Where to begin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that you posted this from Bishop Fulton Sheen, as I posted it too in a Spanish forum a couple of days ago. That forum is run by protestants though. The posters I had been discussing with have remained silent after I posted it, with the exception of a new debater who wrote a brief reply, which I answered right away and he also has been silent since.

If you read Spanish you can read it here.
Similar things could be said about others. The Mormons, for example, are often castigated for their stance against homosexual marriage and are hardly admired by the world at-large. Also, everytime the pope makes a visit to our shores I have observed that he is treated by the media like some sort of Hollywood star. This is a little bit different than what Bishop Sheen suggests.
 
Interesting, except the passage in Daniel is not speaking about Israel, but rather Babylon.
Was the King of Babylon also the King of Israel?

At that time, I suppose he was. I concede that, in this case, given the circumstances, the King of Babylon, being as he was also the King of Israel, could have been directly appointed by God to the leadership of the Old Testament Church, even though he was not even Jewish.
I’ll take that as a yes; you do disagree with Daniel and Jesus.
What exactly do I “disagree” with? :confused:

God permits the civil government - He does not actually establish the people in it. God did not elect President Obama - the voting public of the United States did that, using their God-given free will.
I don’t want to put words in your mouth, however, so please explain why in your response you directly contradict the words of Christ. You are beginning to sound like a deist to me.
I’m not sure how deism enters into it.

You, however, are sounding like an Albigensian - does God micromanage every movement of every person? Is He responsible for their sins? Is God a puppet master who forces men and women to vote for a particular candidate, while deceiving them into thinking that they have free will? 🤷
 
Ok. Yes, you are correct. Since Jesus is the Head of the Church, and her Soul is the Holy Spirit, if she is teaching us something it is, by definition, infallible (the Divne cannot err). So yes, you are correct. If God is asking me to do something and I don’t understand, the appropriate thing for me to do is to obey, and pray that understanding will come.
It sounds like you understand why the ideas of papal infallibility and an indefectible Sacred Magisterium are key to any discussion on church authority between Catholics and Protestants. If you are trying to clarify my original statement, however, I think you are off by quite a bit. The response is somewhat…unorthodox. The soul of the Church is the Holy Spirit? That does not sound theologically correct. It sounds more like you are confusing the Church with God. I hope I am stating the obvious when I say that they are two distinct entities.
 
The soul of the Church is the Holy Spirit?
The Church is the Body of Christ. The soul of His Body is the Holy Spirit. Remember, Christ’s humanity was generated by the Holy Spirit, from the DNA of Mary’s body. The Church (and especially the Sacraments) is His continuing physical self-expression in the world.
That does not sound theologically correct. It sounds more like you are confusing the Church with God. I hope I am stating the obvious when I say that they are two distinct entities.
Not at all. To borrow from computer terminology, the Church is the “avatar” of God on earth - this is why we call it the Body of Christ. It mediates God’s word to us, in forms of communication that we can easily understand (rituals, doctrine, artistic expression, Scripture, …) - all of these things come from God.
 
The Church is the Body of Christ. The soul of His Body is the Holy Spirit. Remember, Christ’s humanity was generated by the Holy Spirit, from the DNA of Mary’s body. The Church (and especially the Sacraments) is His continuing physical self-expression in the world.

Not at all. To borrow from computer terminology, the Church is the “avatar” of God on earth - this is why we call it the Body of Christ. It mediates God’s word to us, in forms of communication that we can easily understand (rituals, doctrine, artistic expression, Scripture, …) - all of these things come from God.
Does an avatar have a soul, much less the soul of the person it represents? You and guanophore really need to think through the implications of what you are saying. The Holy Spirit is of the same essence of God the Father and Christ the Son. It is not of the same essence as the Church. The Holy Spirit may indwell His Church and His people individually, but those people still retain their soul and the Holy Spirit does not become their soul. This is logically untenable and theologically dangerous.
 
I agree with you, but your premise is in error. You see, Jesus never promised to keep all the shepherds from falling into sin, or anyone that is in a position of authority, or “governance” (not sure what you mean by that).

The Teaching of the Church is not identical to the governance, which can be easily demonstrted by the fact that so many persons in positions of leadership throughout history have acted in a manner inconsistent with the Teachings of Christ. It is the Teaching that is protected by infallibilty, not the “gnoverment” (whatever that means).
Yes, once again I need to be careful to differentiate between government (i.e. church discipline) and teaching authority of the church. Thanks for keeping me honest. I have in-view the latter of these.
 
Does an avatar have a soul, much less the soul of the person it represents?
The avatar says and does everything that the real person does and says. When you hear the avatar, you are hearing the person himself.

Jesus said to the Apostles, “Whoever hears you, hears Me.” This is His promise to the Bishops.
You and guanophore really need to think through the implications of what you are saying.
Well, as St. Cyprian pointed out in 258 AD (On the Unity of the Church ), the implication is that, He can no longer have God for his Father, who has not the Church for his mother, and Let none think that the good can depart from the Church.

🙂
 
We are really getting into a separate issue here, but since we do not seem to be making alot of headway on the subject for our new topic…
God permits the civil government - He does not actually establish the people in it. God did not elect President Obama - the voting public of the United States did that, using their God-given free will.
Please help me to reconcile what you just said with Romans 13:1: “For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.”
You, however, are sounding like an Albigensian - does God micromanage every movement of every person? Is He responsible for their sins? Is God a puppet master who forces men and women to vote for a particular candidate, while deceiving them into thinking that they have free will? 🤷
Does God micromanage? No, but He is sovereign over all things - He never has to resort to a Plan B. All things proceed according to His divine plan.

Is He responsible for their sins? God forbid. God can use the evil acts of others as materials for His good purposes, yet He remains free from all taint. Nothing could illustrate the point more fully than Christ’s death on a cross. What appeared to be a cosmic defeat, God turned into an eternal and definitive triumph. Consider another example from Job. God allowed the Sabeans to plunder Job’s livestock, yet the Sabeans acted according to their own perverse (free) will and God was in no way culpable. The Sabeans retained their free will while God’s divine plan prevailed.
 
Code:
I am sure if we went down that road we would churn through a discussion that has been aired on this forum countless times before. But then again, do we really expect to come up with something novel here? Randy said there were no RCC teachings that give him pause. There are many teachings that give me pause, but that is expected, right? Likewise, you and Randy do not see any inconsistencies or errors in RCC teaching whereas there are a number of items I find troubling. If we did go down this path, we would probably need to start with some very clear and concise definitions in order to prevent any red herrings or straw men arguments, as you indicated could happen.
[/quotes]

You are in the right place Solus! I think we do need to start a new thread, though. Maybe you could pick just one teaching that “gives pause”?
Solus Christus;7890030:
I would like to preface my response by acknowledging I am certain I am not smarter than the Pope (as I am sure you would all agree 🙂 ). I would also like to add the disclaimer that I do believe there can be great value in scholarship. I absolutely do not disagree. At the same time, however, it is worthwhile to temper that fact with another fact:

Jesus said: “I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.” (Matthew 11:25)

And then we have this: “But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;” (1 Corinthians 1:27)

My point is simply this: We should not confuse “learned” for “impeccable in knowledge” (we probably all know of someone who came out of college more confused than they went in).
This is absolutely Catholic.

We have the fulness of what God has revealed to mankind only because He has taken the initiative to do so, and because He preserves it infallibly in His Church. Yes, we can use our God given intellect to study, and we should, but it is a matter of faith seeking understanding, knowing that who God IS lies way beyond the our puny minds to understand.
Code:
 Secondly, it probably will come as no surprise that our understanding is different concerning what God sees when he looks at man. You call the Pope "very very holy," but I would counter that "We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away." (Isaiah 64:4) If there is any holiness at all, I would argue it is the holiness of Christ: "And because of him you are in **Christ Jesus, who became to us**
wisdom from God,** righteousness **and sanctification and redemption," (1 Corinthians 1:30)

This is not inconsistent with our understanding of holiness. Catholics don’t believe we achieve holiness apart from the Grace God.

I think you are right, though, that we have a different understanding of human nature. The Reformers, especially Calvin, departed from the Apostolic faith in this matter, so all those who have been influenced by Calvanism (as it appears you are) have a distorted notion about humanity.
 
This is not inconsistent with our understanding of holiness. Catholics don’t believe we achieve holiness apart from the Grace God.

I think you are right, though, that we have a different understanding of human nature. The Reformers, especially Calvin, departed from the Apostolic faith in this matter, so all those who have been influenced by Calvanism (as it appears you are) have a distorted notion about humanity.
At a basic level, the RCC teaches the doctrine of Original Sin, so we can at least agree at that level. If you have ever read St. Augustine’s Confessions, the Reformed view is congruent with Augustine’s description of his own sinful nature as a child.

As you mentioned, the Catholic view acknowledges the necessity of God’s grace. The Reformed view is in agreement with this position also. The first point of divergence in our understandings is the extent of the depravity of human nature. The Reformed position takes a much sterner view of human nature than I think the RCC does. Is it a distorted view? Well, the Bible (and therefore God) also takes a pretty stern view of human nature. The Reformed understanding acknowledges that “from this original corruption, whereby we are utterly indisposed, disabled, and made opposite to all good, and wholly inclined to all evil, do proceed all actual transgressions.” This is perfectly in-line with what Scripture reveals about human nature:

Romans 5:6 “For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.”

Romans 7:18 “For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.”

Romans 8:7 “For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot.”

Colossians 1:21 “And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds,”

Gensis 6:5 “The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”

Romans 3:10-12 “as it is written: ‘None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.’”

Matthew 15:19 “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.”

Ephesians 2:2,3 “in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience – among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.”

James 1:14,15 “But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.”

The second point of divergence, as you probably know, is in our understanding of how we are justified. The RCC teaches our righteousness is infused while the Reformed position argues that our righteousness is imputed. Is this a distortion? Well, it is by no means an obscure idea in Scripture. To the contrary it is prolific in the Scriptures:

Jeremiah 23:6, Romans 3:22-28; Romans 4:5-8, Romans 5:8-10, Romans 5:17-19, 1 Corinthians 1:30,31, 2 Corinthians 5:19, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Ephesians 1:7, Titus 3:5, Titus 3:7, Isaiah 53:4-6, Isaiah 53:10-12, Hebrews 10:10, Hebrews 10:14
 
snip…
Romans 3:10-12 “as it is written: ‘None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.’”

Matthew 15:19 “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander.”

snip…
I ask you Solus did you ever do any good before you were saved?
Did you obey your parents? Why did you become a christian after hearing God’s word did you not seek God?

How many did you murder before you became a christian, how many times did you commit adultry,how much did you steal? you get the point.😛
 
Doesn’t the “RCC” (as Solus likes to incorrectly refer to the entire Catholic Church as when he should actually abbreviate it as CC) take the position that we are inherently good? Meaning that everything we ever do is because of our desire for God, which is good to do? Even things that appear bad, are actually done for our good. Take suicide for instance. The person that commits it is eliminating the bad thing(s) he is trying to escape in search of something better. Apply that reasoning to anything bad; murder, lust, theft, etc. “Our hearts are restless until they rest in You, O Lord.” - Saint Augustine.
 
I ask you Solus did you ever do any good before you were saved?
Did you obey your parents? Why did you become a christian after hearing God’s word did you not seek God?

How many did you murder before you became a christian, how many times did you commit adultry,how much did you steal? you get the point.😛
So I assume you are disagreeing with Paul here? That sure is what it sounds like.

Jesus, while He was here on earth, attempted to make plain the perfect standards of God. The Pharisees thought they could improve upon God’s perfect standard (or at least lend clarity) by taking what was given by God in the books of the Law (Deuteronomy, Leviticus, etc.) and translating them into every conceivable area of life (what we call legalism). Far from improving or lending clarity, however, this tradition actually worked contrary to God’s Law (Matthew 15:6).

Christ corrected the Pharisees to reveal not just the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law. In His Sermon on the Mount, there are multiple iterations of Christ doing this when He says: “You have heard that it was said…But I say to you.” So we see, for example, that by God’s perfect standard looking at a woman lustfully is the same as adultery (Matthew 5:27,28). Christ gets to the heart of the matter here because sin isn’t merely actions we do, but an intrinsic part of our nature: we are sinners.

Did I murder or commit adultery before becoming a Christian? Not by man’s standard, but by God’s standard I stood condemned. And what about those “good” things I had done before I was saved? It is akin to me putting forth a penny toward our multi-trillion dollar national debt. Actually, if you believe the Bible, it was even less than that. In Isaiah 6:46 we read that “all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.” In other words, apart from Christ none of my deeds are viewed by God as righteous. My most righteous actions were as filthy rags in the eyes of God.

Do you think I turn up the contrast too much? Why is it, do you think, that Moses was not allowed to look upon the face of God (Exodus 33:18-23)? Why did Isaiah, when confronted by God’s glory say: “Woe is me! for I am undone” (Isaiah 6:5)? It is because, my friend, God is all holy and we cannot look upon Him and live, as He told Moses, because of our unrighteousness. If we rightfully understand God’s holiness and the true state of our condition, things will begin to come into focus.

Your questions are in accordance with human standards, but that is the wrong perspective because God will not judge us by human standards, but rather His own perfect standard.
 
Doesn’t the “RCC” (as Solus likes to incorrectly refer to the entire Catholic Church as when he should actually abbreviate it as CC) take the position that we are inherently good? Meaning that everything we ever do is because of our desire for God, which is good to do? Even things that appear bad, are actually done for our good. Take suicide for instance. The person that commits it is eliminating the bad thing(s) he is trying to escape in search of something better. Apply that reasoning to anything bad; murder, lust, theft, etc. “Our hearts are restless until they rest in You, O Lord.” - Saint Augustine.
You are sadly mistaken. Go to the Catholic Encyclopedia and look up “Original Sin.” This is pretty fundamental and worth your while to spend time trying to understand. The whole of Scripture refutes the idea that we are inherently good. If we were inherently good, then whence all the sin that surrounds us? And why the need for God to send His Son? Salvation is a free gift of God, but it was not free to obtain. God paid a very high price. There is a reason why He paid that price!
 
Some context:

I quoted Romans 3:11 “There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.”

To which fbl9 responded: “Why did you become a christian after hearing God’s word did you not seek God?”

To which I responded: “So I assume you are disagreeing with Paul here?”

And finally we come to fbl9’s response:
By the very fact that you have sought God, you make St.Paul a liar.
Your line of thought is very perplexing. Ultimately it was the Holy Spirit who inspired Paul’s words. So now you are indicting God Himself.

Another correction is also needed: I did not seek God, but it was God who first inclined my heart to Him. The RCC also teaches that God makes the first move toward us rather than vice-versa. He takes the initiative by extending to us His grace. Although you do not seem to place much weight on Scripture, one example where God is shown as taking the initiative:

“but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
sorry but the instance you quote from the gospel doesn’t apply or fit in with what you are saying. This tradtion doesn’t clarify but fills the pockets.
Which tradition? I did not mention a specific tradition. If you are going to make an argument, at least try and make it against something I have said.
But a part isn’t the whole, now is it?
James 2:10: “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.”
Before knowing God did you know that looking lustfully is a sin? No you didn’t, so without the Law there is no sin.
Romans 5:13 says otherwise. There is still sin, it just is not “counted.” Does this ignorance exhonerate us? The very next verse makes it clear that it does not, because “death reigned from Adam to Moses.” Furthermore, Romans 1:18-20 discusses what is known as the Natural Law showing that no one is excused or exempted from God’s standards and judgement: “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”

This notion of Natural Law, by the way, is also acknowledged by the RCC. Honestly I am not sure why I am having to explain to you something your own church teaches.
So you admit that you were able to do good without God. Goes against what St.Paul said.And your own theology.
I am not sure what makes you so sure you know better than Paul (or the Holy Spirit which inspired Paul for that matter). I suppose you could say I did good so long as you are content to use human standards. Unfortunately, appealing to human standards will not get you very far with God. This is actually the very fault of Israel, because they tried to establish their own righteousness instead of submitting to God’s righteousness. You can read all about it in Romans 10:3, not that you seem to have much use for Paul, but just in case.
Read on and we see God cleansed Isaih’s lips with a hot coal. We also read earlier that Isaiah saw the Lord.
“Cleansed” is the key word here, buddy. Thank you for reinforcing my point!
 
Solus Christus;7917448 [QUOTE said:
]Some context:
I quoted Romans 3:11 “There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.”
To which fbl9 responded: “Why did you become a christian after hearing God’s word did you not seek God?”
To which I responded: “So I assume you are disagreeing with Paul here?”
And finally we come to fbl9’s response:
Your line of thought is very perplexing. Ultimately it was the Holy Spirit who inspired Paul’s words. So now you are indicting God Himself.
But you state none seek God. though shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Another correction is also needed: I did not seek God, but it was God who first inclined my heart to Him. The RCC also teaches that God makes the first move toward us rather than vice-versa. He takes the initiative by extending to us His grace. Although you do not seem to place much weight on Scripture, one example where God is shown as taking the initiative:
You state you didn’t seek God yet you still sought him. Of course you acted and sought God.Having been inclined by grace you resist and live a life of sin and denial, are you seeking God? No you are not.see above
“but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
May i ask what does not seeking God have to do with His love for us?
Which tradition? I did not mention a specific tradition. If you are going to make an argument, at least try and make it against something I have said.
My mistake perhaps you should explain the purpose of the scripture you used The Gospel according to St.Matthew 15:6
James 2:10: “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.”
Having not sinned by deed or thought are those thus guilty as your scriptural application?How are they not guilty if they are totally depraved?
Romans 5:13 says otherwise. There is still sin, it just is not “counted.” Does this ignorance exhonerate us? The very next verse makes it clear that it does not, because “death reigned from Adam to Moses.” Furthermore, Romans 1:18-20 discusses what is known as the Natural Law showing that no one is excused or exempted from God’s standards and judgement: “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
This notion of Natural Law, by the way, is also acknowledged by the RCC. Honestly I am not sure why I am having to explain to you something your own church teaches.
And it is your claim that you seem to have to.
I am not sure what makes you so sure you know better than Paul (or the Holy Spirit which inspired Paul for that matter). I suppose you could say I did good so long as you are content to use human standards. Unfortunately, appealing to human standards will not get you very far with God. This is actually the very fault of Israel, because they tried to establish their own righteousness instead of submitting to God’s righteousness. You can read all about it in Romans 10:3, not that you seem to have much use for Paul, but just in case.
And whom are you to tell me what is in God’s word. please try to be a tad bit more respectful.

“Cleansed” is the key word here, buddy. Thank you for reinforcing my point!Please refrain from using the postion “buddy” with me in a formal discussion. I find it disrespectful
 
But you state none seek God. though shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
I am having a very difficult time communicating with you. I did not state that there are none who seek God, God said it! I am pointing to what God said because, of course, it is true. You are arguing (or at least it appears) that God is wrong and that man does seek God. I am speaking of unregenerate man here. Maybe that is where the confusion is (I hope!).

Is your contention that human nature is inherently good and therefore seeks after God? This is the way I am understanding you, so please clarify if I am wrong.
You state you didn’t seek God yet you still sought him. Of course you acted and sought God.Having been inclined by grace you resist and live a life of sin and denial, are you seeking God? No you are not.see above
Huh??? It sure sounds like you are contradicting yourself here. I do not know what you are trying to say. Please clarify.
May i ask what does not seeking God have to do with His love for us?
Quite a bit! It demonstrates that God’s love is not like our love. Human love tends to be conditional. God’s love is unconditional. God did not wait until we started to seek Him or stopped being sinners (if that were even possible) before He sent His Son.
My mistake perhaps you should explain the purpose of the scripture you used The Gospel according to St.Matthew 15:6
Yes, Christ in this passage mentions a specific tradition, but I was not referring to that tradition. Christ’s statement (“So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God.”) is much broader in scope. He says essentially the same thing in verse 3 of that chapter where He was referring to another tradition (hand washing). In other words, Christ’s statement was not made against that one tradition only.
Having not sinned by deed or thought are those thus guilty as your scriptural application?How are they not guilty if they are totally depraved?
Once again, it is not really clear to me what you are asking. To whom does “those” refer in your first question?

James is identifying a general principle here: Even a single violation of God’s law is sufficient to condemn. Therefore, we are all under condemnation and in need of a Savior.
And it is your claim that you seem to have to.
Do you not accept the RCC’s teaching on Original Sin and Natural Law? I get the distinct impression that you do not. Please clarify.
And whom are you to tell me what is in God’s word.
This is par for the course, fbl9. In this forum people quote Scripture. If you find that offensive, then you are in the wrong place.
Please refrain from using the postion “buddy” with me in a formal discussion. I find it disrespectful
As you wish.
 
It sounds like you understand why the ideas of papal infallibility and an indefectible Sacred Magisterium are key to any discussion on church authority between Catholics and Protestants. If you are trying to clarify my original statement, however, I think you are off by quite a bit. The response is somewhat…unorthodox. The soul of the Church is the Holy Spirit? That does not sound theologically correct. It sounds more like you are confusing the Church with God. I hope I am stating the obvious when I say that they are two distinct entities.
I can understand why this definition of the Church would seem “unorthodox”. 500+ years ago, your spiritual ancestors broke away from orthodoxy, and have been drifting ever since. Of course, modern evangelicals, by and large do not realize this, and they think that the Catholic view is the one that is “off quite a bit”.

But, if you are willing to receive what is said by Scripture, Jesus breathed into His fledgling Church, commanding that they receive the HS. In the fullness of time, that HS did, indeed, fill them. The Church is defined as those who walk by that Spirit. Decisions about the care of the flock are made collegially between the HS and those appointed by Christ (Magesterium).

On what grounds would you reject that the HS is the Soul of the Church? How can the Body of Christ exist without a Soul, and how can His Body have any other Soul?
 
Does an avatar have a soul, much less the soul of the person it represents? You and guanophore really need to think through the implications of what you are saying. The Holy Spirit is of the same essence of God the Father and Christ the Son. It is not of the same essence as the Church. The Holy Spirit may indwell His Church and His people individually, but those people still retain their soul and the Holy Spirit does not become their soul. This is logically untenable and theologically dangerous.
It is the same quandary the Church had to work out during the early heresies of Arianism, Nestorianism, Montanism , and Gnosticism. All these challenged the nature of Christ, and the Church had to further define the Apostolic faith in order to preserve the once for all deposit of faith.

They chose the term “hypostatic union” to describe the will and natures of Christ. Jesus is fully human, and fully God. The divine will does not stamp out the human, and vice versa. The Church, His Body/Bride, is similar-human nature, and divine nature. Neither invalidates or cancels the other.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top