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope, **
**but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame. **

You are welcome on these forums to discuss the faith - even debate it. But, if you are simply here to attack - I fear you’re out-gunned, my friend.
 
If that isn’t good theology, then what is good theology?

I did make a typo about jesus I meant to say Mary was the Mother of Jesus.

please don’t make asumptions about my beliefe, people keep talking about protestants. i never said i was a protestant, I am a Christian. that’s all you need to know about my religion. don’t ask me anything except for the bible

as far as the trinity is concerned, the word isn’t in the bible, so i don’t talk about it.
Whether you believe it nor not, you are a Protestant.

The Pillars of Protestantism is:
  1. Sola Fidis (Faith Alone)
  2. Sola Scriptura (Bible Alone)
They do not believe in the authority of the Church. To me, you are a Protestant Christian.
 
Okay - SHOW me HOW it is not the same and HOW it got “perverted”. I can say the same about anything.
Enlighten me with the truth - otherwise you’re an empty barrel. Like the old saying goes, "Empty barrels make the most noise."
You are welcome on these forums to discuss the faith - even debate it. But, if you are simply here to attack - I fear you’re out-gunned, my friend.
you know I read this whole thread…and posters are asking questions of the OP and he is just ignoring them and throwing out more garbage that he picked up from some website:eek:
 
vice·ge·rent /vaɪsˈdʒɪərənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vahys-jeer-uhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
  1. an officer appointed as deputy by and to a sovereign or supreme chief.
  2. a deputy in general.
    –adjective
  3. exercising delegated powers.
  4. characterized by delegation of powers.
    [Origin: 1530–40; < NL vicegerent- (s. of vicegeréns managing instead of), equiv. to L vice (see vice3) + gerent- (s. of geréns, prp. of gerere to carry on, conduct); see -ent]
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Simon, you have misinterpretted the term.
 
We Catholics don’t believe she is dead. We believed she was assumed body and soul into heaven by Jesus.

Second, we ask her to pray for us, or ask for petition for our behalf to the King, Jesus.

It’s not like calling the spirits of the dead which is called divination. The CCC condemns the divination.

Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.[48] Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.
I’ve read this and it sounds like whoever wrote it knows what they’re talking about. But he got from the scripture, so can everybody else. what he should have done is just tell people where he found it in the bible. I know the same things that he does, but I learned just by reading the bible. do you see what I’m saying. I starts getting confusing when people start quoting from authors not in the bible. All you need is in the bible. Its all there. its complete.
 
Saul did not pray to a Saint in heaven. He went to visit a “woman that hath a divining spirit at Endor.” This is a sin. This would be like consulting a fortune teller or playing with an Ouija board.
That’s exactly what I was saying. People shouldn’t be trying to talk to Mary. Jesus said to pray to the father.
 
":
Saul did not pray to a Saint in heaven. He went to visit a “woman that hath a divining spirit at Endor.” This is a sin. This would be like consulting a fortune teller or playing with an Ouija board
That’s exactly what I was saying. People shouldn’t be trying to talk to Mary. Jesus said to pray to the father.
:rotfl:
Praying to Mary is not the same as fortune telling or using a Ouija board…you keep missing that point.

Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC 2559) Prayer… is the raising of one’s mind and heart to God or the requesting of good things from God.”
But when we pray, do we speak from the height of our pride and will, or “out of the depths” of a humble and contrite heart? He who humbles himself will be exalted; *humility *is the foundation of prayer, Only when we humbly acknowledge that “we do not know how to pray as we ought,” are we ready to receive freely the gift of prayer. “Man is a beggar before God.”
 
I’ve read this and it sounds like whoever wrote it knows what they’re talking about. But he got from the scripture, so can everybody else. what he should have done is just tell people where he found it in the bible. I know the same things that he does, but I learned just by reading the bible. do you see what I’m saying. I starts getting confusing when people start quoting from authors not in the bible. All you need is in the bible. Its all there. its complete.
I got those from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

It covers our belief. There is plenty of reference on the Scripture, Early Church Father’s writings, Encyclicals, Magisterium document of the Church.

It’s format setup is the Nicene Creed, and breaks it down, line by line.
 
It’s not necromancy dude, you need to understand the Communion of Saints.

If our dead brothers and sisters are not aware of us then why does Hebrews 12:1 say that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses in our race for the Kingdomof God?

Ever seen a race?
Did the “witnesses” (fans) just sit there?
Do you think that the rest of the body of Christ in Heaven, would do less for us as they witness our race for eternity?

Romans 8:38: For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39: nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Pax tecum,
Your scriptures aren’t enough proof to me. someone else was quoting scriptures from revelations and if was going to trust anything it would be that, but revelations is to hard for me to understand right now. I haven’t had a chance to study it that well yet. I need better proof.
 
Your scriptures aren’t enough proof to me. someone else was quoting scriptures from revelations and if was going to trust anything it would be that, but revelations is to hard for me to understand right now. I haven’t had a chance to study it that well yet. I need better proof.
A typical dodge.

When one makes an effort one need only state. “It is not enough”. :rolleyes:
 
I don’t see it anywhere. And if it’s not in the bible, its false doctrine. .
Hi Allen,

Welcome to Catholic Forums. You might want to think about this; the word Bible is not mentioned in the Bible, does that make it a false doctrine? The word incarnation is not mentioned in the Bible, does that make it a false doctrine? The word Trinity is not mentioned in the Bible, does that make it a false doctrine.

The Bible itself says that not everything is contained in the Bible.

I think if you give your logic a studious assessment, you may find that it needs some work.

Anyway, welcome againto Catholic Forums brother and enjoy your visit.

May the grace of Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you always.

Your brother in Christ.
 
I’ve read this and it sounds like whoever wrote it knows what they’re talking about. But he got from the scripture, so can everybody else. what he should have done is just tell people where he found it in the bible. I know the same things that he does, but I learned just by reading the bible. do you see what I’m saying. I starts getting confusing when people start quoting from authors not in the bible. All you need is in the bible. Its all there. its complete.
Actually it is the interpretation that is crucial, authentic interpretation.

You stated you don’t see the catholic church in the bible, however we see it everywhere in the bible unmistakedly. Which interpetation is correct and how do we determine that?

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top