=Randy Carson;7623658]When you are dialoguing with a non-Catholic Christian and you want to argue for the truth of Catholicism (as opposed to Mere Christianity), what verse(s) do you like to begin with, and how do you build your argument?
Hi Randy; another GREAT queston!
For me it depends on how much I know about the persons previous Faith-Formation. I try to assertain this before I start.
If it is an unchurched person I start by explaining the bible, with some basic bible history.How it is set up; and how to use thwe bible. I find it valuable to establish a few basic Understanding The Bible RULES.
2 Tim. 3;16-17, Peters advice about self-interpetation, and that 'no One passage can contradict another passage; because this would completely nullify the value of the bible as a valid Teaching and learning tool.
I’m sure to include the fact that Christ Himself acts a surety of the COMPLETE TRUTH of ALL CC Teachings on the catagories of Faith and Morals.
**John 14: 16-17 ** And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, **to be with you for ever, **even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you.
**John 17: 14-19 **“I have given them thy word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not pray that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth.
18 As thou didst send me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth.”
2 Tim.3: 16 to 17:“All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
2 Pet.1: 20 "First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, " **2nd. Pet.3: 3, 16 ** “First of all you must understand this, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own passions speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures”
Then I proceed to establishing ONLY One new Church. Followed by Explaining Peters Role, and the Role of the Other Apostles. Using the Bible exclusively and exrensively at this juncture.
Often using these verses:
John 10:16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd.
Eph. 2:19-20 “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, [singular] built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; [singular] in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. “
Eph. 4: 4 -8 “There is one body [Only One Church] and one Spirit, [Only One set of beliefs] just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, [Only One God] ONLY one faith, [Only One set of doctrine and dogma] one baptism, By water in the Trinity] one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. "
With someone comming from another faith practice; I’l usually start by asking what they know about the CC, and what questions do you have? And give asurance that WE WILL cover ALL those issues for them.
Then I pretty much start the same way as I do the “unchurched.” IF, the person is “hung up” on a incorrect understanding; like of Mary, the Eucharist, Confession; OSAS, or Faith Alone; I’ll do a brief explaination; always using the Bible to support our positions; until Faith understanding is suficient to include other sources like our catechism. I find this necessary just to gain control of the dialog.
I have developed a alphabetical Bible verse reference document so I can quickly find what I’m looking for, by topic.
I do try to leave “holes” in my explainations to encourage questions and keep it personal.
I’m looking forward to reading other ideas and practices.
And I try very hard to cover ONLY one topic at a time; until we reach an understanding of it.
It’s important to understand that unless otherwise demonistrated, all of them know little about the WHYS of our Faith practice. So be patient; KIND, and COMPLETE.