H
Horizon18
Guest
Hey everyone,
So I’m a Catholic man in my late 20s who’s facing a bit of disappointment lately in terms of dating prospects. Specifically, Catholic dating prospects.
From high school through graduate school, getting dates was easy. I’m confident, very social, and (not to sound vain) I get noticed. I didn’t go to Catholic schools and fell away in many ways, including how I pursued relationships.
As I’ve come back to the Church in the last couple years, I’ve really tried to get into the “settling down” mindset and find a Catholic woman who would be a good partner. Mindful that I’ve been far from perfect, I’ve always been open to meeting someone who’s also come back to their faith. I’ve changed my priorities so that I look for faithfulness first.
So here’s my problem… I can find and date plenty of great ladies in my large city, but a good Catholic girl has eluded me so far. My archdiocese places less than zero emphasis on matchmaking (and singles in general). The women I meet through Church young adults groups are good people, but they fall into three groups I don’t want to get involved with: 1) those who have been totally mistreated and hurt by jerks and are somewhat damaged/broken emotionally, 2) those who have extreme temperaments (either towards passivity or control), and 3) those who seem to be straight and interested in men but just don’t make romance a priority (future spinsters?). I’m less picky than this sounds… these are traits that will sabotage any relationship.
Occasionally I’ve found a gem who’s emotionally healthy, moderate in her temperament, and also romantic/affectionate. Basically a really cool girl who happens to be Catholic. I’ve only met a couple of these girls, but as is often the case when you’re dealing with small numbers, I haven’t found the right one. I dated a great lady like this for over a year before she discerned that religious life was her calling.
I’m frustrated that I’m looking in all the right places and I’m still single. I could date some very committed Protestants tomorrow. They would be cute, smart, committed to Christ, but not Catholic. I’m basically at the point where I feel like God has always called me to have a family and I have no idea why he hasn’t put a great Catholic woman in my path to make that happen. At this point, I’m thinking that dropping Catholicism as an absolute criterion is a good decision. I know some of you may think I should just “wait until God delivers” but honestly, I don’t feel that I’m living out my calling that way.
I’ve prayed a lot about this, but I’m still undecided.
Any thoughts?
So I’m a Catholic man in my late 20s who’s facing a bit of disappointment lately in terms of dating prospects. Specifically, Catholic dating prospects.
From high school through graduate school, getting dates was easy. I’m confident, very social, and (not to sound vain) I get noticed. I didn’t go to Catholic schools and fell away in many ways, including how I pursued relationships.
As I’ve come back to the Church in the last couple years, I’ve really tried to get into the “settling down” mindset and find a Catholic woman who would be a good partner. Mindful that I’ve been far from perfect, I’ve always been open to meeting someone who’s also come back to their faith. I’ve changed my priorities so that I look for faithfulness first.
So here’s my problem… I can find and date plenty of great ladies in my large city, but a good Catholic girl has eluded me so far. My archdiocese places less than zero emphasis on matchmaking (and singles in general). The women I meet through Church young adults groups are good people, but they fall into three groups I don’t want to get involved with: 1) those who have been totally mistreated and hurt by jerks and are somewhat damaged/broken emotionally, 2) those who have extreme temperaments (either towards passivity or control), and 3) those who seem to be straight and interested in men but just don’t make romance a priority (future spinsters?). I’m less picky than this sounds… these are traits that will sabotage any relationship.
Occasionally I’ve found a gem who’s emotionally healthy, moderate in her temperament, and also romantic/affectionate. Basically a really cool girl who happens to be Catholic. I’ve only met a couple of these girls, but as is often the case when you’re dealing with small numbers, I haven’t found the right one. I dated a great lady like this for over a year before she discerned that religious life was her calling.
I’m frustrated that I’m looking in all the right places and I’m still single. I could date some very committed Protestants tomorrow. They would be cute, smart, committed to Christ, but not Catholic. I’m basically at the point where I feel like God has always called me to have a family and I have no idea why he hasn’t put a great Catholic woman in my path to make that happen. At this point, I’m thinking that dropping Catholicism as an absolute criterion is a good decision. I know some of you may think I should just “wait until God delivers” but honestly, I don’t feel that I’m living out my calling that way.
I’ve prayed a lot about this, but I’m still undecided.
Any thoughts?