C
CatholicFireman
Guest
I was working my shift in a firehouse an hour north of NYC on the Hudson when the planes passed overhead. When the first plane struck we (like most I suspect) thought it was an accident. My wife, who at the time was in the Air National Guard full time called me after the second plane hit and I told her I’m calling my parents to pick our daughter up at school (her 5th grade teacher had the tv on and quickly turned it off). Both of our bases (I was a federal fireman at the time) were locked down so we didn’t see each other for almost a week.
I lost quite a few men who helped me during my carreer. Two people who used to work in my department had two different outcomes. One who I worked with before he went to FDNY passed when the towers came down. The other who went to FDNY before I got to the upstate department (but we knew each other) was the captain of the Miracle in the Stairwell crew ( news.yahoo.com/fire-chief-saved-by-9-11-good-deed-.html ). So this is a mix of emotions for me.
R.I.P. Richard “Bruce” VanHine of Squad 41.
I lost quite a few men who helped me during my carreer. Two people who used to work in my department had two different outcomes. One who I worked with before he went to FDNY passed when the towers came down. The other who went to FDNY before I got to the upstate department (but we knew each other) was the captain of the Miracle in the Stairwell crew ( news.yahoo.com/fire-chief-saved-by-9-11-good-deed-.html ). So this is a mix of emotions for me.
R.I.P. Richard “Bruce” VanHine of Squad 41.