Which type of crucifix do you have?

• Thread starter Thread starter huskerfan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskerfan

I love the traditional crucifix of the crucified Christ because it takes me to a place I need to be in regards to seeing His suffering for me. Just wondering what others think.

I have one of the crucified Christ hanging on the wall and I wear one of the crucified Christ.

PF

Neither! It’s been on my mind lately, though, and I’d like one with the crucified Christ. A cross just doesn’t cut it for me. 😛 Now, where to get one?

-Rob

I have a real aversion to a “crucifix” with a “risen” Christ. It is not what happened (the Faith is grounded in history, remember), and it bespeaks a theology that underplays His work of, and our need for, redemption.

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen observed:

Keep your eyes on the crucifix, for Jesus without the cross is a man without a mission, and the cross without Jesus is a burden without a reliever.

Just so, Your Grace, just so.

Blessings,

Gerry

Gerry Hunter:
I have a real aversion to a “crucifix” with a “risen” Christ. It is not what happened (the Faith is grounded in history, remember), and it bespeaks a theology that underplays His work of, and our need for, redemption.

Keep your eyes on the crucifix, for Jesus without the cross is a man without a mission, and the cross without Jesus is a burden without a reliever.

Blessings,

Gerry
I love your response. I have also always felt an “aversion” to the risen Christ and was never really sure why. You gave me the reason why without even me realizing it! Thank you!!

Gerry Hunter:

Blessings,

Gerry
**I Totally agree! I don’t like the risen christ on the cross thing. It doesn’t make any sense. They should put a ban on those. The risin Christ is best in an icon or statue. **

We have several crucifixes, a risen christ cross (that was a gift from my husbands sponsor), and a couple of plain crosses as well.

Gerry Hunter:

Blessings,

Gerry
I collect crucifixes and crosses. I have a great devotion to the image of the Crucified Christ and I became interested in the ways in which different cultures and artists portrayed this Ulitimate Reality. I have over sixty displayed en masse on one wall, from all over the world. Friends bring them back to me from trips they take. There are crosses mixed in with them, as well, like Ethiopian processional crosses in nickel (several of those), Eastern Orthodox crosses (beautifully carved), and others. There is nothing wrong with displaying a cross without a Corpus on it, by the way. The Cross is a glorious symbol, and the Church used to have a feast (may still be on the calendar as an optional, not sure) called the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The rule is that there must be a Crucifix (Cross with Corpus) displayed prominiently in the sanctuary during the offering of Mass. It cannot be a Risen Christ, it must specifically be a Corpus. The Church, however, doesn’t forbid the empty Cross to be displayed.

As for the Risen Christ, it shouldn’t be displayed in the Sanctuary during Mass (some parishes get around this by displaying the processional Crucifix at the Altar during the offering of the Mass), but it too CAN have significant meaning (some are just plain odd looking). One of my treasure possessions is a hand-carved Cross with Christ as the Great High Priest displayed on it. He has His Hands stretched out the exact same way as a Corpus, but He is clothed in the robes of a priest (chasuble and stole) and He’s wearing a crown. It’s very beautiful!

For those of you who wish to buy older crucifixes (I must say that the older ones are far more beautiful, plus they have a history to them, even if it is unkown…subjective opinion, however), you should try Ebay. You have to wade through a small amount of dreck, but it’s worth it.

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
The Cross is a glorious symbol, and the Church used to have a feast (may still be on the calendar as an optional, not sure) called the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.
September 14 – It is ranked as a Feast of the Lord.

:bible1:
tee

All of my crosses are crucifixes because the empty cross reminds me of my Protestant days in which we talked a lot about the “saving power of the cross” as if it weren’t the Person on the cross that ought to be the center of our meditations, ala Paul’s teaching while almost totally ignoring Christ’s teaching that we must take up our cross daily and follow him.

That being said, though, in the Discalced Carmelite tradition, newly professed members are given a plain cross as a symbol that they must “take up their cross daily” to follow Jesus. I think that a truly lovely and legitimate reason for having a plain cross.

As for the risen Christ on the cross, it’s all right for personal devotion, but it most certainly is not to be displayed within the nave or sanctuary of a church or chapel because of the false theological implication that no sacrifice was needed for our redemption.

I am trying to recall a vision of a saint that I once read…it invlolved the saint praying and a cross being shown to him in a vision and he said get away from me satan…satan asked how he knew it was him and the saint replied that Jesus was not on the cross, and the devil would have us forget about the sacrifice of Christ by taking him off the cross. Not sure if that was how it went exactly but interesting nonetheless…have any of you read what I’m talking about?

There was no option for “Three of the crucified Christ”! 😛

I have the wooden cross with a bronze crucified Christ and bronze symbols for the four evangelists on each of the four corners of the cross. I have the San Damiano Franciscan cross in our bedroom. I wear a blessed Celtic cross around my neck.

I have the San Damiano crucifix too. I also have a replica of the one the Pope carries (in my hallway) and in my living room I have a wooden Crucifix with a bronze figure of Christ.I have a tiny one which should be worn around the neck but I broke the chain! So now it lives in my bedroom.

40.png
tee_eff_em:
September 14 – It is ranked as a Feast of the Lord.

:bible1:
tee

The feast that was abolished was the Invention of the Cross, on May 3. John XXIII abolished it in 1960.​

I have a lovely crucifix on my bedroom wall.

Whats a Benedictine cross?

Michael 🙂

I wear a papal crucifix.In my house I have some crucifixes on the walls.The one in my bedroom I carved in wood.The others are from different materials,they’re gifts from family and friends.:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back